Author Topic: Wierdest thing used to catch a fish  (Read 5189 times)

Offline reelmaster

• Team IceShanty Regular
Wierdest thing used to catch a fish
« on: Nov 12, 2005, 11:59 AM »
What is the wierdest thing you have ever caught a fish with. Last year we were perch fishing with a large group and every one was gettign fish. I said perch will eat anything. To prove it I decided to put on a small Old Dutch (potatoe chip Brand) Crunchy's Cheesy. After about 5 minutes I had a fish on   :o and laughter was in the air proving my point. When your on a large school it doesnt take much to get em some days  ;D
YOu can only get skunked so many times before you have to shower, Peeeeuuuuw

Offline boxcar

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • RETIRED!!
Re: Wierdest thing used to catch a fish
« Reply #1 on: Nov 12, 2005, 12:20 PM »
Few years ago we were fishing a slough west of Clear Lake, SD. The perch were hitting fast and we ran out of bait. I took a pack of smokes and took out the foil from the package. It was gold in color. Need to say we limited out that day.

boxcar

Offline perchfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • SD!
« Reply #2 on: Nov 12, 2005, 01:02 PM »
not on the ice but a couple of years ago on Lake Madison in SD me and a friend were pulling in the perch left and rite when we ran out of bait! well i decided to just leave it with the hook on and sure enough i caught atleast 5 more perch just on the hook! ;D

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 12, 2005, 01:36 PM »
Last year my dad and I Ice fished a state park several times in central Pa which was stocked with trout. We kept trout on numerous trips and when we cleaned many of them they had cigarette butts in there stomachs. I was thinking I ought to make and market a lure that looks exactly like a cigarette butt because trout seem to love them. :D

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Nov 12, 2005, 01:41 PM »
I got a good one, I have caught several porky perch using a blade of grass. I really didn't think it would work, I was kidding around with my friends, because we could get these visible fish to bite. I saw a clump of crabgrass, and popped a blade on my hook. Toss that bad boy out the, and voila!
I caught 3 that way.

Offline Barleydog

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • MMMM Fish!
« Reply #5 on: Nov 12, 2005, 01:46 PM »
Know it's not ice fishing, but we had caught quite a few sockeye salmon on bare red hooks.  Hook a 2/0 red Gamagatsu hook 11" behind a 000 flasher and troll slowly. It's a technique used by the locals in lake Washington just out of Seattle.  Guess it imitates a small krill? still amazing! :o
Ice fishing one day my buddy caught a nice group of rainbows using a bent pin as a hook, and a piece of smoked moose sausage for bait...  Thanks to that stunt, we have to put up with his constant gloating.  He lays claim that he can catch a fish anywhere on anything... :-[
TEAM ALASKA

Offline ChenBassHead

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Bandito
« Reply #6 on: Nov 12, 2005, 01:56 PM »
Not ice fishing , but I was fishing for bass and gills in the spring time in a small pond, and for some reason or another (can't remember why exactly...I think my dad told me I couldn't do it) I cut a piece of bologna into the shape of a fish, and hooked it in the "head" with a small hook. I lightly pitched it out and retrieved it like a swim bait. I ended up catching 3 10" bluegills in 3 casts, and totaled about 15 gills and 3 bass!  ;D

Dance, my beefy seductress, dance

-Zach

Offline ny_angler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Mike
« Reply #7 on: Nov 12, 2005, 02:26 PM »
when i was a kid i got a perch on a piece of juicy fruit gum and a cigarett but.... seems them fish cant kick the habit ... imagine nicorett gum  as a super bait.... :D
Where is the ice !!!!

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Nov 12, 2005, 02:43 PM »
Buddy of mine caught a Pike on a Pork Chop. ::)

Offline coldbum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 12, 2005, 03:24 PM »
speaking of pork, I caught a 12" native brook trout on a slab of raw bacon

fishermen are the most resourceful of people :)

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 12, 2005, 03:33 PM »
I caught a 6 lb walleye on a piece of mule deer or cow liver   (cant remember which one was actually on the hook, but I think it was the cow liver)
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline jigmasterjr

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Nov 12, 2005, 04:16 PM »
My brother and me were fishing a school of spawning white perch and he said he'd catch one on a pine cone(one of the real little ones) sure enough he caught one almost as soon as it hit the water. we were also catching them on bare hook attached directly to  a golden swivel.

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Nov 12, 2005, 04:24 PM »
was flyfishing in front of the bridge in soldier pond one summer when i noticed the fish were rolling on a small white bug on the surface. i didnt have a fly to match so i took a bunch of white poly stuffing out of a hole in my old vest and tied it onto a bare hook .the poly floated beautifully.  i caught 3 nice brookies that way.

Offline fishuhalik

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2005, 05:05 PM »
I tied a Tums onto my line one time and had a fish on.  Didn't have a hook on it, just a sinker about 1 ft in front of it, but a nice crap hit it.

Always wear clean underwear, cuz ya never know when the paramedics are gonna have to cut your pants off.

Offline dogfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walk softly and carry a big gaff
« Reply #14 on: Nov 12, 2005, 05:18 PM »
To Mr Vancouvercanuck
Dude...a pork chop?  I want to fish with you guys!
Dogfish
When the going gets weird the weird turn pro.

grumpymoe

« Reply #15 on: Nov 12, 2005, 05:34 PM »
3 walleye in a row with an unpainted lead jig on Lake of the Woods....a plain poplar leaf for walleye on a straight hook......Grump

Offline winchester 88

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Nov 12, 2005, 05:58 PM »
A friend was fishing for steelhead in one of the streams that run into Lake Erie when an accquaintance came by with his limit and the friend asked what he caught the fish with.
The fella threw him a cut up piece of white wash cloth and told him to cut off a few strands of material an put it on a hook below a split shot and let it drift in the current. Within minutes my friend and his son had their limits.
Also as a kid we used to catch catfish and carp on limberger cheese.
Has the rain a father?
Or who has begotten the drops of dew?
From whose womb comes the ice?
And the frost from heaven,who gives it birth?
By the breath of God ice is given and the broad waters are frozen.
The waters harden like stone and the surface of the deep is frozen.

The book of Job.

Offline Skiff

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • Walleye, pike, perch...Yeah!
« Reply #17 on: Nov 12, 2005, 07:24 PM »
In the mid 1980's we were checking out a dam that obstructed migration routes of fish and saw hundreds of pike milling below the dam.  On a bet that I could catch one without a rod and reel, I bent and sharpened a 3" coated box nail, wrapped thin electrical wire around the top to secure it and made a loop just above the nail head.  In the loop I put one of those old style pull-tabs where a tab of the soda can came loose with the ring.  Then I tied a line from a plumb-bob on, and lowered the rig down the side of the dam, about 20 feet.  No bait, just jigged it.  Within a couple of minutes I pulled up a pike that weighed about 3 lbs.  I let him go because I won the bet.  ......I kept the "hook", but can't find it now. 
"I'm as healthy as I ever was, I just go to the doctor more often".  - one of my retired buddies

bigdave1018

« Reply #18 on: Nov 12, 2005, 07:28 PM »
used pieces of a mcdonalds burger in salt water for these little silver fish. still dont know the species but caught many that day and even a red crab.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #19 on: Nov 13, 2005, 02:31 PM »
back when vega was full of 10-12" bows that you could catch a hundred of in a day, we caught them on this bad tasting salami we bought as well as on a cigarette but the same day. Have never tried the cigarette but again but now the fish in vega are less numerous and large and need actual bait, lol.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline jabers69

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #20 on: Nov 13, 2005, 03:27 PM »
I used a piece of hubba bubba  bubble gum once  and got 3 nice perch in about  1 min.
hook and cook

Offline Kodiakman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Start everyday as if it has a purpose.
« Reply #21 on: Nov 13, 2005, 06:30 PM »
I can't say I ever caught a fish on anything weird really but I remember reading or hearing a story somewhere about a guy catching fish trolling a batman action figure on a dare or something.

Offline walleyeseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 13, 2005, 09:47 PM »
My brother told me that he was catching Bullheads one day and they were eating anything they would throw out at them. After they cleaned up all of his bait he tried grass. Still catching fast and ferious. Then he put on a cigarette but and even that did't stop the bite.

Offline TGF

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I'm keeping my eye on you guys.....
« Reply #23 on: Nov 14, 2005, 08:14 AM »
Well I'm sure some of you will remember my weirdest thing from previous posts and that is human feces dough balls (I think I had corn, potatoes and steak the night before). Yeah works great on bottomfish but not so much on trout. Also won me 10,000$$$, and a 4WD ATV 2 yrs later at a local coarse fish derby.
PS: Definitely use gloves when making ;)

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 14, 2005, 09:04 AM »
Dang, I was about to say "what about the guy using poo for bait".....

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline northdease

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Pike Hunter
« Reply #25 on: Nov 14, 2005, 09:21 AM »
my kids started using salami and ham to pull in blu gill this summer off our dock, guess i wont need to worry bout buying worms anymore since they fished all day with a piece of ham.

Offline Cooley

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Nov 14, 2005, 09:24 AM »
Not icefishing but,Caught a 3 1/2 pound bass on a small bird I nailed with a sling shot
camping with my dad. ;D
How many men does it take to open a beer,
None...it's open when she brings it! ! !

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #27 on: Nov 14, 2005, 01:48 PM »
I to have caught perch on a bare hook, my hook was a bleeding bait circle hook, binged 5 of them right off a dock. The other weird thing I used was a small minnow a larger pike coughed up, I put it on the hook and caught another pike with it. ;)

WW

Offline Caroga Kid

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Bring On The Ice!!!
« Reply #28 on: Nov 14, 2005, 02:27 PM »
I've caught  Mohawk Creek chubs and perch on small bits of Hot dogs.. I also attached a hook to a beer bottle Cap and caught a laker through the ice on george last year..

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #29 on: Nov 14, 2005, 05:00 PM »
Well I'm sure some of you will remember my weirdest thing from previous posts and that is human feces dough balls (I think I had corn, potatoes and steak the night before). Yeah works great on bottomfish but not so much on trout. Also won me 10,000$$$, and a 4WD ATV 2 yrs later at a local coarse fish derby.
PS: Definitely use gloves when making ;)
Since its already shi#y bait what do you call it when nuthins biting.
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.