Author Topic: Tip-up Rigs...  (Read 2632 times)

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Tip-up Rigs...
« on: Oct 25, 2005, 06:09 PM »
Hey all,

I don't recall ever reading a thread about tip-up rigs and what everyone rigs theirs with, including line, leaders, jigs, hooks, rigs, etc...

I was actually wondering myself - has anyone used a crappie rig on a tipup in the winter?  All I've ever used are red hooks and various jigheads...

-WF.

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Tip-up Rigs...
« Reply #1 on: Oct 25, 2005, 06:18 PM »
I usaully have some sort of braided line (Fireline Ice) on the spools.  I use my tip-ups mainly for pike and larger fish.  If ever do put tip-ups out for crappie or perch I will tie a 2 or 4 pound mono leader onto the end.  This saves me from swithching line based on what I am fishing for.  For pike I use a large treble and for crappies or perch I will use a small number 8 treble.  I usaully don't have alot of luck with crappies on tip-ups because they can be so finicky and I believe they feel the weight of the line.  Usually when I go fishing for perch or crappies the tip-ups end up being a pain in the arse, especially if they are very active.  I found that I can catch 3 times as many perch or crappie just jigging rather than using tip-ups. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #2 on: Oct 25, 2005, 07:40 PM »
i put about a hundred yds of 30# dacron for backing and then a 6' ice lice or super braid leader or Tyger steel for pike. i plan on trying the power pro ice this year. i like excalibur hooks they are nice and sharp right out of the package

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 25, 2005, 07:43 PM »
I do the same as billditrite. Dacron backer with mono leader to a single hook and tiped with a minnow.
        Jim

Offline jacksmelt71

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Oct 25, 2005, 09:37 PM »
45# dacron 75yrds w/ 10ft. 17#florocarbon leader tipped w/ sz. 4 red octopuss hook. use this rig for togue, sal., and brookies.

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #5 on: Oct 25, 2005, 10:07 PM »
8 lb triline with 6lb leader #4 hook tipped with a 3" shiner

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

MikeThePike

« Reply #6 on: Oct 25, 2005, 11:21 PM »
I usually use 25lb dacron on all my tip-ups but have switched to 50lb on my heritage lakers which will be used almost strictly for muskies.

I have 25lb on all my other tip-ups and the hook and leader varies by the species I'll be targeting for that day.

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 26, 2005, 07:51 AM »
I'm with ya Mikepike - rig mine same as yours!

Now, let me ask this... has anyone had better luck with red hooks or trebles vs. the regular black?

-WF.

Offline AD

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice addict
« Reply #8 on: Oct 30, 2005, 09:47 AM »
I usually put as much line onto the tip-up as it can hold, I'd rather have extra than to loose a big fish at the end of a good run.       
     I mostly fish for pike, pickerel, and Tiger Muskies, what Ive been using is about a 6 inch bead chain swivel, and then  a regular cable leader, the esocids dont seem to be othered by any, we get a fair amount of flags.    I have tried using snelled hooks and making my own leader out of mono, but have gotten more then a few bite off and faulty knotts due to how heavy the mono is.    I was using red trebles, the kind where one of the hook is large than the other two and really liked them.    I plan on trying to make my own cable leader rigs this winter with those red trebles.   (If I ever make it back north for some ice fishing).     
It doesn't matter if you didn't catch anything as long as you had fun.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #9 on: Oct 30, 2005, 09:21 PM »
Lake Trout - Barrel swivel on the end of my HT Vinyl Coated Tip Up Line. Follow that with 3 feet of 12 pound fluorocarbon. On the end, put a 2 1/2" - 3 1/2" chartreuse or white tube tipped with a piece of sucker or other oily baitfish. The tubes seem to get me a lot more hits than plain deadbait for lake trout.

Pike - Same as lake trout, except three feet of at least 15 pound fluorocarbon as leader. Slip on one #6 treble and leave it sliding on the line, then tie another #6 treble on the end. If you need weight, use nail style weights in your deadbait or stick a split shot in the bait's mouth.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Nov 08, 2005, 11:50 PM »
I cant spool my tipups with any more than about 30 yds of 30# dacron because of where and how I fish with tipups. I dont want a 20lb Northern or Laker to spool me when I have 100 yards of line on my spool. Just asking for trouble and a hand freezing rewind job to boot. No thanks.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 09, 2005, 08:34 AM »
I cant spool my tipups with any more than about 30 yds of 30# dacron because of where and how I fish with tipups. I dont want a 20lb Northern or Laker to spool me when I have 100 yards of line on my spool. Just asking for trouble and a hand freezing rewind job to boot. No thanks.

Understandable.... when ya catch the HOG fish that you do!!!  I think all the IS members need to follow you out on your anual trip to get in on some of that huge northern and laker fishing!!!!  I'd give just about anything to have a day like that, well, almost anything!!!  ;D

-WF.

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #12 on: Nov 09, 2005, 02:54 PM »

The Fort Peck fishing is almost too good. I will visit it sometime soon.
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline IceTroll

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Nov 12, 2005, 05:54 AM »
Come on out guys. I am getting ready to start planning my annual trip and like I have said a million times. Anyone who wants to go is welcome to share a camp with me. I will share all my secrets and hold nothing back. You really do need to bring an ATV or snow machine though if you ever decide to take me up on my offer. Its kind of a must on this body of water. Now if we could just get some cold weather :'(.
Being in the great outdoors is not a matter of life or death. Its far more important than that!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.