Author Topic: Tip Downs?????  (Read 1990 times)

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Tip Downs?????
« on: Oct 28, 2005, 02:53 PM »
Could someone please explain these to me, as I have never seen one in use around here. I have looked at some pictures of homemade ones on here and find them quite interesting, are they available comercially??
It seems that the basic concept is a rod/reel/spool properally balanced on a stand so that the rod "tips down" when a fish strikes the bait?
Do these have a "free spool" mode so the fish can run with the bait? Or do you need to be close enough to grab the setup before the fish feels/drops the bait?
What are the advantages over a regular tipup?
Thanks for your input.
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
Re: Tip Downs?????
« Reply #1 on: Oct 28, 2005, 03:28 PM »
they are better that normal tipups for me, the line is exposed and you can detect small nibbles easily. my dad makes good ones, ill see if i can find a pic
nope. couldnt find one.

\
  \
    \
      \
        \
          \
            \
              \
               ]
               ]
               O
               ]
               ]               
               ]
               ]
               ]

Kind of like that, the connection of the stock and the dowelling is held on by door stop springs, screwed onto the dowelling, and eyelets are screwed into the dowelling in the middle and on the end. You can buy little black plastic reels , showed as a "O" in the diagram, but we just make our own out of teflon discs of plastic and a grinder. you set your depth, then tighetn the drag on the reel to the desired tautness. when a fish bites, whether it be a northern, or bluegill, you can see the slightest little dab. they are great. thats all i have EVER used.
<--------  Tip-Down  ;D The stock is made of 2x2's. and the ende is cut diaganally to allot the spring to stand out on a 45 degree angle.

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 28, 2005, 03:54 PM »
heres a better picture:

and a GIF just for fun  ;D

;D

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 28, 2005, 03:58 PM »
I seem to be even more cofussed than I was when I made the first post.
stock?
dowling?
door stop springs?  at least I know what these are
teflon discs?

Do you detect the "small nibbles" by watching the line?

Another question, are these used instead of a rod in the hand, or are they spread out like regular tipups? Perhaps they are not used/are nothing like regular tipups??
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 28, 2005, 04:00 PM »
You posted while I was learning to type...............dis regard.

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 28, 2005, 08:37 PM »
do you have any more questions? :)

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #6 on: Nov 28, 2005, 12:46 PM »
Here is a link to the Tip Downs that we make, if you have any questions email me at [email protected]

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=18294.msg158509#msg158509

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.