Author Topic: Looking for ice....  (Read 1934 times)

Offline Navy Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
Looking for ice....
« on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:05 PM »
I live near Pachaug in Griswold (eastern ct).  Anyone know of any good ice for this coming weekend?  I think its done this side of the state.  I will go to VT if i have too... :tipup:

Offline BassOn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Looking for ice....
« Reply #1 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:21 PM »
Take a look on the mass/ct border im sure ull find ice...was on a cove here in sw ct this afternoon chasing calico...today was probably the last of the safe shorline ice down here.

Offline Ravo Himself

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:23 PM »
They just had a tourney at pachaug. I'm sure the ice is probably still good
The BIG one is just one flag away!

Species caught : largemouth, smallmouth,  bluegill, perch, White perch, crappie, trout, catfish, bowfin, pickerel, pike

-Ryan-

Offline icechaser

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:45 PM »
@ your end try breakneck. Take the hike in rather than the drive. Small pickerel dominate the shallows so look at the map and stay over 10'. Mashapaug's still quite solid, but slower- much slower. Look @ the usgs quads online of different ponds and lakes your way. Anything over 400 ft. elev. and less than 20 ft. deep should be quite fishable this weekend. 

Offline PIKEASORIS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:46 PM »
Even with the recent and upcoming rain and warm temps this week Ill be on Pachaug atleast One more time THIS Weekend...

Offline icefishingct98

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Bring on the ice!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 26, 2013, 05:03 AM »
Pickerel lake. ;D East Haddam
I live for pike,bass,crappie,pickerel, and anything thats big and swims! Can't go jigging without my vex!

Offline Navy Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 26, 2013, 11:40 AM »
hows the ice on pickerel?

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 26, 2013, 11:58 AM »
Take a look on the mass/ct border im sure ull find ice...was on a cove here in sw ct this afternoon chasing calico...today was probably the last of the safe shorline ice down here.

I had around 10 inches of a mixture of water, slush and ice in Trumbull on Sunday. With this coming rain I would say we not make it back on this year or atleast the edges will be gone. The thing is the low temps come friday dont look too bad. Its just a matter of getting there.

Offline Oldfart

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Cant feel what fingers? You still got fingers?
« Reply #8 on: Feb 28, 2013, 03:01 PM »
Forget Vermont. 5 hour drive puts you into 24" of ice up here! Better sharpen that auger. ;D C'mon up!
I wish I was in heaven sittin down..........on a 5 gallon pail!

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Feb 28, 2013, 03:31 PM »
Forget Vermont. 5 hour drive puts you into 24" of ice up here! Better sharpen that auger. ;D C'mon up!

Forget 5 hour drive.  10 minutes from my house in CT and I'm on 20" of ice.  Come on down!

Offline hawk01

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2013, 04:37 PM »

How are the pike bait biting up there?

Offline Navy Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2013, 06:57 PM »
well, there is a fishing derby on lake morey in vt.  My dad used to take me there all the time when i was my kids age so i figure ill take it full circle.  Its a 3 hour drive so not too bad.

Offline lowaccord66

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:17 PM »
well, there is a fishing derby on lake morey in vt.  My dad used to take me there all the time when i was my kids age so i figure ill take it full circle.  Its a 3 hour drive so not too bad.

I like your mindset.  Go for a ride, why not!

Offline PIKEASORIS

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Feb 28, 2013, 07:31 PM »
 I Was wrong Pachaug Is DONE...

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #14 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:24 PM »
Im heading out at 3am for Adirondacks on a planned three day trip but looking forward to reports of you guys getting out this weekend cause its not over.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #15 on: Feb 28, 2013, 08:28 PM »
let us no how you do in newyork what are you targeting
what is and what should never be

Offline jammer icecube

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Danbury Fish & Game Hardwater Tour
« Reply #16 on: Feb 28, 2013, 10:07 PM »
pike and bass on tipups while jiggin crappie and jumbos, its usually very busy...i will

Offline Jessox80

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "The malevolent aged grin..."- Hughes
« Reply #17 on: Mar 01, 2013, 06:48 AM »
I Was wrong Pachaug Is DONE...

Yeah, I went out for a short after school trip on Wed and found the football field+ sized piece of ice I was fishing suddenly drifting out to the main lake. It was very surreal and took me a minute to figure out what was going on. I jammed my spud through the ice and deep into the mud to anchor it in place, but figured that was a clear sign that the hardwater is over. I was not rewarded with any fish, but it was kind of cool to have seen.
Pike fishing is a like a cruel mistress that is too beautiful to leave.

Offline Navy Angler

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Mar 03, 2013, 07:58 PM »
Had a great trip to Vt with the boy.  We drove the truck out on the ice to the same spot i fished with my dad 18 years ago and started setting up at 0430 (kinda early but wanted to ensure we got that spot).  I had a flag just after dawn and my heart sunk due to a 6 inch shiner being on the other end (lost it btw).  son caught 7 pickerel and won a trophy for the biggest kids pickerel.  He was pumped.

Time do dust off the boat!

Offline sr73087

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Mar 04, 2013, 11:19 AM »
I had around 10 inches of a mixture of water, slush and ice in Trumbull on Sunday. With this coming rain I would say we not make it back on this year or atleast the edges will be gone. The thing is the low temps come friday dont look too bad. Its just a matter of getting there.

I lost a few inches over the week but this had a soft 7-8 inches over most of the lake yesterday. Needed a board to get on, but once I was 2-3 feet from the bank the ice was fine. I was very surprised how well the ice has held up with the rain, especially the edges. How does the rest of SW CT look?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.