Author Topic: The ice... IS THE END NEAR???  (Read 1786 times)

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
The ice... IS THE END NEAR???
« on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:19 PM »
Do u guys think our season is almost over down here? Do u think the ice will hold up for the weekend, because i hope to hit the ice one or 2 more times. still a good 6-8 inches on my local pond.

Offline Bassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ~ FLAG-UP ~
Re: The ice... IS THE END NEAR???
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:05 PM »
Touch and go down here.
Keep your nose to the ice................
Mike & Otis the sled dog

vanillaice

« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2013, 08:10 PM »
2 guys went through getting out on wawasee slip this afternoon/eve.  plenty ice in center, getting out will be trick after next couple days.  follow tracks and dont go alone.

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #3 on: Feb 26, 2013, 01:40 AM »
thats what planks are for

Offline comeonnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Feb 26, 2013, 02:01 PM »
thats what planks are for
Got a little wet getting off today. Might be time to break out the big board :)

Offline petrgill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2013, 02:23 PM »
Stump was getting sketchy on the edges yesterday.  I can't imagine the rain/temps are going to help tomorrow.

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Conserve and protect the environment
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2013, 02:31 PM »
Pascoag was wet on the edges and got really soft today... 1 to 2 inches of rain will end it, I fear.
2 guys went to Wilson's, 5 feet of water on the shore to the ice at the boat ramp. 
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't care and the people that do don't matter.

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2013, 03:15 PM »
well i guess we will just have to wait and see...

Offline fishing girl forever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 26, 2013, 03:31 PM »
I was out on wakefield up in Burrillvile and the boat ramp was watery but still frozen and guys were out so I went off of a friends dock who lives on the lake.  I was in the middle of the cove to the right of the boat ramp heading toward the island when the ice started shattering under my feet.  The water is at least 10ft deep there.  Every step I took it was cracking under my feet and water was seeping in!  SCARIEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE :o!  I just told myself to keep walking at a steady pace.  I didn't have my safety picks either.  I made it to hard ice again and followed the tracks off the ice to the watery boat ramp and walked through the water to get out.  Once I hit land I just had to sit down cause I was shaking so much!    My husband and father went through about waste deep while heading to the boat ramp after I yelled to them to get off.  There was a solid 5inches of ice where they were so they thought it was safe and when they went out the ramp was completely frozen.  Ice can change really fast, even within a few hours.  There are soft spots you can't see.  BE SAFE OUT THERE!!  A little pickerel all the way to a huge pike is not worth going under the ice!
-*Kristen*-

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Feb 26, 2013, 04:06 PM »
did u do any fishing at all?

Offline fishing girl forever

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 26, 2013, 04:16 PM »
Hell NO!  not after I almost went in!  it took me a couple weeks to get out there again....it was soo scary. i went out for the first time after that for the tournament on wilsons and i knew there was a solid 9 inches out there but i was still shaky first walking out there.   
-*Kristen*-

Offline MRC2572

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 26, 2013, 04:45 PM »
Well after the rain it is supposed to be semi-cold again so it should be ok as long as you bring a plank

Offline Ballbag

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 26, 2013, 11:07 PM »
Good luck with the ice...I'm done for the season because I'm going away for a few weeks. This rain is gonna screw things up...bummer! I had a good season but wish I would have caught a few more fish. Ill be sharpening my 6 inch auger blades in the off season  :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:!! Stay safe everyone!

Offline pascoag icefisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 27, 2013, 05:46 AM »
did u do any fishing at all?

I was out on wakefield up in Burrillvile and the boat ramp was watery but still frozen and guys were out so I went off of a friends dock who lives on the lake.  I was in the middle of the cove to the right of the boat ramp heading toward the island when the ice started shattering under my feet.  The water is at least 10ft deep there.  Every step I took it was cracking under my feet and water was seeping in!  SCARIEST MOMENT OF MY LIFE :o!  I just told myself to keep walking at a steady pace.  I didn't have my safety picks either.  I made it to hard ice again and followed the tracks off the ice to the watery boat ramp and walked through the water to get out.  Once I hit land I just had to sit down cause I was shaking so much!    My husband and father went through about waste deep while heading to the boat ramp after I yelled to them to get off.  There was a solid 5inches of ice where they were so they thought it was safe and when they went out the ramp was completely frozen.  Ice can change really fast, even within a few hours.  There are soft spots you can't see.  BE SAFE OUT THERE!!  A little pickerel all the way to a huge pike is not worth going under the ice!
me and my father  in law had fish for about 4 hours before see got there. I catch two 3 plus pound bass and 3 pics. there was 4 to 5 inches of ice but was hairy out there and the edges were soft.

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 27, 2013, 06:02 AM »
yeah we might be able to fish once more this weekend if we bring a plank... but the seasin still might go on for a while up in mass and new hampshire. i might put my stuff away soon and start getting my open water stuff ready

Offline halfhooked

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • anything more would be shopping
« Reply #15 on: Feb 27, 2013, 08:13 AM »
3rd week of march 2 years ago I fished wnne in NH

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Feb 27, 2013, 01:25 PM »
3rd week of march 2 years ago I fished wnne in NH
I was thinking of that. even if the season ends down herewe could still fish up in northern new england for a couple of weeks. we might be able to fish in new hampshire vermont and maine untill halfway through march and maybe even till april

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 27, 2013, 04:30 PM »
we were on 16" on Friday, about 14" Sat at a different lake.  Hard to find less than a foot right now.  It would be possible to fish through to april first up here.  :P ;D

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:09 AM »
we were on 16" on Friday, about 14" Sat at a different lake.  Hard to find less than a foot right now.  It would be possible to fish through to april first up here.  :P ;D
Where did u fish?

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:13 AM »
we were on Sabbathday and the Range ponds in southern maine.  I was just confirming that if you head north you still have about a month of good ice.

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:02 AM »
What is the cost of a 3 day license in ME now?
Always be yourself because the people that matter don't care and the people that do don't matter.

Offline Dankenstein

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:10 AM »
3 day is 23$ and a one day is 11$.

Offline Cold Ice Steve

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:23 AM »
thanks

Offline railroad pat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:36 AM »
i have never ice fished lake wawasee, how much ice is left, and were would be a good place to fish and also were to park, any advice would help !todays date is feb.28,2013  thank you from railroad pat have a great day !
railroad pat

Offline _Icecold_

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 28, 2013, 02:18 PM »
ohh i thought u were talking about up in mass

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.