Author Topic: Coleman Sportcat Heater  (Read 9533 times)

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I'd Rather Be Ice Fishing!
Coleman Sportcat Heater
« on: Oct 21, 2005, 07:41 PM »
I have a Coleman Sportcat Heater....I bought it this past spring in preparation for the camping season.  Used it a few times but it's going to be primarily for ice fishing.  But, after reading a review of it in the In-Fisherman - 2006 Ice Fishing Guide today, I noticed that it might not keep me warm enough.  Does anyone have experience with this Coleman Sportcat?  I've seen and used the Mr. Heater and that bad boy really works....I'm afraid my heater might not cut it....If I need the Mr. Heater before the season, I'll have to get it.  Ice fishing can get less and less fun as the cold gets further and further into the bones!

Thanks - Andy - Detroit

Offline BrianF

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Coleman Sportcat Heater
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2005, 08:15 PM »
I had one and ended up returning it. It threw off enough heat to keep your hands warm on a cold day (outdoors). Which is really sweat if you are getting your hands wet dealing with bait or fish and need to warm / dry them before tucking them into the gloves. So in that regard it was handy.

Now I use a Mr. Buddy heater and it is like having the sun right there in a two man portable shanty.

I guess it depends on if you are indoors or out and what your comfort level is. I never tried it in a shanty but would imagine if you trapped some of that heat it could work.

Try it and you'll know (ask your bones - ha ha).  :D

Brian

Offline kenelz

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go ice fishin
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2005, 10:32 PM »
I bought one also a couple years ago, used it once, just about useless, and returned it. Bought the larger Black Cat(?) and it works OK. Usually a lantern puts out enought heat by itself.

Offline perch pounder

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Poundin' those little guys
« Reply #3 on: Oct 23, 2005, 11:01 AM »
I agree . A Black Cat is about as small as it should go for heaters . It will take the edge off a cold day inside a 1-2 man portable but that is about it .
What am I doing sitting in front of this computer ..............
I should be out fishing

Dan Wiens

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Oct 23, 2005, 11:25 AM »
Don't mess around get yourself a buddy heater. They are $70 most places well worth it!
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline AugustWest

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Oct 23, 2005, 12:59 PM »
I have the Coleman Pro Cat. I used it all last season in a Fish Trap Pro and it worked great. They cost as much as Mr. Buddy. I have never tried Mr. Buddy, so I can't compare the two.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2005, 02:53 PM »
There is a big difference between Coleman sportscats/blackcats and a m.r. buddy heater. If your looking to be 100% comfortable all day go with a buddy heater.I have owned both.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

Offline Waubay Fisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2005, 09:16 PM »
Definitely go w/ the Buddy... you won't regret it and it's worth the extra $30-40 you'll spend.  I've had both, and only use the cat in junction w/ the Buddy on rare occasions that it's REALLY, REALLY cold out...

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2005, 06:21 AM »
I have a Coleman Sportcat Heater....I bought it this past spring in preparation for the camping season.  Used it a few times but it's going to be primarily for ice fishing.  But, after reading a review of it in the In-Fisherman - 2006 Ice Fishing Guide today, I noticed that it might not keep me warm enough.  Does anyone have experience with this Coleman Sportcat?  I've seen and used the Mr. Heater and that bad boy really works....I'm afraid my heater might not cut it....If I need the Mr. Heater before the season, I'll have to get it.  Ice fishing can get less and less fun as the cold gets further and further into the bones!

Thanks - Andy - Detroit
the mr heater is awesome.  i bought a knock-off heater at home cheapo, it works ok, but it takes forever to light.  im getting a mr heater in a few days for sure.
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2005, 07:06 AM »
I had one and returned it the next day.  They were useless in cold weather.  Get yourself a buddy heater and you won't have to worry about a thing. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline BJ

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • FLAAAAGGGGG!!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2005, 07:37 AM »
Had black cat and found that it didnt throw off enough heat for me. My coleman lantern threw off more heat. I now have the Mr. buddy and there is no comparison. I use it in my portable and most of the time its like Aruba in there!!

Offline Robb

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Secret Spot
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2005, 07:42 AM »
Mine is kinda weak also, takes a while to get the 2 man warmed up.

Robb :tipup:

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2005, 12:15 PM »
I bought a sport cat last year for in my hunting tree stand since I had to take my 2 young kid's along. It is 5' by 7' and I may as well of just took my hat off because my head would have put off more heat. I have one of the bigger(not sure the model) coleman cat heaters that has the fan on and it work's good just sitting on the ice in front of you not in a hut. That baby will be going to the treestand this year and maybe the kid's will stay longer.
       Jim

Offline killitandgrillit

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Drilling and Grilling!
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2005, 01:22 PM »
Yeah, what everyone else said. The sportcat is good for keeping your hands warm in the blind, but does not pump out enough BTU's for heating a decent sized shack. I use a ProCat on mild days (30 degrees F), but I need to break out the Buddy when temps dip down to zero and below. The buddy is nice because of the variable temp settings....the Procat is either on or off. Winter does not have just one setting, why should your heater? :P

"I fish because I love to; because I love the environs where trout are found,because I suspect that men are going along this way for the last time, and I  don't want to waste the trip; maybe one day I will catch a mermaid; and finally, not because I regard fishing as being so terribly important, but because I suspect that so m

Offline wyogator

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Oct 24, 2005, 04:02 PM »
I bought a Black Cat on sale at Wally World for 30 bucks, tried it a few times and found that I needed something better. I later bought the Buddy for 70 bucks, thinking that I could use both. Turns out; the buddy cranks out so much heat, I leave the Black Cat at home. I think the Black Cat is fine from 10 degrees on up. I like the safety shut off on the Buddy though.

Offline ol crawdad

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FISH HUNT LIVE
« Reply #15 on: Oct 24, 2005, 04:05 PM »
More of a handwarmer than a heater to warm a shanty.  It will last 'forever' on a tank of fuel...

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #16 on: Oct 24, 2005, 05:21 PM »
whatever you do, dont buy a "dyna glow" lol
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Oct 29, 2005, 06:47 AM »
Well....I did it.  I took the Coleman Sport Cat back.  Had to return a scope/mount combo for my SKS because it was a cheap piece o' crap.  Both of those transactions allowed me to pick up the Mr. Heater Portable last night at Cabelas....couldn't be happier!

Now, all I need is ice to cut through!

Thanks to everyone who offered up suggestions and advice.

Here's to a successful ice fishing season for all of you!

Andy - Detroit

Offline FishDaddy09

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Oct 29, 2005, 09:54 AM »
Andy, you will like your buddy! Some guys like to make a small sheet metal sheild for the pilot light it helps with the wind blowing out the heater, not a problem as long as you are inside the shanty.
There is nothing in the world I'd rather do than ice fish!

Offline The Clam

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • icin' eyes
« Reply #19 on: Oct 30, 2005, 08:46 AM »
The only thing I found it good for was to cook a hot dog...That is if you had a half hour to spare.
Fish may be stupid but I've never seen a perch sitting in a boat with a second degree sun burn trying to catch a man.

Offline Polar

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Oct 30, 2005, 01:33 PM »
Andy:

Didn't anyone tell you that the Mr. Buddy heater doesn't work on the west end of Erie.  Sorry.
It only works here on the east end in Buffalo.
hehehe

You made a smart decision.  You will like the performance of that heater.

And you might want to do as fishdaddy said and retrofit it with a small wind deflector over the pilot area.  It is prone to blowing out when you open your shanty flap or door.  There was a post or two showing the retrofit here somewhere on IS.  I sure wish someone would post a link to one of them for us.

Take care.
Mac

This might be it.If not it will get you close..

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=14078.msg112867;topicseen#msg112867
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an  well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, A fishing pole in one hand, beer in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming \"WOO HOO, what a ride!

oakorchardfishking

« Reply #21 on: Oct 30, 2005, 10:21 PM »
whatever you do, dont buy a "dyna glow" lol

can you give your opinion on this statement you have made?
i have looked at them and compared them to the buddy! i dont see anything different really except about 20 bucks cheaper!
also, i have a few friends that have them and say they are just as good as ther buddy heater.
would like to know why you feel this way about the product.... or anyone else!

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Oct 31, 2005, 10:16 AM »
I would like to see that mod.

Offline vancouvercanuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Oct 31, 2005, 01:48 PM »
http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=19967.15

I think that's it. Looks like a good mod.

Offline hwangler001(formerly icey)

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #24 on: Oct 31, 2005, 06:48 PM »
My Mr. Buddy blows out if you fart in the wrong direction. I don't use it.

Offline WartHog

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Dec 28, 2005, 12:49 PM »

Offline walleyeslayer

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • fish obsessed
« Reply #26 on: Dec 28, 2005, 02:33 PM »
can you give your opinion on this statement you have made?
i have looked at them and compared them to the buddy! i dont see anything different really except about 20 bucks cheaper!
also, i have a few friends that have them and say they are just as good as ther buddy heater.
would like to know why you feel this way about the product.... or anyone else!
it takes forever to light.  once it does, the slighest draft blows it out.  i got my mrbuddy, and it works great, well worth the extra money
HeRE FisHIe FisHIE

Offline nostral

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 02, 2006, 09:25 AM »
I am going to be camping this weekend, and the user manual says the Sportcat heater is good for tent use, BUT it also says not to use it while asleep. Now, does anyone have any experience on how dangerous this type of heater is to use in a tent while sleeping? Is the CO2 output really that dangerous if you leave a small window open in the tent while the heater is running? Any info would help....thanks!

NoStRaL

Offline SleePac

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Nov 02, 2006, 09:30 AM »
I'd say use it with the window cracked for ventilation.  BUT - just before crashing for the night, cut it off.....bring an electric blanket with you and you'll be perfect.  That's assuming you'll have electric hook up!

Have fun - but be safe with the heater.

Offline X-Rap

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Dec 29, 2006, 08:06 PM »
My kids got me the Pro Cat for Christmas so I pretty much will use it. That said the Pro Cat and Mister Heaters are apples and oranges as far as function the Colemans are catalytic and produce a lower heat than the Mister Heaters which burn directly. Pros and cons to both. I also have the Mister Heater blind heater/stove and believe that these burn gas much faster than a catalytic but will heat faster. The catalitic on the other hand can sit in the sled behind the seats and run all day and not burn down the shack. Just a mater of how cold it is and how often you open the door.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.