The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Yellowstone Lake and Lake Belle  (Read 3689 times)

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
Yellowstone Lake and Lake Belle
« on: Nov 16, 2005, 04:13 PM »
Any body fish Yellowstone Lake (in Yellowstone State Park) through the ice?  Another lake in Southern Wisconsin I am interested in is Lake Belle, in Belleville.  Any info on these lakes would be appreciated.  Thanks.
Welcome to the Northwoods! Grab a Leinenkugel's!

Offline dogfish44

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Yellowstone Lake and Lake Belle
« Reply #1 on: Nov 21, 2005, 12:19 PM »
Hi Northwoods Ice,

I fished Yellowstone last year through the ice and did a lot of open water fishing this year.  There is an unbelievable crappie population in this lake.  Most crappies are in the 9-11" range. There's some real nice eyes in here too.  A few weeks ago I caught a 20", 23", and 27" all while fishing for crappie.  Key is to find the cribs and you'll find fish.

Hope this helps.

Dogfish44

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 21, 2005, 01:45 PM »
Wow Dog that sounds like another place i have to get this year.  Do you live around Southern Wisconsin?  I am in Verona.  Sounds like you had a good day fishing at Yellowstone.  In the winter do you access the lake at the boat landing?  Any places on the lake that i should aim for first, I have no electronics(yet) so I would kinda be hitting and missing with a lake like that. Thanks for any tips, i know some people will not give up their honey hole so if you don't want to thats OK with me maybe a hint on your second spot on the lake will do me just fine.  ;D

Offline dogfish44

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 22, 2005, 12:11 PM »
I live in Platteville.  Once the ice is thick enough, you can drive onto the lake at the boat landing access.  You can also park by the dam and walk up the hill to the lake.  I would recommend starting along the dam.  There are several cribs spread along dam about 50 yards from shore.  I don't use electronics so I usually look for areas where a lot of holes were drilled as the cribs are usually below and I know where some are from open water fishing as well.  The south side of the lake has a steep drop off from shore and there are some cribs along there as well.  I really don't have a honey hole - just keep moving around til you find them.  My luck has all been on minnows.  Never caught a thing on waxies but I know of some guys that have.  A glow demon or doodle bug thru the back of a minnow jigged about 2 feet off bottom is where I have caught most of my fish.

Hope this helps.

Dogfish 44 

Offline NorthwoodsIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Nov 28, 2005, 09:27 AM »
Thanks for the info Dogfish.  I cant wait to hit this body of water.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #5 on: Nov 28, 2005, 11:41 AM »
I definitely plan a trip down that way this winter as well.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.