Author Topic: lx5 or 6 or 7  (Read 6773 times)

Offline robbyc

• IceShanty Rookie
lx5 or 6 or 7
« on: Jun 19, 2013, 09:52 PM »
so ive been doing alot of research on the lx-7. I think its absolutely an amazing unit by the looks of it. But there are many mixed reviews. Could any of you members please give me feed back on a few questions i have about the unit please. I was wondering on how the unit holds up in 100-130 feet of water. if it picks up a 1/2 or 3/8 oz jig at that depth. Assuming that this unit is bug free and has the latest software update , will i be happy using this unit in graph mode split with vertical flasher. Please any info would be greatly appreciated.
thanks a ton
robbyc

Offline Cub

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: lx5 or 6 or 7
« Reply #1 on: Jul 16, 2013, 10:03 PM »
My 7 works perfect at that depth..I use the graph and verticle zoom..I mostly use 1/2 ounce tube jigs..
Jig em up!

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jul 17, 2013, 05:20 PM »
I used mostly 3/8oz jigs in over 100' with no issues last year. It has been a great unit for me.

Offline robbyc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jul 19, 2013, 01:31 AM »
thanks guys  ;D

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Sep 18, 2013, 04:07 PM »
got my new Marcum LX7 today looks perttyyy nice an upgrade and switch from Vexilar fl-12 lots of nice features and an 8 in screen as i am finding it harder to see without my glasses lol

Offline chompers

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Sep 18, 2013, 07:55 PM »
Mine came 2 days ago also. Can't wait to use it.lets break em in slymer !!

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Sep 18, 2013, 08:56 PM »
As soon as my fl-18 pukes, ill be switching over to one of those!

Go Beavers!

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Sep 19, 2013, 04:39 AM »
I'm ready chompers ... gonna do more wading for walleye this year theennnn i'll b ready for some ice

Offline PsychologicalPerch

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Catch and Release (Feel better and less fat)
« Reply #8 on: Sep 19, 2013, 06:14 PM »
its a fantastic device
Fishing is a sport in which thinking is involved it is the covenant between nature and man, mother and son. Through fishing only can we recreate the link that has been tarnished throughout the existence of the modern era of mankind. Fishing is the answer yet people ignore it and consider it a "stupid" thing to do. What do these people do instead? They stare in front of color changing boxes. Is that life? My life is fishin

Offline timberwolf204

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Sep 21, 2013, 12:27 PM »
congratulations on the lx7 would love to see them work. I have a vexilar fl-20. almost bought a lx-5 when i bought mine. no one had any around here to compare too. I hear good things on them.

Offline Fontona19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Sep 21, 2013, 07:05 PM »
You guys will be very pleased. Its easily the best money I have spent for ice fishing.  :thumbsup:

Offline codewordcs1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Sep 21, 2013, 07:22 PM »
As soon as my fl-18 pukes, ill be switching over to one of those!

They'll have 4 or 5 new models out by the time that happens.  ;D

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #12 on: Sep 21, 2013, 10:57 PM »
Ya if you wait til the vexilar dies you will be waiting about 40 years
Never to many short poles

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Sep 22, 2013, 09:57 AM »
Ya if you wait til the vexilar dies you will be waiting about 40 years

Looks like I will be letting my fishing partner use it then. When I get enough saved up to buy an LX7 that is haha

Go Beavers!

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 22, 2013, 08:36 PM »
I am looking into upgrading from a vex and like all the features of the lx7.   Do many of you anglers use a camera?   I was deciding to upgrade to the 9 or look at a camera next season.   

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Sep 23, 2013, 06:54 AM »
I am looking into upgrading from a vex and like all the features of the lx7.   Do many of you anglers use a camera?   I was deciding to upgrade to the 9 or look at a camera next season.

Cameras are nice for clear water on sunny days, not so good in stained water, dark days or with heavy snow cover. I have the Marcum 825 camera which I believe is equivalent to the lx-9 camera. It's a great unit but I like them seperate especially since the camera seems to eat batteries much faster than a flasher.

Offline spikes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 23, 2013, 06:28 PM »
The stand alone camera do they have DVR and video out?   

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Sep 24, 2013, 12:53 AM »
Ya the vexilar camera does . But I don't use the camera much just use to check structure and wat kinda fish is under me because it gets in the way because I catch over 150 fish a day and the cord really p---ses me off it really gets in the way

Offline eiderz

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Sep 24, 2013, 06:35 AM »
The stand alone camera do they have DVR and video out?

The Marcum's have video out.  What jumbo chaser said can be true, you need to drill a second hole for the camera, 4-6 feet away from your jig hole to avoid constant tangles. But it's both cool and informative to watch how the fish react to your jig, well worth the extra effort. You can learn a lot very quickly.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Sep 24, 2013, 07:39 PM »
I will try that this year thanks for the info

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:14 PM »
I am a lifelong vexilar user and am curious about marcum'so line of finders.  I run a fl 22 and have run everything below that.  The 22 has been ok but I have issues with the 3 way transducer and now it's out of production.   I have no problem spending money on my fishing gear but I'm not ready to jump on a 28 just yet.   I've seen a lot of serious tournament fishermen using the LX 5.  I would like opinions on the marcum units especially from those who have run both brands so there is a frame of reference.   Also if the LX 7 and 9 are better units.  Thanks in advance.  I can't believe I have to ask but I fish with no one that has a marcum so I can see for myself.
Where's the ice

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:22 PM »
I was a dedicated Vex owner untill the day a friend set his LX-5 next to my FL-18, A week later I had an LX-5 and never a regret since.... That was in 2007 or so, now run LX-7's and at first didnt use it alot but the more I used it and learned to fine tune it the less I liked my 5....Differences are the LX has finer sharper lines, better seperation, no need for LP mode, comes with case,zoom anywhere in the water colum.....My 7 is even more with all the screen options, no need to adjust for depth, customizable colors for your preference....Like having a big screen HD TV for a flasher....

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:29 PM »
IMO the 22 is a better flasher then the LX5. So your not missing anything there. Has far as the lx6,7,9. They aren't bad units, and can do a few different display options and stuff.  That's a series either guys love or hate. Personally I'm not a big fan of the digital type stuff. Whenever I've used one or fished with someone who has they always seem to be messing around with settings trying to get it "dialed" in. I've seen it cost guys fish messing with those things.

To each is their own, but if you leave the fl22 I wouldn't downgrade to an lx5. I'd either go to the lx7 or to a flx28.

Offline nodakclam19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If ya can't catch em, break out the beer.
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:30 PM »
Esox we all know by now that you market the marcums hard and have a one sided opinion. And eastwesterner just go look at the electronics thread. You'll find many posts on the same subjects.
Fall: Duck/Pheasant/Bow Hunting
Winter: Hardwater Fishing
Spring: Snow Goose Hunting
Summer: Musky/Walleye Fishing

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:39 PM »
I use lx7 and love it! I loved the lx5 display compared to the fl20 I had. I have used my buddy's 22 and I just don't like that flat screen and big wide marks. I liked the fl18 best out of the vex units...
Fishin red lines

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:52 PM »
I'd fish with a LX-3tc before I'd touch any FL-22 or lower.  I definitely wouldn't consider the 22 as good as a LX-5 or even the LX-3tc.   I don't know how anyone could stand to look at those giant blobs on zoom, those vexilars just do not seem very crisp after using MarCum for a year.  I am fully aware this is My Own Opinion and no where near any factual evidence of one being better than the other in anyway shape or form.  BUT, having fished with both, many times over, I would grab the MarCum every time.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Nov 14, 2013, 08:52 PM »
Esox we all know by now that you market the marcums hard and have a one sided opinion. And eastwesterner just go look at the electronics thread. You'll find many posts on the same subjects.

Market??? I have no vested interest I pay retail just like everyone else just feel Marcum has the advantage , We have run the LX against the FL series, all of them and have seen the subtle differences there is between the 2 brands...Just basing what I say from what I have seen and experienced first hand....Even my rookie wife made me sell her FL-18 and took my LX-5 and threatened to divorce me if I ever bought her another Vex, she couldnt see or read her screen but easily understood and could clearly read mine with both units side by side....

Offline Eastwesterner

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:05 PM »
What advantages does the new 9 offer over the other units?
Where's the ice

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:10 PM »
It has a camera.

Offline Chad Peterson

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Nov 14, 2013, 09:47 PM »
It all comes down to what your comfortable using. I've used them all and they all have good features, but I like it simple. Using what works and I have been using a FL-8se for years with no problems. Plus,the cost comes into play. Just my option.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.