Author Topic: vex fl 20 vs. marcum lx 6  (Read 7928 times)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: vex fl 20 vs. marcum lx 6
« Reply #30 on: Oct 31, 2013, 03:48 PM »
I will admit though for the fist half dozen trips out with the 7 I still used my 5 more but once I played with it more and more I found myself not liking my 5 anymore, it does take some getting used to and getting it set to your preference....A few pics of mine in action, those arent weeds on the bottom either...

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #31 on: Oct 31, 2013, 05:00 PM »
nice picures
Never to many short poles

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #32 on: Oct 31, 2013, 09:21 PM »

Says the man who's shows all his equipment in his signature.  As I recall you were looking to purchase an FLX28 with all the bells and whistles.  Why?

Upgrading to an LX9 would be awesome.  But I already have a Camera.  If you have the screen estate to show your zoom, full water column, and chart graph all on one screen to assist you in catching more fish why wouldnt you?   Instead of looking at a round dial with a split screen you at least get your displays separately on screen.  The point again was to use the features to your advantage depending on the situation or presentation.  Setup the screen displays that best fit what your going after.

Sure I can pick up the FL8 and be fine with just the standard round dial screen.  Guess you didnt read what I said earlier that sometimes simplicity more then does the job.  But that's not the point here.  You drive a luxury sedan or ferarri.  So why drive it like a and old gramps?  If I wanted that i'd buy the Geo Metro instead.

Well I would have posted them on an LX-7, but the update hasn't come yet. LOL. Yeah I'm looking to get an FLX28. If I can get a head unit, I'll more than likely drop the showdown out of the lineup to sell. Man you get touchy on stupid stuff, chill dude I think you'll catch a fish this year!

Offline Corey Bechtold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Oct 31, 2013, 10:12 PM »
I am not trying to stir the hornets nest but will weigh in with my honest opinion.  I have used everyone's units except for the Birds.  Flashers or digital flashers ultimately do the same thing. Show your bait/bottom and hopefully fish if you work a little.  Each have features that some may or may not like. 

I am a die hard Vexilar user.  It has never let me down on the Ice.  Only hiccup I ever had is my stupid cat likes to chew on cables and when I got to the lake the transducer cable had all kinds bite marks in it and it didn't work.  If only that stupid cat would chew on my Christmas tree lights like the cat on National Lampoons Christmas Vacation...

Vexilar had some features that suited the way I like to fish.  One of the most over looked is the "Low Power".   It is an often overlooked feature that a lot of Vexilar users don't even know how to use.  If I go into a weedy area in search of fish I can switch to Low Power and eliminate a lot of the clutter and fish my jig effectively.  It also is great when you hit those lakes that have zooplankton or other insects that seem to clutter up a screen near dusk.  If you get in an area that has a lot of small fish it also helps ween out the smaller blips and show the fish you need to target.

Another feature that I like better is the zoom window.  I use the full view window and search out fish along a breakline.  If I get on a good bite I will zero in on the fish and catch a few.  When the school moves I switch back to full view and go on the hop again and repeat the process. 

The reliability is another positive.  If I spend good money on a product I want to be able to go out and fish with it instead of having to hook it up to a computer to download an upgrade.  I'd rather fish.

If I were you I'd simply go out fishing and see what everyone is using.  If you see someone with a FL-20 then ask if they could show you the features.  Same if you see someone using the Marcum.

Feel free to message me if you have any other questions.

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #34 on: Oct 31, 2013, 10:27 PM »
I have a FL 8 and FL 20 and FLX 28  just wanted to try LX 7 to see why everyone argues about so much and compare products and they got cool features but so does the 28 that I can't wait to use    ;D
Never to many short poles

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #35 on: Oct 31, 2013, 11:02 PM »
Still dont get why the need for a LP mode, my LX's dont need it and see better in shallow weedy situations than my FL-8 and 18's did.....

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Nov 01, 2013, 12:35 AM »
I'm not the die hard type that will refuse to fish with someone that uses marcum or humminbird for that matter lol. 

I'm done putting input on flasher debates unless I'm on the water.  This forum stuff is such, he said, she said, crap.  But, do you really know people who won't fish with people who use certain brands?  If so that's freaking pathetic, just like 99.9% of all pro-staff(salesman-jerk-offs) who will go to no end to sell products on the ice, forums, facebook, etc.  The commercialization of this sport is freaking pathetic and makes me sick.  99% of the strictly ice companies are garbage, they have true chinese junk with no value and barely last a season or two.   This crap is making me sick.

Offline krcat40

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Nov 01, 2013, 01:16 AM »
Right on!!!! I am fairly new to ice fishing electronics and LMAO reading all the guys bicker back and forth. Brand loyalty on here is amazing. I can give 2 $*&% less what another guy uses. If you like what you have and you catch fish that's all that matters. I ask for a lot of advice on here but you will never see me ask about electronics advice.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Nov 01, 2013, 08:50 AM »
I have always made it know anyone is welcome to stop by my shack and check out my equipment... so far no takers....

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #39 on: Nov 02, 2013, 12:10 PM »
My biggest gripe about the lx6-9 units is that I think they could have made the menu interface a lot more user friendly. Too many key strokes to change screen setups and no way save favorite setups. I'm thinking something similar to the 700-1100 series of open water units from HB. Three preset buttons to switch between screens. I dunno maybe I'm asking to much.

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #40 on: Nov 02, 2013, 07:10 PM »
you have to be committed to some set up, and some getting used to how to run it.  most other flashers are plug and play.  the lx6 is too but you do have to adjust for certain instances.  however, once you've got th emenu's figured out, its a pretty sweet rig.  it didn't take long.

Offline nodakclam19

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • If ya can't catch em, break out the beer.
« Reply #41 on: Nov 05, 2013, 12:10 AM »
I have had both the Vexilar FL-20 and the MarCum Lx-6.... Here is my opinion.

I like vex's easiness to use (you won't find another unit where you just drop in the ducer' and are good to go like the vex's), the battery on the vex will last for a week, and you get the classic durability of the vex. I once dropped my 20 out of my truck on to the concrete and everything was just fine. I also like having the packs to chose from (Genz, Propack II or Ultra) and the options you can add to them such as the flexlight, neoprene cover, and tackle boxes.

Now for my lx-6. I like having the 4 main features on the unit (flasher, graph, vertical view, and vertical zoom) as you can customize the unit to whatever you are fishing for. I originally thought I would like the software upgrading idea, but as I started to use it last season I never took the time to do any of the upgrades (because I have a mac and you need a PC, and that it was just inconvenient to do). The battery life on my 6 was pretty good and could fish for a good day before recharging. I do not think the 6 is nearly as durable as the vex but I keep very good care of my gear so it wasn't much of a problem.

Result: I am in the middle of selling my lx6 and am switching back to vex. Going to get the flx28!! Just can't resist that old school vex even though brands around it are "revolutionary" I just like everything a vex unit is build for. CATCHING FISH AND LASTING FOREVER!!! If it ain't broke don't fix it!!
Fall: Duck/Pheasant/Bow Hunting
Winter: Hardwater Fishing
Spring: Snow Goose Hunting
Summer: Musky/Walleye Fishing

Offline Fisherman-Andy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Nov 05, 2013, 12:16 PM »

I like vex's easiness to use (you won't find another unit where you just drop in the ducer' and are good to go like the vex's), the battery on the vex will last for a week, and you get the classic durability of the vex. I once dropped my 20 out of my truck on to the concrete and everything was just fine. I also like having the packs to chose from (Genz, Propack II or Ultra) and the options you can add to them such as the flexlight, neoprene cover, and tackle boxes.

Now for my lx-6. I like having the 4 main features on the unit (flasher, graph, vertical view, and vertical zoom) as you can customize the unit to whatever you are fishing for. I originally thought I would like the software upgrading idea, but as I started to use it last season I never took the time to do any of the upgrades (because I have a mac and you need a PC, and that it was just inconvenient to do). The battery life on my 6 was pretty good and could fish for a good day before recharging. I do not think the 6 is nearly as durable as the vex but I keep very good care of my gear so it wasn't much of a problem.

Result: I am in the middle of selling my lx6 and am switching back to vex. Going to get the flx28!! Just can't resist that old school vex even though brands around it are "revolutionary" I just like everything a vex unit is build for. CATCHING FISH AND LASTING FOREVER!!! If it ain't broke don't fix it!!

I see this as another Blue Team vs Red Team response.  Im sorry if you have "Clam" in your name your Blue Team/Vexilar.  As we know both sides can be bias I seen it all too often.  Call me Red Team if you like.  I will use whatever I feel gives me the edge in my type of fishing.

You make good points about a mechanical flasher made by Vexilar, ive said on here that keeping it simple and reliable is enough for your typical ice angler.  This is obviously works for you and it does for many.  Nothing wrong with this.

However you also fail to utilize what can make a unit such as an LX6 great.  And by not taking the time to upgrade to the most recent 3.17 software assuming you werent on that version; then you did not experience optimum performance for your unit.  Not having a PC in the house is a lame excuse;  im certain another family member or friend's PC woulda suffice.  The upgrade process takes only a few minutes and is as easy as moving a file from one folder to another and power cycling the unit.  Once again Marcum will have a new software update tweaks with possible new features coming this winter season for the LX6,7,9.

As for durability one can call into question that the LX6 doesnt have any moving internal parts inside like a mechanical flasher.  Just because it has an LCD screen does not make it less durable.  As with most would agree durability comes from quality control and manufacturing.  Some think Vexilar because that old FL8 is rock solid but outdated by today's standards.

In part it doesnt matter which flasher one chooses, more if that flasher can be utilized to fits your needs as an ice angler regardless of branding.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Nov 05, 2013, 06:10 PM »
My LX-7 has bounced off the quad more than once and still going strong....

Offline jakep138

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Nov 05, 2013, 06:22 PM »

did you sell your Lx 6 yet if not shoot me a pm interested in buying it thanks

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.