The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Flipover style house for spearing  (Read 3565 times)

Offline gman46

• IceShanty Rookie
Flipover style house for spearing
« on: Aug 10, 2013, 09:33 AM »
Has anyone speared out of any of the newer insulated flipover houses? I was just curious if the white interior they all seem to have affected the spearing at all. I have to buy a new house this year and it looks like otter and others still have that white interior. I see now that frabill has new houses that are black on the inside. Maybe that's the way to go.

Thanks for any help,
Greg

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Flipover style house for spearing
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2013, 01:19 PM »
Good question…I would like to hear an opinion too.  My cousin and I do a lot of pike fishing out of our clam flipovers and always wanted spear out of them too.  We have not tried yet, seemed too easy to fall in the hole, too much light in the shanty, and not enough head room for the spear.  Anyone out there have any luck spearing with a flipover?

Online Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2013, 03:24 PM »
Like r3kenned said, seems there wouldn't be enough over head room...
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline gman46

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2013, 05:53 PM »
I have speared out of them before. I have the original black frabil flip over and it worked really good. It was plenty dark and the there was enough room for 2 guys. Now it is so threadbare all it does is slow the sunlight down as it goes through! A friend had an insulated house that worked well for blocking the sun, but now they all have a white interior and I don't know if the fish will get spooked because of that.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Aug 14, 2013, 06:31 PM »
get a hub shanty more head room, lighter weight, and darker with a floor like the cheap blue mats I use.

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Aug 15, 2013, 08:04 AM »
I am going to try spearing out of my flipover this winter.  I agree with Jason that a HUB style would work much better, but I do not want to buy another one.  I really like my flipover setup…plus I just don’t want to spend another $200-$300 if I can make mine work.

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Aug 15, 2013, 11:54 AM »
Yeah give it a try! I pick my shappel 6000Ih for 149.00 from franks as a factory recondition.

Offline gman46

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Aug 16, 2013, 07:01 PM »
I've speared out of the hub style and it worked great. The only problem is that I fish out of it as well and when we had a hub style on Lake Winnipeg last year the hubs didn't do so well on the windier days. I just saw that Frabill's new insulated flip over is black on the inside and has doors on the side instead of the front. That would make it a little safer getting in and out.

Offline r3kenned

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 02, 2014, 11:54 AM »
Update...Got my flip over all set up for spearing.  Bought a short spear, some wood decoys, and pilfered parts from some old tip-ups and rods for the rigs.  My brother hit a nice pike on our first trip within an hour of setting it up on the ice.  I have been out with it about 4-5 times this year so far and it works great.  It is a little hard to see in the hole on really sunny days and at dusk/dawn.  Head room is not that big of an issue for me, but I am short (5'7").  If you are 6'2" you will have one hell of a backache trying to spear out of it.

Anyone else successful at spearing out of a flip over this season?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.