Author Topic: Single man shelter  (Read 2936 times)

Offline alekhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
Single man shelter
« on: Oct 24, 2013, 10:07 PM »
Well it stating to get a little colder and I'm looking to buy a new shack I have a big base camp for when i go out with others but a lot of times by my self I wan some thing smaller and more mobile any suggestions or tips on what to get thanks in advance
I'm not brightest tool in the shed my ice auger is

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
Re: Single man shelter
« Reply #1 on: Oct 24, 2013, 10:20 PM »
I have a Jason Mitchell pro thermal but if you can get a older fish trap on cl thats a good one too! and the cheaper you can get one the more mods you can do to it!! ;D
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline alekhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 24, 2013, 10:29 PM »
Is the thermal huts worth the extra money ?

Offline PowerHour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Oct 24, 2013, 10:54 PM »
I have a clam kenai. Great one man flip over. Plenty of space to fish, run a heater and store gear! Good buy,a beverage holder is molded into the sled along with pole holder holes and a tray for bait/hooks/everything else.
REEL FISHERMAN DO IT ON THE ICE

Offline ULking

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Ice Baby!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2013, 01:05 AM »
Is the thermal huts worth the extra money ?
not needed really...you can add a reflective material to a regular one and its the same concept...just prevents moisture built up on the ceiling of your hut
A bad day of fishin is still better than a good day at work!!

Offline HuskerPike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2013, 01:45 AM »
Depends on what your looking for and what you want to spend. I just bought a Clam Scout on Craigslist a month ago for $100. I have a Frabill Ultra Lite as well. Both good huts and both were inexpensive.

My personal suggestion is to get one with a good seat. My Frabil Ultra Lite has no seat, so you sit on a 5 gallon bucket. Big reason I bought the Clam was it fits in my cargo area of my SUV perfectly without folding down seats. And the Scout has a built in seat with backrest. Not the best seat, but better than the 5 gallon bucket I was used to in previous years.

Watch the forums and craigslist. If you're patient, you can snag a good hut for cheap. I have no experience with the new thermal huts, but they sure do look nice.

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2013, 04:56 PM »
I picked the Frabill commando thermal last year at the St. Paul ice show and I love it a lot of room in the sled. It really never got cold enough to see if the thermal kept me warmer. I also saw PowerHours one man clam last season and liked what it had to offer as well.

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2013, 07:54 PM »
I own a Clam Pro TC which has a thermal top. It is a significant difference here in Wyoming. Recently ordered up a Clam Jason Mitchel 5000T, 5-sided full thermal hub style pop-up. My next flip will be a full thermal. Just the difference in heat retention and the inside not sweating is worth it imo. Clam does have a full single flip call Thermal Legend.

wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline alekhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2013, 05:50 AM »
Ok I have decided on thermal commando single flip but does any one know who might have in store soo I don't half to order off line ?

Offline PowerHour

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Oct 31, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Maybe call Cabelas or Scheels to see if they have one in stock? If not order one and I believe it's free shipping for in store pick up. You better check tho. Then you have an excuse to shop around ;)
REEL FISHERMAN DO IT ON THE ICE

Offline Stutz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Oct 31, 2013, 08:50 PM »
Ok I have decided on thermal commando single flip but does any one know who might have in store soo I don't half to order off line ?
If I was you I would just make a trip to the St. Paul ice fishing show in Dec. and just pick one up there. Its just a little drive north of here ;D ;D

Offline alekhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 31, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Could swing up there get a new but a go do some fishing also but will probly just get it offline

Offline inHISgrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Nov 05, 2013, 09:42 AM »
Jason Mitchell pro thermal all the way well worth the money
I LIKE FISHING BUT LIKE CATCHING EVEN MORE

Offline Spark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 07, 2013, 11:17 PM »
Only problem with the Jason Mitchell is they don't offfer the 1man anymore.

Offline Fish-icer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Nov 08, 2013, 06:59 AM »
Only problem with the Jason Mitchell is they don't offfer the 1man anymore.

Spark!  Glad to see your wife let you back on to this site.  That 5 month ban went fast.

Offline inHISgrip

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2013, 05:06 PM »
i would get a 2 man the one mans are very small. most 2 mans are only a little bit heavier and the space is well worth the weight and cost
I LIKE FISHING BUT LIKE CATCHING EVEN MORE

Offline wyoutdoors

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2013, 06:00 PM »
i would get a 2 man the one mans are very small. most 2 mans are only a little bit heavier and the space is well worth the weight and cost
Agreed. I think the next flip I get will be a thermal Clam Nanook. I have a ProTC now and if you remove one of the seats from the Nanook, it weighs almost the same as the ProTC does. If someone happens to come by, they can sit in the bucket or folding chair! Can never complain about the extra room with little to no extra weight!  ;)

- wyoutdoors  :tipup:

Offline Spark

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Nov 13, 2013, 04:38 PM »
The Legend Thermal which is what replaced  the JM pro 1 man weighs 70# & costs $399 while the JM thermal X 2 man weighs 115# & costs $829. The 2 man IMHO is not worth the extra 45# no matter what the cost is, but I also like to be very mobile.  This is why I sold my 2 man. Plus half the time I dont have it flipped up anyways so. Again these are just my opions not trying to argue.  Hope to see ya all on the ice soon.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #18 on: Nov 13, 2013, 04:50 PM »
x2 JM thermal my friend just bought one and they are a great shack
Never to many short poles

Offline Corndog

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • waiting for the ice....
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2013, 04:58 PM »
... but if you can get a older fish trap on cl thats a good one too! and the cheaper you can get one the more mods you can do to it!! ;D

I scored an older Dave Getz Fish Trap off CL.... $50! Super psyched to get it on the ice!
It is what it is....

Offline alekhunts

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2013, 10:07 PM »
After doing some shopping and deep thinking I think I'm going to get a two man flip overe shelter soo I don't half to use my hub style any more

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.