New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014  (Read 827886 times)

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
Re: ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARDS THREAD 2013/2014
« Reply #8310 on: Apr 02, 2014, 04:30 PM »

nice fish guys , I have been having a blastthe last couple weeks catching flats and seeing guys I fished with 30 years ago, almost like old home week , went out today but not Oneida for half a day caught a few but not real big , hope to get out a few more times before I pack it up and start chasing stream trout  :thumbsup:

and snag you know plenty about ice , with that and common sense wins out on late ice, partners are important when things start changing  , oh year a spud always tells the truth ,  when to walk on black ice and when not to , that came into play late ice last year  ;) wasn't that interesting   :o

I walked around the deep color near the cracks.  ;D!!!!
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline Rugburn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Carpeted boat + rough water = RUGBURN
« Reply #8311 on: Apr 02, 2014, 04:51 PM »
 It's time to grab a few beers and visit your local maple syrup producer. They are boiling and swimming in sap today! I just love the smell of a good wood fired evaporator chugging along. There is no award for being the last person on the ice, right coach W?

Offline Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8312 on: Apr 02, 2014, 05:11 PM »
Fished south shore launch this morning.  Ice is getting pretty bad over there. Tough bite, without the camera it would have been a really long day. Saw something surprising out there today. All the geese around the island were getting nervous so I opened my trap and look over there to see a DEER walking off the island, right through all the geese. It headed toward the launch for a few hundred yards and then headed west to the shore. Not sure why it was out there in the first place. 

Offline missfishy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • here fishy fishy...
« Reply #8313 on: Apr 02, 2014, 05:21 PM »
Nice fishing with you guys as well Snagger and Stormy.to bad about your spud Shane .Stormy shouldn't have told you to check that crack for him.  ;)   ;D  couldn't help myself Stomy.You are two of the nicest guys we've ever run into.thanks for the jig, the spikes, the stickers and the advice.To bad I didn't run into you sooner I may have caught more fish this winter. Good luck on the river

Offline kingfisher22

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8314 on: Apr 02, 2014, 05:27 PM »
It was a good season, and despite its duration it didn't seem like such a long winter to me.  I don't know how people make it through the winter up here without winter hobbies?  Waiting for each and every weekend to get on the ice sure makes the season fly by.  I'm really not ready for the soft water even though I've been fishing it for weeks.  I need some down time for maintenance, but pretty sure I won't take it until something beaks and I'm forced to take it.

The tail end wasn't as productive for me as others on here, but I found good fishing elsewhere so I can't complain.  Hope to maybe, just maybe, hit my crappie lake up north one more time before putting my ice gear away.  See ya on the other side.

Offline scout57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • life's to short,lets go ice fishin'
« Reply #8315 on: Apr 02, 2014, 05:53 PM »
Fished south shore launch this morning.  Ice is getting pretty bad over there. Tough bite, without the camera it would have been a really long day. Saw something surprising out there today. All the geese around the island were getting nervous so I opened my trap and look over there to see a DEER walking off the island, right through all the geese. It headed toward the launch for a few hundred yards and then headed west to the shore. Not sure why it was out there in the first place.
hey Z......I was the other guy out there this morning at the ss launch.....that deer was pretty cool......was surprised it walked across the ice so well.......bite was a little off this morning.....still managed to catch a few dozen sunnies and gills......didn't keep any today, just having fun and saying that I ice fished on april 2nd......that ramp had to have been a little hairy when you came in because it was getting nasty when I left at 9:30

Offline coachwarner

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8316 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:22 PM »
It's time to grab a few beers and visit your local maple syrup producer. They are boiling and swimming in sap today! I just love the smell of a good wood fired evaporator chugging along. There is no award for being the last person on the ice, right coach W?
Exactly!

see ya all on MFF! ;)

Offline Z

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8317 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:25 PM »
Scout, the launch was shot when I got off at 3. That was my last outing for the year. It was nice to end the season with a limit, even better to end it dry and with a limit!!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8318 on: Apr 02, 2014, 06:30 PM »
Scout, I have a lot of respect for you for not keeping every single keeper fish you catch. Especially this year when people continually abused those panfish day after day.

Shane, great ending to the season! As always, I enjoyed following your season and learned a few things along the way. You need to stop donating those spuds to the fish gods!!!  ;D

It was a great winter. It didn't seem long to me either KF22. I can still remember not being able to sleep on Christmas night because I was going ice fishing the next day for the first trip of the year.

See everyone on MFF. T minus 1 month until the eye opener!!!

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8319 on: Apr 02, 2014, 08:14 PM »
Nice fishing with you guys as well Snagger and Stormy.to bad about your spud Shane .Stormy shouldn't have told you to check that crack for him.  ;)   ;D  couldn't help myself Stomy.You are two of the nicest guys we've ever run into.thanks for the jig, the spikes, the stickers and the advice.To bad I didn't run into you sooner I may have caught more fish this winter. Good luck on the river

It was great seeing you guys again Mr and Miss Fishy ..... Way to stir the pot  ;D Now you know for ever more .... It is ALWAYS Stormy's fault  :woot:

Well boys and girls that is a wrap ... all the good and the bad of it . Got my ass beat again by 10 .... Great day..... Great season ... Mr Mucky great times .... To the river !
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline choo choo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8320 on: Apr 02, 2014, 09:26 PM »
Congrats on another fish filled Oneida ice season Snag...I really enjoyed all the reports and pictures!
See ya up on the river later this week .

Congrats to you too Stormy...great job on all the fish this year!

You guy's are true Oneida Lake Diehards!!

My boots on some ice... A line down a hole...Some fish on the screen... And a flag in the air !......Winter is Good !!

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8321 on: Apr 02, 2014, 09:59 PM »
Well I guess if you guys are giving up she must be just about done.  Was hoping to get out there in April just to say so but this work thing just gets in the way.  Awesome job on the fish guys. 

Here's a few highlights to my season. Wasn't the best season for me as far as catching the fish but had some good times getting my kids out there!

My nephew on his first ice fishing trip. First Walleye ever!

Finally got my daughter out on the ice for the first time!

Her first Perch

My son with our first Crappie's. He actually got his before I did.

Mine was bigger though!

Very sad it's over, got me some new fishing buds for next year. Can't wait!

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8322 on: Apr 02, 2014, 10:06 PM »
Awesome pics RTXGuy!  :thumbsup:
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline Stormy_NY

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8323 on: Apr 02, 2014, 11:19 PM »
  ´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸ ><((((((º> 

Offline H.T.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing is what i live for-END OF STORY
« Reply #8324 on: Apr 03, 2014, 04:16 AM »
great picture RTX :thumbsup:
"HEY FREDDIE"-FISH ON! PROUD MEMBER OF THE OLLC

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8325 on: Apr 03, 2014, 05:00 AM »
Good stuff RTX!   :clap:

Offline drowndin dots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Kings of the pond
« Reply #8326 on: Apr 03, 2014, 05:27 AM »
Good stuff RTX!   :clap:
X 5, just plain Awesome :clap: :clap: :thumbsup:

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8327 on: Apr 03, 2014, 06:09 AM »
22 here right now. Too bad I have to work...  :'(

Offline Oldtimer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8328 on: Apr 03, 2014, 06:11 AM »
22 here right now. Too bad I have to work...  :'(
22 now and 50 yesterday and near that today............... Probably a good thing you have to work....

Offline mdupper

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing is the sport of Choice !
« Reply #8329 on: Apr 03, 2014, 06:20 AM »
Hey guys great year on the ice . Had a great year and it was fun fallowing your post great pics.RTX time to put the shanty away and get the boat ready to go  :)  ..
Have a great summer all enjoy
:) Keep Your Lines Tight :)

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #8330 on: Apr 03, 2014, 06:21 AM »
RTXGuy, again simply awesome! Congrat!  ;)
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline Dark Cloud

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8331 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:47 AM »
Great looking rods DC! Glad I finally got to meet the infamous Tank! and, it was great fishing with you guys. ;) One thing though....make sure your keeper fish go in the bucket!!! :woot: I'll be looking for a couple of those rods for next ice season!! ;D--KP @)

That throwing the fish back was classic! I had fish on the screen and wanted to get the jig back down and threw the fish in the hole instead of the jig!  :cookoo: You rods are #003 and #004 in the production line. Gathering components now...

Nice job staying dry Snagg and Stormy, and on the fish. Nice pink car in the backround for the "man hug" photo...  :woot: :woot: ;D

Offline timdog

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8332 on: Apr 03, 2014, 08:59 AM »
RTX ...
 Very good slide show. always good when the kids are involved and happy. I met you in January at Chapman.. was great meeting you then

Offline SNAGGER

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JUST TRYING TO KEEP FISH ON MY SCREEN!
« Reply #8333 on: Apr 03, 2014, 09:21 AM »

Great Pictures RTX!!!   :thumbsup:  your right it was a tough season besides those 2 weeks in January.....  worked harder than normal that's for sure......always fun no matter the outcome on Oneida.

Man that car is ugly isn't it DC .. but keeps my gear out of the elements and runs good.
ONEIDA LAKE NORTHSHORE DIEHARD'S

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8334 on: Apr 03, 2014, 11:14 AM »
Well I finally hung up my ice rods for the season. Had a great long season and had a lot of fun. Didn't get on the ice quite as many times as years past because I've been remodeling my house. Pulling wire and building cabinets eats up a lot of time. A couple of high lights have to be first ice nonstop walleye, being able to cruise the entire lake for weeks on end and placing 3rd in Stormies tournament. Bonus was meeting a lot of great guys and putting a face to some of the ice shanty names.

Offline RTXGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8335 on: Apr 03, 2014, 02:11 PM »
Thanks guys, it was fun.  I really appreciate all of those who contribute here, whether it's a tidbit of info or a good laugh.

I really can't complain much about the season seeing as she gave up some fish when I took the kids out.  They really enjoyed it this year and it was awesome to see those smiles!  I was pretty frustrated at times since I tried to pick some spots I thought would hold fish and I felt like I was drilling the dead sea, I'm not real good at finding spots yet.  While I wish we were all successful, It was comforting to come home and read that even some of the legends were struggling too!   Never found a good jumbo perch bite, not sure where they were but there are a ton of dinks out there for sure!  I learned a bit and one thing for sure while I always thought it would be awesome to have 20" of ice it really makes it a bit more difficult to move around and find fish.  The battery on my auger went dead a few times trying to find fish, never had to worry about that past years.   I fished for flats this year for the first time and it was pretty cool except for the Pickerel epidemic in the shallow water.  Think I will be looking at some in-line set-ups for next season.

While I enjoy the soft water as well, I am really looking forward to being in my tree stand with my bow then back to my favorite, the ice!!!

I don't frequent MFF much but it's "Oneida4life"

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8336 on: Apr 03, 2014, 04:26 PM »

nice pics RTX , always good to see the young ones with a catch

DC your not the only guy to quick release a fish , but it was nice to see someone else do it , and nice trout pics you sent me , well done when our streams calm down we will have at it , next year I will be spending much more time on the flats that was a great time even if I do fish really old school  ;)
 I'm happy with my season personal best eye through the ice thanks to my guide AW on south side eyes , my perch were down but picked away at them , they were tough for me this year , but did stuff some in the freezer , I'm not quite done with the ice think a few more trips are needed 

Offline pimplepounder

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8337 on: Apr 03, 2014, 04:53 PM »
Fellas see ya next year glad everyone made it off safe.Very good season fished open water twice since my last time on the ice and I am ready for it to start freezing again.Stormy I will make sure i hook you next time Shane thanks again for the accomidations this year my son is still talking about his trip with dad and grandpa good luck to all on the open water and see ya next year.Be safe

Offline DeadEyez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8338 on: Apr 03, 2014, 05:03 PM »
Had a great ice season on Oneida this year!  Can't wait to do it again!  See everyone next season and be safe on the water.
NORTH SHORE ONEIDA LAKE DIEHARD

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8339 on: Apr 03, 2014, 06:04 PM »
Sorry Oldtimer, I had to give it one more shot! I went out this afternoon for a few hours. Caught about 20 or so perch and kept a handful. The top layer was okay in some spots and other spots I cut in about 6". I dropped off at Taft and ran out to the middle. I didn't even have to swim the sled out and back either.  ;D

I came across this and I will post it on the GH thread.

Now I am done.  ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.