New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827936 times)

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #4500 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:24 PM »
Finally got a keeper!  (Image removed from quote.)  Also two other shorts and did well on Perch. Weather was unbelievable, great day on the ice!
Also wanted to add a special thanks to Snagger and filetandrelease for sharing their fellowship, knowledge and experience. You guys are awesome! Thank you!

Way to go Bart :clap: :clap:

Offline conesuscrab

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4501 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:30 PM »
Nice mess Bart.  Great pictures!

Offline BROOKIEGILLY

• Team IceShanty Regular

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #4503 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:34 PM »

:thumbsup: CONGRATULATIONS BART!!!!!! :thumbsup:
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #4504 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:36 PM »
Everyone keep in mind ice thicknesses vary from spot to spot. I was fishing a location Sunday afternoon. Way  point to waypoint. Ice trolling. Came across 6 1/2" of white ice with 1" of clear ice. Nope go to leave and what do I notice a VERY small natural spring next to me. Open water! Should've spudded my way out there.. Keep walking and found 10-14" black ice not too far from there.

Ice has been 11-14 inches for some time now, that was a gas hole, hope you marked it.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4505 on: Feb 04, 2014, 08:59 PM »
I don't know about you guys but I could fish all day with cross eye just listening to stories of the way it use to be and never care if I caught a fish, great stories !!!!!

And he would love to tell stories all day! "He could talk a dog off a meat wagon"  ;D

While im not as old as Cross, I do have many memories on Oneida going back to the early 80's. We had a good friend who had a place in lower South Bay - we fished out from the islands to the 130 area - pimples with a perch eye under a bobber on one rod and jigem-ups and a rubber mayfly on the other rod. Took a nice swim there in '82, 2 of 7 snowmobiles went in coming off to our friends place that day. Never forget it. It was a Wednesday, warm and calm and everyone was pounding fish. You could hear everyone talking about fishing on Saturday. Well, lots of people went in all along the south shore that day and sat was spent fishing out 2 machines.
When our friend sold his place we started fishing the north shore - mostly Spruce Grove and Kirshners(ABC) then another friend bought a place in Cleveland and we fished out of there ALOT. I remember Trips flat bottom boat rides, they were about the coolest thing going for a 10yr old. I also remember his gutted out bus he used to take people out. Dad always insisted we sat near the back door with the door open  ;D

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #4506 on: Feb 04, 2014, 10:21 PM »
I have a feeling tomorrow is gonna be a good bite

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #4507 on: Feb 05, 2014, 12:03 AM »

well done bart , you had a very nice day 

Offline Cross-Eye-Jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4508 on: Feb 05, 2014, 02:43 AM »
And he would love to tell stories all day! "He could talk a dog off a meat wagon"  ;D
  I got your meat wagon ! ;D ;D ;D

While im not as old as Cross, I do have many memories on Oneida going back to the early 80's. We had a good friend who had a place in lower South Bay - we fished out from the islands to the 130 area - pimples with a perch eye under a bobber on one rod and jigem-ups and a rubber mayfly on the other rod. Took a nice swim there in '82, 2 of 7 snowmobiles went in coming off to our friends place that day. Never forget it. It was a Wednesday, warm and calm and everyone was pounding fish. You could hear everyone talking about fishing on Saturday. Well, lots of people went in all along the south shore that day and sat was spent fishing out 2 machines.
When our friend sold his place we started fishing the north shore - mostly Spruce Grove and Kirshners(ABC) then another friend bought a place in Cleveland and we fished out of there ALOT. I remember Trips flat bottom boat rides, they were about the coolest thing going for a 10yr old. I also remember his gutted out bus he used to take people out. Dad always insisted we sat near the back door with the door open  ;D
   Do you remember an frail, old timer named George Mucci that used to hang out at Tripps all winter ?   He was my uncles buddy.  We called him Pappy.  He was pickled 24 hours a day.  Light a match near him and he'd burst into flames  ;D ;D
  He was a story teller !  Only problem, he'd never finish one !    When he lost his place, he's start singing ! ;D ;D ;D

Offline Pman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4509 on: Feb 05, 2014, 04:53 AM »
Congrats on a fine catch Bart !!

We fished the southeast end of the lake and after an early run, had trouble finding biters. My buddy iced two nice keeper eyes and 5 perch on jigging raps before I even had anything on the screen. After that it was a lot of lookers. After several hours of frustration, a switch to micro jigs with 2 lb test proved to be very effective.  Ended up icing 17, no hogs but just real nice solid fish. Better yet, most were males.  As much fun as it is to find a hot bite, discovering how to trigger neutral or negative fish is just as rewarding.

Some good memories of the old days Cross-eye-jig and DC. Jay didn't know you went for a swim in 1982 - what were you, like 12 years old ? Hope you and Tank are doing well.

Offline fishhooksul

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • I'd rather be on the ice, then in a boat...
« Reply #4510 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:20 AM »

hey DC, who did you know on beach rd. that's where I grew up. alot of great memories fishing out of there !! we used to run a night line in lower south bay, and it was very productive.   Sully...

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4511 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:26 AM »
morning fellas stuck in a plow truck home here in Rochester waiting for the big snow maybe half a inch so far how but up on my favorite lake snowing any harder there northeast wind hope she stay dry up there

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4512 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:26 AM »
morning fellas stuck in a plow truck home here in Rochester waiting for the big snow maybe half a inch so far how but up on my favorite lake snowing any harder there northeast wind hope she stay dry up there

Offline hardwater61

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Rock Doc on MFF
« Reply #4513 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:28 AM »
Nice fish Bart and everyone! :thumbsup:

Nice ride H.T.  It will serve you well!
Wayne W.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4514 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:39 AM »
Newbie needs a little assistance here, I'm new to ice fishing, new like a month kind of new.  I have no problem catching perch in the north bay area, but its walleye I'm really after, I have yet to pull one thru the ice in 4 weekends of fishing, I've brought home countless perch but no eyes, spring and fall I have no issues getting my limit with Swedish pimples, sonars and little cleos.  I read that jig raps work well on the ice but holy Jesus there's 300 variations of color and size. I am mobile with a snowmobile however my son is 4 and loves coming along so moving a few times a day isn't a option if its bitterly cold.  He....we enjoy the heat inside the shanty.  I don't need to get my limit every time out but  don't think 1 or 2 is asking for much for a weekends fishing. No sonar to really tell depth but between my maps and sounding I have a general idea of water depth. Usually use a chrome Swedish pimple (#3) tipped with a minnow head, do I need to invest in some bigger tackle? Do I need to go deeper than 35 fow? I just don't understand what part Im missing, starting to get a little frustrated with this.
wallperch...pm sent
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4515 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:45 AM »

Approx. 6:45 am in Cicero and we have 2.5 inches of grainy snow.  It's definitely a heavier snowfall than the light fluffy lake effect.

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4516 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:46 AM »
Looks  like  we  got  4  inches  here in  Cicero , cancelled  school  my  son  gets to go  fishing  with me  .Don't  know  how  much  snow  fell  north  on the  lake , looks  like the  worst  will be south  of me.

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4517 on: Feb 05, 2014, 05:49 AM »
Only about 2-3 inches here in bernhards bay so far.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4518 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:03 AM »
Greenhead that's just about any kids dream come true hope you guys have a great day and fill a couple buckets

Offline JackPerchSlayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4519 on: Feb 05, 2014, 06:58 AM »
Headed out tomorrow to check out the shoals. I have never fished it before. Can I get a few pointers or types of structure to target once I am out there. I would love to fish with someone else tom and learn a few things from a vet on the lake. PM me if you wouldn't mind a pair of guys tagging along.

Offline Buckethead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4520 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:53 AM »
The snow will make the 4 wheeler ride smoother, it has been hard on the back. I've been riding so slow it makes me crazy :cookoo:

Offline ICE-ADDICT

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2012 storm front off Constantia, ELECTRIFYING!
« Reply #4521 on: Feb 05, 2014, 07:56 AM »
The snow will make the 4 wheeler ride smoother, it has been hard on the back. I've been riding so slow it makes me crazy :cookoo:

Yep bucket, those moguls were TOUGH on the gear!! I don't care how securely it was tied down!
Acting Secretary O.L.L.C.

" I can never tell a lie"  Abraham Lincoln circa  1865
                                     ICE ADDICT circa 2012

"NEVER get out there first!!"

Offline Icemark247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4522 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:20 AM »
Over in jersey we got about  5 to 6 inches now freezing rain. SUX!
Hard Water Addict
FISH ON!!!!

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4523 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:41 AM »
We had 6 inches at 6:30 this morning in Oneida.  I hope it stays south of the lake.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #4524 on: Feb 05, 2014, 08:44 AM »
Hit the North Shore with my Wife yesterday, beautiful day. Only was able to pluck one from the hole, but it was a nice one. Dumped one and marked a few that would not commit. Wife did not like it out there, said it was boring and did not like being confined within the shanty. Got to take her back out when there are other Wives out there, they can do a "Oneida Lake Book Club" or something. Took a pic of the pressure crack that runs along the shore, got real close and the pic makes it look like the Grand Canyon. Its not that big though. Snowing like crazy in the Southern Hills, good luck to whomever is out.

Offline blkgmc79

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4525 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:01 AM »
hey pooch im heading out this afternoon from buffalo staying on noth shore....where abouts is that chrack im nervous with this snow were getting not being able to see it
if u carry it out carry it back in!!

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #4526 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:11 AM »
You can see from the pic, its only a short distance from shore, 200 feet maybe, runs parallel to the shore.

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4527 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:12 AM »
HT nice looking ride im sure your going to enjoy that machine. Bart and pooch nice fish. I Havent posted in awhile as after Ice fishing for over 40yrs I finally had arun in with someone running his ballwasher. I lost my temper and came out of character out on the ice, I leave that side of me in the jungle and come out fishing to unwind and relax. Had to relax and breath for afew days lol. Have read everyones posts though and they were enjoyable and interesting. I knew on Saturday I needed abreak not because of the ballwasher that happened during the week but it was a lets just say full day. In a short story of it I get out on ice and find that the new blades I put on one is backwards and I don't have wrench so back into shore leaving the girlfriend in shanty, get to shore first guys I run into have locked keys in truck so I offer to call triple a for them meantime I find wrench change blades guys decide to wait for friend to come go to get on wheeler and wont start,(just got it back from shop the day before), go out to shanty drill holes she starts fishing, friend calls and he needs atow in as wheller is shot. so leave again go out get him bring into APPS go back to taft where she is fishing and wheeler is slipping out of gear the whole way. Finally figure its just not my day and go home. Can look at it now and laugh and im ready to fish for the next 6 days. Cant wait as it can only go up after them last 2 times out. lol

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #4528 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:14 AM »
If you look at the pic, when we got there in the am, she was opened up pretty good, come noon when we left she actually closed up, hence the new ice forming up in the middle.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #4529 on: Feb 05, 2014, 09:19 AM »
HT nice looking ride im sure your going to enjoy that machine. Bart and pooch nice fish. I Havent posted in awhile as after Ice fishing for over 40yrs I finally had arun in with someone running his ballwasher. I lost my temper and came out of character out on the ice, I leave that side of me in the jungle and come out fishing to unwind and relax. Had to relax and breath for afew days lol. Have read everyones posts though and they were enjoyable and interesting. I knew on Saturday I needed abreak not because of the ballwasher that happened during the week but it was a lets just say full day. In a short story of it I get out on ice and find that the new blades I put on one is backwards and I don't have wrench so back into shore leaving the girlfriend in shanty, get to shore first guys I run into have locked keys in truck so I offer to call triple a for them meantime I find wrench change blades guys decide to wait for friend to come go to get on wheeler and wont start,(just got it back from shop the day before), go out to shanty drill holes she starts fishing, friend calls and he needs atow in as wheller is shot. so leave again go out get him bring into APPS go back to taft where she is fishing and wheeler is slipping out of gear the whole way. Finally figure its just not my day and go home. Can look at it now and laugh and im ready to fish for the next 6 days. Cant wait as it can only go up after them last 2 times out. lol

All good Kowboy, everyone has those days and you are entitled to them. As far as losing your character, people are stupid and inconsiderate and will drive you crazy, trust me I know. I did the same thing with my auger blades at the start of the season, I tried drilling and it didn't work. Had Snag and Fillet come over and point me in the right direction, good thing I brought the tools to change them. Damn things are tricky. As far as the wheeler, go get a new one ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.