Author Topic: Propane Lanterns  (Read 8116 times)

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
Propane Lanterns
« on: Mar 09, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Hey everyone, I am in need of a lantern for ice fishing, and I am just wondering what you all use. Preferably it can run off of propane, because I am looking for both the heat and light.

What brands and models do you all own? I have looked at colemans.. and that's about it. All help is appreciated. Thanks,

CI

Go Beavers!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Propane Lanterns
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2013, 07:41 PM »
I use LED lights, retired the old lantern 20 years ago...

Bullelk34

« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2013, 07:57 PM »
I use a white gas Coleman lantern. I had a propane one but I didn't like it. They aren't as bright as the white gas lanterns.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Have an old two mantle Coleman propane. Use it every summer on the deck
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2013, 08:10 PM »
coleman 2 mantle unleaded gas..

Offline d4ng3r3ux

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2013, 08:44 PM »
coleman 2 mantel, heat is good for mild days and small popup,
what ever you get make sur you have a hard case with it.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 09, 2013, 08:51 PM »
I have a dual mantle coleman propane lantern. I used it for years because it made heat & light, about 2000 btu in my estimation.

You absolutely need to use the carry case or you will be replacing mantles and globes all the time. For that, it needs to be cooled off.

Mine is a little loud, but I find it kinda soothing. It's really a no brainer for a one man shack.

Offline Ole Polanski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Mar 09, 2013, 09:45 PM »
Hey C.I.
  I agree whole heartedly on the reliability of good ole Coleman lanterns (double mantle)!! "IF"... you are goin to go propane make sure it has a "generator" just like the white gas models do to pressureize the propane please!  My favorite (propane) is the model 5114! Had mine since Adam was a skipper....not sure if they still make them or what they have to offer currently! Used ones always show up on ebay! Good mantles....keep it clean and it's never let me down! Another tip for propane I got from another old timer is too either leave a bottle screwed on or wrap the screw on connecter thingy in plastic to keep water and/or crap from pluggin it up!!  The hole the gas goes thru is very tiny and it don't take much to plug it.... keep it covered when not on a bottle!  As stated get a case or make a custom box to keep it in..... saves lots of grief!
   "IF" you are leanin towards "white gas" they are excellant too as long as you stay with the clean filtered Coleman fuel!!  They are what we all used before I got all old,feeble and grumpy! My fillin tanks,oilin leather pump gaskets (and frequent pumpin) and changin gummed up generater nights are long since passed! For me it is just easier to use propane now!!  It all boils down to personal preference I guess!  Along with the other Gents on here I hope we helped you some!!!   Good luck!!  Spinnin spools and short rewinds!!     OP :tipup:
"Where there's watah....There's Feesh!"

Offline neveruminda

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Owe No Man Anything...
« Reply #8 on: Mar 09, 2013, 10:48 PM »
Used my white gas/kerosene fired dual mantle Coleman lanterns for years.  Then 2 years ago when I bought a used hub shelter from a guy, he tossed in a hand auger, two rods, mult. jigs, a jet sled, and a dual mantle propane(1lb cylinder) lantern

I've never used the white gas lanterns since.  They sit in the plastic cases outside in my barn.  The convenience and cost of refilling the cylinders from a 20lb propane tank is a no-brainer and they're quieter
Owe No Man Anything...

Offline BIGCREW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Mar 09, 2013, 11:08 PM »
propane is the way to go,if your going to use it for heat and light the smell of the gas in a shelter would bother me after a while,I bought a screen for my lantern that replaces the glass its great,havent bought a glass in years,it cuts down on the brightness a bit but I dont mind it because I never have to buy a glass ever again

Offline Special

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Old School
« Reply #10 on: Mar 09, 2013, 11:16 PM »
Well I go with the old propane stile lantern. My big buddy heater works on the one pound tanks. I also hope to be purchasing a new jiffy propane auger so i can keep one fuel source. If you go with the propane or gas make sure you use the duel mantel ones. I bought the new one with the big mantel and have realized it sucks. Cost in replacing the mantel, is so much more expensive. Also I really couldn't tell the difference in lighting. To be non judgemental I also own the white gas ones. I couldn't tell the difference in light. Just the price. I guess it just comes down to how much you willing to spend and what kind of gas do you want to use. For me its just easyer to grab a one pound propane bottle then trying to pour the gas into the bottom of the colman lantern. Both work great. And each has it addvantages. As for me I'm staying with propane. All my lanterns are collman. The cheapos really suck and never work right. Learned that the hard way.
No one left behind.     

Offline jrjach75

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Mar 10, 2013, 11:09 AM »
I just got one a few weeks ago, went with the Coleman "quick pack" lantern, it comes with it's own plastic case. It was $25 at Walmart for the upgraded model with the built in push button lighter. Tried it out at night on the ice, temps somewhere between 15 and 20, just sitting next to it hole hopping provided a good deal of warmth, but there was nearly zero wind that night. Brought it into a two man shack and it pretty quickly warmed us up, not as well as a heater would, but enough to be comfortable, being at night, we were not getting any heat from the sun.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 10, 2013, 11:20 AM »
Thanks for all the replies fellas! i appreciate them! The main reason that I wanted to stick with propane is because I already bring propane with for my little buddy heater. Is it worth getting the $85 dollar lanterns with the "perfect flow" from coleman? I do want a lantern with instastart, but i don't know how necessary the perfect flow is.. any experience?

Go Beavers!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #13 on: Mar 10, 2013, 11:55 AM »
Northstar lanterns?

No... just get the regular perfect flow with the two sock mantles.  The mantes are cheaper, easier to change, and can be purchased pretty much everywhere.

http://www.fleetfarm.com/detail/coleman-perfectflow-lantern-with-case/0000000060135

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yakity yak yak, yakity yak yak
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2013, 10:10 PM »
Don't you have trouble with the propane in the cold?  My stove would always have trouble on the ice. If your using it for heat, it's cold enough to affect propane.  ??
><((((º>`·.¸¸.·´¯`·.¸.·´¯`·...¸><((((º>
. .·´¯`·.. ><((((º>´¯`·...¸><((((º>

Offline 2FishinBuddies

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Mar 11, 2013, 10:18 PM »
All my propane stoves and lanterns freeze up in the cold. I prefer the white gas lanterns. They run for hours on a tank and pumping is not that big a deal.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Mar 11, 2013, 10:28 PM »
I have a 5 pound tank for my stove/BBQ for the times I bring it. I also have a coleman white gas burner and a regular 2 mantel white gas lantern.   Propane would be easier and cleaner, but unpredictable in the cold.

Offline Nozzlejocky

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wisconsin...where God goes to relax!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 12, 2013, 05:18 AM »
I have each, as well as stoves in each gas source.  As others have noted, propane gets the nod for ease of use.  I have a hard time getting rid of the white gas models though as they still work fine.  And I do find a bit of nostalgia with the old gas units.  Gas is getting rather expensive for them though, so they aren't my daily users much anymore.

Offline kb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Mar 12, 2013, 05:32 AM »
What differance does the generator on the propane lamp make?  Don't they still have them?

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Mar 12, 2013, 05:54 AM »
I do find a bit of nostalgia with the old gas units.

You ought to try a  kerosene lamp, if you want nostalgia.

WS

Offline SKilo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Mar 12, 2013, 11:35 AM »
I've got both the Northstar propane lantern with the long single mantel and a dual fuel with the original style mantel. I actually prefer the Northstar with the longer mantel. In my opinion they seem to hold up better when getting banged around and I like the cage around the globe. A buddy of mine was using it last year and slipped on the ice, sent the lantern flying thru the air and when it landed it just cracked the globe.

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #21 on: Mar 12, 2013, 11:42 AM »
For some reason the white gas lantern's fumes give me a headache and make me queezy. 

I run a coleman dual mantel propane, but instead of a glass globe, I have one of these

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Mar 12, 2013, 01:56 PM »
I've got both the Northstar propane lantern with the long single mantel and a dual fuel with the original style mantel. I actually prefer the Northstar with the longer mantel.

I do as well, and I completely agree.  I really like the Northstar.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Mar 12, 2013, 05:14 PM »
I've heard mention of possible problems with green bomb lanterns in the cold...

None here, it get's mighty cold here too. I don't think a lantern draws enough propane to cause freeze ups like a buddy heater can.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Mar 12, 2013, 09:11 PM »
Well I guess I never considered the effects of propane from the cold.. I just wanted to keep using propane because my heater runs off propane, and that way I could carry a lantern too and swap the cylinder over at night. 

Out of the non-propane fuels, which ones do you all like best?

Go Beavers!

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #25 on: Mar 12, 2013, 09:17 PM »
White (Coleman) fuel....

I quit using white gas because I got it on my fingers. Propane is the ticket for fishing, IMO. Petroleum flavored fingers are as good as fish repellent.

Offline Dinosaur1

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Mar 13, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Ok, here's one I like. Try a Quartz Mountain single mantle with the push button lighter. Just enough heat and light and a tank of propane lasts a long time. Buy a bottom from Bass Pro and you're set.

Offline Clear_Ice

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Mar 14, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Dinosaur brings up a good point.. Is there other brands other than Coleman that you all use?

Go Beavers!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Mar 15, 2013, 02:52 AM »
I have a Coleman Dual Fuel Powerhouse and like it a lot.  It's bright and a tank of fuel lasts a good while.  I considered a propane lantern but decided on this because of the ability to use either white gas or regular gas which I can get any where.  If you forget to get propane you can't pick it up at any gas station and on top of that you don't have to figure out what to do with or where to get rid of the empty propane tanks. 

Offline eyefish2

• IceShanty Rookie
  • You can never make up for a day of missed fishing
« Reply #29 on: Mar 18, 2013, 09:44 PM »
I read one comment on LED head lamps and I second the comment.   I used to run a Coleman double mantel lantern and I thought it worked great.  One trip with a LED head lamp and it worked greater than great.  No more gas to fill the lantern, no more broken mantels, no more broken glass on the lantern and no more fumes and no more having to start the lantern.  LED head lamps run for 50-80 hours and they throw plenty of light for fishing in a shanty.

As far as heat goes, yes the lantern will throw some heat but you will probably need more than what they throw.  My two cents ==> LED is the way to go for light and find a different heat source.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.