Author Topic: Boat sales to Newfoundlander??  (Read 2381 times)

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
Boat sales to Newfoundlander??
« on: Mar 14, 2013, 10:45 AM »
Selling my Angler 204 Cuddy on craigslist and have had a few calls from guys in Newfoundland, guy posts me a deposit through paypal and wants to wire transfer the balance (over $16K) . Guy sounds legit  but just wondering if anybody here has any experiences like this. I was @ greens marine and he out of the blue said don`t  discount the Canadians on purchase of this type of boat.
With this great fishing community on IS  I thought I might get some good feedback to help me with finalizing the transaction........... .any help???

Offline haightdaddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Boat sales to Newfoundlander??
« Reply #1 on: Mar 14, 2013, 10:57 AM »
I just sold my motorcycle. I have had people try to scam me for money with pay pal and other stuff. Cash or nothing is what I say ;)
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline draz

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • KEEP THOSE LINES TIGHT
« Reply #2 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:07 AM »
Without a doubt it is a scam. Let me guess he wants to buy the boat unseen, you send him your personal info for the bank wire/paypal (account numbers and such), he will even have a guy come pick up the boat, you never see the cash and he is now YOU. Not in a million years would I do this. When I sold my Harley and can't tell you how many I got of these. Just have him send a certified bank check, deposit that, let it clear, then make the exchange or deliver it yourself for CASH. Good Luck!

Offline JRFlatlander

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Mar 14, 2013, 11:16 AM »
Without a doubt it is a scam. Let me guess he wants to buy the boat unseen, you send him your personal info for the bank wire/paypal (account numbers and such), he will even have a guy come pick up the boat, you never see the cash and he is now YOU. Not in a million years would I do this. When I sold my Harley and can't tell you how many I got of these. Just have him send a certified bank check, deposit that, let it clear, then make the exchange or deliver it yourself for CASH. Good Luck!

X2  They get real creative watch out
[

Mama Says happiness is from magic rays of sunshine that come down when you're feeling blue.......

Offline rick@bbw

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Mar 14, 2013, 12:57 PM »
We do quite a few boat sales north of the border - just have to weed out the craigslist spammers . The real buyers are all cash no paypal bs. Boats up north are worth about double so a few guys we deal with are more than happy to make the drive for a clean freshwater boat . But we always get a certified deposit check in the mail - just be carefull !!! , but they are not all bad.

Rick
I saw a pale horse -

Offline PDubs/NH

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Mar 14, 2013, 01:01 PM »
Id tell him that when a certified bank check shows up in your hand, and gets cleared, he can have the boat... otherwise he better find someone to make the drive and hand you a stack of bills.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Mar 14, 2013, 01:01 PM »
Simple solution...ask him to provide you with a verifiable name address and tel # where he lives. Most scammers will disappear into the woodwork when you ask them for info.

People in Newfie need boats too don't they?

You could also demand the full price payable by Paypal...once the funds are in your account it's a done deal.

Only info he has from paypal is your email address...I have used Paypal many times and never had a problem.

Offline 6wheels

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Mar 14, 2013, 01:43 PM »
BEWARE!! People that pay by paypal will create a forged pay pal or ebay page and convince you that they are legit. They usually have a formal looking email from one of the two listed that states your funds have been transfered, blah blah blah. Cash only. Even cashiers checks can come back and bite you unless you go to the bank from which they are issued.

Offline Sportsman300

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Mar 14, 2013, 01:43 PM »
For sure a scam. I have had the same type of deals with selling cars on craigslist. only take cash or certified check. make sure the whole balance is paid for before you sign over the title. unfortunately we live in a world now where very few people can be trusted and you always have to watch your back.

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 14, 2013, 01:53 PM »
Sounds sketchy too me also. Had someone similar contact me about a generator I was selling on Craigslist. When I said cash or a money order that has cleared my bank before pick up he disappeared.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline nixstyx

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Mar 14, 2013, 01:56 PM »

You even have to be careful with certified checks. If I were selling a big ticket item to someone I've never met, I'd want to have cash in hand before finalizing the transaction.
http://blogs.cars.com/safe/2006/11/certified_check.html

Offline wildwoody

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Mar 14, 2013, 02:04 PM »
Id tell him that when a certified bank check shows up in your hand, and gets cleared, he can have the boat... otherwise he better find someone to make the drive and hand you a stack of bills.

I couldn't agree more. money talks  He has to come down and pick it up anywayu he might as well bring the green and make it American.

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #12 on: Mar 14, 2013, 02:06 PM »
Don't do it! Scam written all over it. Been selling online for years and thought I've seen em all.
Cash in hand or no deal.

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Mar 14, 2013, 02:55 PM »
Just to update there is a real deposit in my paypal account of $500.00 from this guy . I have the name of his business and his name appears to be tied to the business. Discussed it with my bank and they are saying paypal is about the only on the spot way to verify payment.  It seems I will wait it out and determine how legitimate the deal is as it developes. I`m thinking conducting some research on how businesses are registered in Canada, compared to how you register with your secretary of state here in NH....  :-\

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #14 on: Mar 14, 2013, 07:15 PM »
PayPal is super safe, get the money clear before anything... The scams usually involve sending more than the amount your asking for and some kind of bank transfer, keep it in PayPal or talk with your bank about safe transfers, but don't give the boat or bill of sale over until all money is clear...
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Offline articcat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 14, 2013, 07:35 PM »
CASH is KING!!!

Offline PoolGuy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hello my name is Bill and I'm an ice fisherman !!
« Reply #16 on: Mar 14, 2013, 07:47 PM »
IN GOD WE TRUST, everything else is COD
I just want to go ice fishing and ignore my adult problems

Offline mike1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Mar 14, 2013, 07:51 PM »
I love Newfoundland, if it was me I'd offer to deliver it, grab a couple of rods and tip ups and do a road trip!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 14, 2013, 07:58 PM »
 ::) ::)  Standard Practice is!!!  Don't Wire anyone any money!!    Ebay and Paypal will warn you!!
Dick

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Mar 14, 2013, 08:02 PM »
Just to update there is a real deposit in my paypal account of $500.00 from this guy . I have the name of his business and his name appears to be tied to the business. Discussed it with my bank and they are saying paypal is about the only on the spot way to verify payment.  It seems I will wait it out and determine how legitimate the deal is as it developes. I`m thinking conducting some research on how businesses are registered in Canada, compared to how you register with your secretary of state here in NH....  :-\

Hey!  He has paid you $500 and want $16,000 in return?  Be very cautious.  If he is legit he will understand.
Dick

Offline bud

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • never put off till tom. what you can catch today!
« Reply #20 on: Mar 15, 2013, 12:31 AM »
Be really careful.....
BUD

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Mar 15, 2013, 03:39 AM »
Hey!  He has paid you $500 and want $16,000 in return?  Be very cautious.  If he is legit he will understand.
Dick
[/quot
The guy would be sending me the balance of the boat sale, he is not requesting any money to be sent to him. His business is a registered business in NF and his name and phone # are tied to the registered business. He has no problem doing paypal but wants me to absorb the transaction fee from paypal ($450.00) if we do it that way. He is fine with wiring the money and waiting until it clears before taking the boat.
I guess trying to cross the border with amounts greater than $10K can be problematic.

Offline potatomansoup

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Follow the code of the Fish Nerds...
« Reply #22 on: Mar 15, 2013, 04:43 AM »
Sounds like you've done your homework, contact your bank and find a safe way to wire money save the paypal fees and sell your boat...
Talk to the guy on the phone too.
For free fishy fun, check out the Fish Nerds Podcast on iTunes or Stitcher

Offline bikrsrule

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Mar 15, 2013, 05:59 AM »
This is very interesting, I too have put stuff on craigslist and they have tried to scam me, money orders, I will pay for shippiing..etc, Let us all know how you made out but like most others have said..CASH IS KING!!!!

Offline ship of fools

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Mar 15, 2013, 06:30 AM »
I sold an old 27' silverton on ebay to a guy from sweden  :o

He sent me the money and when he came to get the boat decided it wasn't worth shipping back so all he did was take the fishfinder.

From what i understand boats are outrageously priced in other areas so it could be legit ......  i would work with the bank to insure the payments are real and get collected before you give him the boat

If he really wants the boat he should be willing to wait for all that to happen.
Goin' where the wind don't blow so strange,
Maybe off on some high cold mountain chain.

Offline Swampdonkey

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Can't catch em from the couch.
« Reply #25 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:13 AM »
Never ever trust a Canadian :P

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Mar 15, 2013, 07:39 AM »
PayPal is super safe

I'm sorry to jump on you about this, but I may not have ever seen the most false 4 words ever in print in my life! I have a unique insight into the Paypal environment and could go on almost endlessly about how unsafe it is, but there are two points that are the most important to know. 1st, Paypal is operating as an international bank without having to adhere to any banking standards anywhere. Of the billions of dollars that PayPal transfers every year, not one penny is insured in any way. 2nd, PayPal has their own ways of dealing with fraud, and without going into detail it protects the buyer a lot more than the seller. The most common fraud involves a transaction that seems to go perfect, you get the money in your PayPal account, and maybe even transfer it to your bank before you give the seller the item. The buyer then has 60 days to contest the terms of the sale. When that happens, PayPal instantly takes the amount of the money out of your personal bank account or credit card (depending on how you secured your account) and begins the dispute. You might have already spent the money or whatever, but one day you wake up with a nasty email and a massive negative balance on your credit card or bank account. I'll bet you didn't know they could do that, but you agreed to that insanity when you signed up for PayPal. From there, any number of things are possible, but in the end PayPal has the right to tell you that the money is gone and so is your item. Sorry and thanks for playing.

That all said, it certainly sounds like this is a legitimate buyer. The advantage of PayPal is that it is basically instant, and it sounds like the buyer just wants to secure the deal right away. The fact that the buyer wants to complete the transaction with a wire transfer from a bank is a good sign.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline dunphy11

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 15, 2013, 03:04 PM »
I have created a new free account at my bank with a $5.00 balance in it. The minute the money shows up I plan on transferring immediately to a differant account. I went through it with my bank after some prying. They really don`t want this to become standard practice in the sale of items because it certainly is not in there best interest. On the other hand they said once I obtain the money they are in no way obligated through any dispute or actions to return the funds, and would not unless I requested it or some very unusual circumstances.  I told them I would let them know how it turns out.
On the other side this guy can`t wait to send me money and get the boat  and will wait until I have the funds secured............... ....thanks for your input IS members

Offline blood tracker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2013, 06:43 PM »
Never ever trust a Canadian :P
x2 never known anything good coming down from canada especally there whiskey!

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 16, 2013, 10:16 AM »
I have created a new free account at my bank with a $5.00 balance in it. The minute the money shows up I plan on transferring immediately to a differant account. I went through it with my bank after some prying. They really don`t want this to become standard practice in the sale of items because it certainly is not in there best interest. On the other hand they said once I obtain the money they are in no way obligated through any dispute or actions to return the funds, and would not unless I requested it or some very unusual circumstances.  I told them I would let them know how it turns out.
On the other side this guy can`t wait to send me money and get the boat  and will wait until I have the funds secured............... ....thanks for your input IS members

Good luck and let us know how it turns out!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.