Author Topic: The SECRET to jigging up walleyes  (Read 6003 times)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
The SECRET to jigging up walleyes
« on: Nov 09, 2005, 12:06 PM »
Its not really a secret, but more like a system.  The trick is trying different areas during feeding times.  Around here the walleyes bite best during the morning and evening, and that is when to key in on them. Try to fish a different spot every morning or evening that you can, and don't hesitate to switch up presentations.  It may take while, and expect more than a few skunkings, but it is very worthwhile.  Once you catch your first walleye doing this, the confidence it gives you makes this SO much easier.  Incidentally, fellow member Slipbob is the one who showed me this.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
Re: The SECRET to jigging up walleyes
« Reply #1 on: Nov 09, 2005, 02:49 PM »
I agree with that. It pays to try different likely spots during the prime feeding periods. Seems through the ice fish can prefer a different presentation from one day to the next.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline Water Wolf

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice anglers walk on water.
« Reply #2 on: Nov 10, 2005, 12:44 AM »
I agree with that. It pays to try different likely spots during the prime feeding periods. Seems through the ice fish can prefer a different presentation from one day to the next.
You got that right Mackdaddy, the walleye can sometimes be as selective as a fine wine cynosure. You just have to keep showing them different lures until you find one they like. ::)

WW

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #3 on: Nov 20, 2005, 11:55 AM »

Concur. this is about open water fishing here but one day I think I have THE LURE for catching eyes and I will catch like 10, and I might go the next day, use the same lure, the same way, in the same conditions, and get 0. Then I throw something they hated the day before and they chomp it. Wierd huh?
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Mark Komo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #4 on: Dec 22, 2005, 01:19 PM »
Thanks for all the teeps guys.

When jeegging eyes, I got 3 types of presentations.  A rap/nils bait in a couple of colors, perch, glow and gold.
Then I have a pimple, in chrome, one blue and one yellow.  The pimples get a couple of spikes. The rap/nils gets nothing.  My last reeg has red hook, red bead, and slip shot and one fat, jacked, meno (love the hydro perox as a boost!). 

I usual feesh the rap/nils (perch) and the meno reeg at the same time in a pair of holes I dreelled usually far ealier in the day.  By dusk, its boot/skim time.  So, I got about 10 pairs of holes, all along drops or weed edges, usually the first break and then the second break.

I kinda go back and forth between the rap and pimple (chrome with spikes), but always using my meno reeg.  So, the first pairs of holes sees three reegs, if nothing, then next set, and so on.  I try the holes and then go back with different set ups, ie, rap/nils in gold, or blue pimple, with still using that meno reeg.

Vex on all the time.

I gotten some decent feesh, but more of the shorties or "eaters" as they say.  Could my presentation technique somehow be excluding the larger feesh?  I keep 4-5 reegs ready to go at all times. I hate tying and re tying. And of course, all of the reegs are my confidence reegs, so vast changes are sometimes very uncomfortable for me. With that being, looking to try new things this year.

I know I am in a high percentage spot, since I am getting feesh.

Tight lines.
Bass are for guys that cant catch walleyes! Troll for show, jig for $$$$$

Offline LoaderGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Boats Afloat , Shores Ashore
« Reply #5 on: Dec 22, 2005, 07:01 PM »
That was a great post , Komo , you are surently doing your homework. But for the life of me I can't figure out why you spell tips, rigs and fish with two e's?

Steve   :tipup:
GET JIGGIE WITH IT !

Offline Mark Komo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #6 on: Dec 22, 2005, 08:43 PM »
Its being a bit goofy and a crazy combination of my czechoslavakian neighbor, the goalie from the movie "slapshot"  (you cannta due dat"), and my old feeshing buddy from the southeastern meen-a-soooooo-ta.

Just having fun.  Jeeg, teep up and feesh do sound better, no?

Funny, usually get some funky hate mail calling me an idiot or something. Must be a slow night.

Tight lines.

PS.   How about a smokin teep for ice feeshing walleyes?  One so far.  Use two menos hooked through the tail on your next outing.  You may be suprised.
Bass are for guys that cant catch walleyes! Troll for show, jig for $$$$$

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 22, 2005, 09:25 PM »
I wasn't going to say anything, figured you may be from another country...lol

Offline LoaderGuy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Boats Afloat , Shores Ashore
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2005, 09:07 AM »
OK , I understand now, Komo! I didn't think you were an idiot, I was just wondering about the spelling lol , thanks for the explane!

Steve    :tipup:

P.S. Thanks for the Walleye feeshing teep.
GET JIGGIE WITH IT !

PIKEGUY

« Reply #9 on: Dec 28, 2005, 10:03 AM »
Makes the whole thing kind of hard to understand ;)

Offline ICE LUNATIC

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • shiney eyes here i come!
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2006, 08:34 PM »
I have to say there is no better feeling than catching those eyes.I also have to add alot of patience!
Trying to become a shiney eye king!

Offline WYOiceman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2006, 05:15 PM »
Thanks for all the teeps guys.

When jeegging eyes, I got 3 types of presentations.  A rap/nils bait in a couple of colors, perch, glow and gold.
Then I have a pimple, in chrome, one blue and one yellow.  The pimples get a couple of spikes. The rap/nils gets nothing.  My last reeg has red hook, red bead, and slip shot and one fat, jacked, meno (love the hydro perox as a boost!). 

I usual feesh the rap/nils (perch) and the meno reeg at the same time in a pair of holes I dreelled usually far ealier in the day.  By dusk, its boot/skim time.  So, I got about 10 pairs of holes, all along drops or weed edges, usually the first break and then the second break.

I kinda go back and forth between the rap and pimple (chrome with spikes), but always using my meno reeg.  So, the first pairs of holes sees three reegs, if nothing, then next set, and so on.  I try the holes and then go back with different set ups, ie, rap/nils in gold, or blue pimple, with still using that meno reeg.

Vex on all the time.

I gotten some decent feesh, but more of the shorties or "eaters" as they say.  Could my presentation technique somehow be excluding the larger feesh?  I keep 4-5 reegs ready to go at all times. I hate tying and re tying. And of course, all of the reegs are my confidence reegs, so vast changes are sometimes very uncomfortable for me. With that being, looking to try new things this year.

I know I am in a high percentage spot, since I am getting feesh.

Tight lines.

What is this hydro perox boost?? Please explain this to me . Here in Wyoming I've never heard of this.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.