New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827957 times)

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #2550 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:43 PM »
Awesome day on the lake, could not have asked for better conditions or weather. Took Racer to the North Shore. Beautiful moon set, glare ice and no wind. Sun came out, did not need the shanty all day. Morning bite was tough, no fish up until 1100ish or so. They were glued to the bottom, in fact they were so tight to the bottom, you did not even know they were there. The afternoon bite picked up, glad we stuck it out. I got two keepers a Bourbit and a Perch, Racer got 4 keepers and 1 short. Some of them were slobs. So we walked out to the man waiting at shore to show him our catch. No problems though. Word to the wise for this upcoming weekend....we watched two guys coming across the lake on a sled, full bore. Guess what happened????? They blew the damn thing up. There is no snow to cool them down. They almost dumped it sideways after it blew up, got lucky. So don't bring the sleds. Ice thickness is 8" plus. Heres some pics, good luck during the weekend, be safe.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2551 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:44 PM »

I hear you, it took me 3 years, and alot of money for gas and bait until i figured it out,, still learning more and more everyday though, but thats what keeps the blood pumpin'! keep at it.. ask around and do your homework...fyi, you'll get more info from people on the ice than you will on this site, but the reports are still fun to read with good info also. gd luck :tipup:

Compared to me you are a quick learner! I'll be there next week! It's going to be my turn, I can feel it in my bones or it's the rheumatism :-\

pooch2543, Awesome pics by the way!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2552 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:48 PM »
All of you knocking the eyes down. The time, effort, miles and leg work I have put into Oneida over the past couple weeks and have only iced one eye. My first year fishing Oneida sure does have a huge learning curve, I must be doing something seriously wrong! I used to believe I was a top of the line ice head until I met Oneida lake. Ouch.

I'll send you  a little PM many on hear will help , if one shows a little effort in looking on their own , and there is alot of info given , there is another thread asking questions on this lake , [oneida lake eyes] I believe , PM on its way , now if any of works share just a little make the next guy work a little  ;) us older guys don't mind helping but we do like to see guys earn their keep 

Offline razvy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2553 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:48 PM »
Nice catch , what a difference on your face between first picture and the one you holding those eyes, congratulation.
The thinner the ice, the more anxious is everyone to see whether it will bear.

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #2554 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:51 PM »
Awesome day on the lake, could not have asked for better conditions or weather. Took Racer to the North Shore. Beautiful moon set, glare ice and no wind. Sun came out, did not need the shanty all day. Morning bite was tough, no fish up until 1100ish or so. They were glued to the bottom, in fact they were so tight to the bottom, you did not even know they were there. The afternoon bite picked up, glad we stuck it out. I got two keepers a Bourbit and a Perch, Racer got 4 keepers and 1 short. Some of them were slobs. So we walked out to the man waiting at shore to show him our catch. No problems though. Word to the wise for this upcoming weekend....we watched two guys coming across the lake on a sled, full bore. Guess what happened????? They blew the damn thing up. There is no snow to cool them down. They almost dumped it sideways after it blew up, got lucky. So don't bring the sleds. Ice thickness is 8" plus. Heres some pics, good luck during the weekend, be safe.

nice job pooch on the eyes and some great photos :icefish: :icefish: :thumbsup:
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2555 on: Jan 16, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Nice job on the eyes Pooch and Racer ;)

Wish I was out there but was trying to get some work done this week while its a bit warmer.

I have not tried it this year but for the guys worried about Chapman, maybe check out the South Shore launch just down the road.  I would stay away from the islands but there is a huge lot and easy access to the lake.  There are usually some cracks around there but may be better than Chapman.

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2556 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:01 PM »

great job and pics pooch

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2557 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:04 PM »
Great pictures Pooch !!!! and fish !  :thumbsup:
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2558 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:27 PM »
orangcrush17,

I'm a steel city native living in Syracuse now. Not all bad down there, don't have the ice like we do but there are some decent open water fisheries down there. see if you can do something about getting the pirates to the seris next year.

Hey Steel City folks...at least you have/had Primani Brothers, the world famous deli, to get the World's BEST Sandwich... :bow: :bow: :bow:

Good job to all you Diehards for all the success :clap:
I will be back out Sun and Mon...

AW

Offline recordbreaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2559 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:27 PM »
just bought another sled. it's a yamaha exiter 95 in amazing cond. great sled for my 14, and 17 year old grand kids who love to fish !!! looking for a cheap 2 man shanty. any help would be great !! thanks.   Sully...
Jim, i sent you a PM..might have what you are looking for...i am ed's bro - in - law  ( power plant)

Offline Racer268

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2560 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:31 PM »
Fun day Pooch.  My first time over the boarder! I learned a lot today.  App's Buckeyes are great.  I didn't have a single dead one in my bucket all day.  I stopped back on the way home to see if they would have one of those jigs I lost.  Had it, on the shelf.  Thanks for introducing me to the other side. 

Offline recordbreaker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2561 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:33 PM »
fishooksul."jim,haven't posted in years as you can see....call me 623-9235.  Have what you are looking for.

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2562 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:40 PM »
Nice fish pooch.  It was a beautiful day today.  Too bad I was stuck at work.  It would've been great just to get out and enjoy the weather on the ice.  Looks like you did.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #2563 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:52 PM »
Fun day Pooch.  My first time over the boarder! I learned a lot today.  App's Buckeyes are great.  I didn't have a single dead one in my bucket all day.  I stopped back on the way home to see if they would have one of those jigs I lost.  Had it, on the shelf.  Thanks for introducing me to the other side.

Had fun, Bill. Apps is awesome, I love the bait there. As far as jigs and other stuff, they usually have it. Its just a nice little cozy place and as you saw today, there are little things about it that keep you coming back.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #2564 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:54 PM »
fished williams park this afternoon.....ice was great....9-10"....and slick as heck.....had the wheeler and it was fine other than getting on the ice....was a little tough but doable.....fishing,not so great....dink city.....couple of keepers and two 14 7/8" eyes :'(....huge picklehead also.....spit the hook at the hole thank you ;).....georgeous sunset.....lost a screw for the blade on the auger,thank goodness for bhammer....thanks bud

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2565 on: Jan 16, 2014, 06:58 PM »
got Colleen to Oneida today and we had ablast. She wanted to pull the 2 man so I let her as it was so easy walking today you didn't even know the sled was behind you. We decided to go after the perch and after many sops and holes we finally releaved Oneida of a bunch What abeautiful day to be out

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #2566 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:01 PM »
Today was the best day I've had on the ice ever. The weather was perfect. I don't own a shanty and days like this are rare. Cold enough to form ice but the sun keeps ya warm. I didn't even need gloves/hat. On top of that I couldnt keep the eyes off my pimple! Heck I was even getting them on my tipups. Caught a biggg ol burbot too. Had to reach down and drag him outta the hole. Two bonus jumbos as well. I would guess I caught 50-60 walleye today. 20 of those being keepers. What a blast. Pics to follow! Oh and I found $20 in the dark on the drag out while I was picking up other peoples garbage. Cmon folks. Don't leave spit bottles and chew cans out there! I doubt it was a fella off of here though. You guys rock!

Offline TheThinIce

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bowhunter first, everything else second.
« Reply #2567 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:02 PM »
Hey guys, I'll be fishing Oneida for the first time this Sat & Sun. I won't have a machine this run up and I know that makes a big difference on access/fishing locations. Disclaimer-I don't want anyone's favorite spot, I was just hoping someone might be kind enough to point a lady in the right direction. Thanks so much!  :)

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #2568 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:09 PM »
Nice fish pooch.  It was a beautiful day today.  Too bad I was stuck at work.  It would've been great just to get out and enjoy the weather on the ice.  Looks like you did.

Exactly right, no morning bite but we did not mind cause the weather was so nice.

Offline pooch2543

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH ON!!!!!
« Reply #2570 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:13 PM »
Nice job, Kowboyup and 315stickbow

Offline huntny30

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • U.S. Navy Senior Chief Retired
« Reply #2571 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:16 PM »
Great pics and fish!

“Never apologize mister, it’s a sign of weakness.”  John Wayne

Offline kowboyup

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2572 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:16 PM »
There are some sweet pics guys, and to all that was out on the ice today to enjoy that beautiful day thanks for sharing it with us.

Offline 315stickbow

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Fishin' fool
« Reply #2573 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:21 PM »
Nice Lawyer stickbow! That's a wall hanger!

Thanks! Fought like a banshee! I had no idea what I had on the end of my line till it swam by the hole. Toughest fighting fish I've caught through the ice. I released it so maybe one of you guys can get him  ;)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #2574 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:27 PM »
315stickbow, Nice!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Nysportxman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2575 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:30 PM »
Exactly right, no morning bite but we did not mind cause the weather was so nice.

I've been fishing for over 15 years but this is only my 2nd year ice fishing.  It's funny how fast time passes by when you're on the ice.  The days are shorter, but I can't ever recall fishing from dawn until dusk and anxiously waiting to it again the next day.

Days like today and a hot bite of perch or walleye definitely helps.  I'm still trying to find my way around the lake and to the fish.  I'm still having a great time doing it.  The wife and kids are actually looking forward to getting out with me.  How cool is that?

Offline greenhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2576 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:33 PM »
Way  to  stick  it out Pooch ,  great  pics  can't  wait to get back  out.

Offline buck 1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2577 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:35 PM »
Nice job, Kowboyup and 315stickbow
    it was nice to meet you and racer today. we are still trying to get the pics of to days catch down loaded
ml

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #2578 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:42 PM »
         After last nights bloodbath, had too fish Oneida again, went straight too where we left off, but the bite was tough, barely squeeked out a limit by 10,am, so we decided we were wasting valuable perch time, got set up for perch around 1030 and had off and on bonanzas all afternoon, no bite at dark or I would of got my limit, I Grabbed 40 jumbos myself on jiggin raps, one that topped out at 14 inches.....the boys piled them up as well, not sure on numbers, but a good pile of fish for everyone, really gorgeous day today, a little too much sun actually, perch got funky mid day for a bit, but eyes filled the gap, I grabbed 8 of those as well.... Ice hardened and built all day hazards are now hard. Heres a picture from about 2 pm, we added too the perch piles after that.

My friend Brian.

Me and my buddy Hamilton

14 inch jolopy.

!

Tonights sunset

ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #2579 on: Jan 16, 2014, 07:47 PM »

Jalopy  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: You kill me bro  ;D That was a nice fish....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.