Author Topic: Ever user a camper for ice fishing?  (Read 2986 times)

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
Ever user a camper for ice fishing?
« on: Oct 26, 2005, 11:59 AM »
I just bought a 12" hardside camper, mainly to use during deer camp. However, it sits nice and low- seems to me it'd be easy enough to put some holes in the floor, make caps for them, and then just drop a 12" peice of PVC down through the floor, over my 10" hole. Does anyone have experience doing this? Just seems like it would be the ticket.

My only concern is getting it OFF the ice..some launches are pretty steep. I have a Ext. Cab Dakota, 4x4 with optional locking diffs. I'm thinking of a winch too...does this seem like a hairbrained idea to you guys?

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline stumper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Never settle for less
Re: Ever user a camper for ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2005, 12:07 PM »
LOL,A 12" camper huh.couldnt yah just put it in the back of your pick up? I have seen a few around here that use them.They work.

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 26, 2005, 12:10 PM »
The only thing that I can tell you is if my wife say me cutting holes in our camper floor she would well let's just say thing's would happen or probibly not happen :'(
        Jim

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #3 on: Oct 26, 2005, 04:38 PM »
if you got plenty of ice to support the weight why the heck not? sounds like it would be a sweet shanty with all the comforts of home!

Offline gillmaniac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 11"gill from a secret pond
« Reply #4 on: Oct 26, 2005, 04:41 PM »
that would be awesome. ahveing the heater on and the refrigerator and microwave and tv wow that would be nice
Go Team PA!

grumpymoe

« Reply #5 on: Oct 26, 2005, 07:09 PM »
I've seen some pretty whacky things on the ice.......a full size older van drove out one day with a stovepipe sticking up through the roof.....set up....drilled holes....fired up the woodstove inside....strangest looking thing to see smoke rolling out a pipe in a van.....also slide in truck campers with skis.........not that many around anymore this way.....all the comforts.....just cut the holes....same with a hardside camping trailer......make it comfortable...a little ingenuity....and your better half may just forgive you..... ;D....(for cutting holes in the floor)....Grump

Offline trev.357

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 26, 2005, 08:14 PM »
i did the same thing this year I'm hoping it will work. I'm only planing on putting 2 holes in it  i took out the bathroom and the cupboards along the back of it . the only thing i see as a problem is the windows. on mine they work on a louver system and i think I'm going to get allot of drafting from them so I'm planing on using that plastic window shrink wrapping and if it is still to cold i will use some of the hard insulation and just cut it to fit. I'm also going to get a couple of bundles of the pink insulation to put under the seats  i left those alone and the table too and one closet but everything else that was on the floor got taken out.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #7 on: Oct 28, 2005, 07:18 PM »
Ive been doing it for about 10 years and love it. Eight inch holes and 10 inch pvc. I can move it as fast or faster than a lot of home made portables.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #8 on: Oct 31, 2005, 12:06 PM »
Well that seals it! It's on like Donkey Kong!

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.