The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: What color line and Hooks?  (Read 969 times)

Offline ice4life

• Team IceShanty Regular
What color line and Hooks?
« on: Feb 15, 2013, 11:59 AM »
For tip ups I use 10lb blue colored line (Power Pro Ice). With a 6" wire leader and a size 6 treble hook (I believe its size 6)... Reading the latest postings on leaders, i am heading out as we speak to buy flourocarbon leaders and switch them out lol

What my real question is does the color of the hook matter? I am thinking of buying red treble hooks, will it make a difference? i am using regular nickle/bronze ones right now...

Offline Freytown

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: What color line and Hooks?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2013, 12:38 PM »
Maybe maybe not. I look at it this way. If I put either red or nickle/bronze  treble at the end of my line and NO bait...probably won't catch anything. Now hook on a nice lively minnow and your chances go way up. Conclusion: Was it the hook color or the minnow?? :P

Offline tackleshack

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Owner of Tackle Shack
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2013, 01:03 PM »
Maybe maybe not. I look at it this way. If I put either red or nickle/bronze  treble at the end of my line and NO bait...probably won't catch anything. Now hook on a nice lively minnow and your chances go way up. Conclusion: Was it the hook color or the minnow?? :P

That's about the best response I've read for hook color lol.  I tend to have the same opinion...hook color doesn't matter, its the bait that  catches the fish.  Over the years I've sold tens of thousands of hooks including red hooks, green hooks, black, nickel, orange, heck even glow hooks, and I really honestly can't say the fish care one way or another.  But, to each his own.  I have a number of guys swear to me that the colored ones work better.  Personally I think its a mental thing...if you think a red hook will catch more fish, then likely that red hook will catch more fish.  Confidence in products tends to tip the scale one way or another in its effectiveness.

I do tend to like the blue color line on the ice.  I don't use tipups much, but for jigging, I like the Blue/clear line.  Either that or straight clear line.  If i'm running braid or tipup line, there is definitely a flouro leader on the end of it. 

Don
Don Kelly

Tackle Shack
9683 Route 287
Wellsboro, PA 16901
570-724-5138
[email protected]
www.wellsborotacklesha ck.com

Shop Online anytime at www.shoptackleshack.co m

Like us on Facebook- www.facebook.com/wellsborotackleshack

Follow us on Twitter
@TackleShackPA

Follow us on Instagram
@Wellsborotackleshack #tackleshack #fishtiogacounty

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2013, 01:58 PM »
For tip ups I use 10lb blue colored line (Power Pro Ice). With a 6" wire leader and a size 6 treble hook (I believe its size 6)... Reading the latest postings on leaders, i am heading out as we speak to buy flourocarbon leaders and switch them out lol

What my real question is does the color of the hook matter? I am thinking of buying red treble hooks, will it make a difference? i am using regular nickle/bronze ones right now...
Be careful with braid on tip ups, especially with the really small diameter of the 10lb. If you hook a large fish that decides to make a run it will slice you to the bone. I've seen it first hand in open water fishing where someone grabbed the braid to land a fish. That being said, I don't buy into the red hook hype.

Offline ZeroDark30

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2013, 05:04 PM »
I suppose some anglers have greater success with red hooks; my experience is that they attract more consumers than fish.

Offline poorman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2013, 05:23 PM »
I still have one rod with the blue ice line, but all the rest have Cajun Red. It's easy to see against the ice and it's much tougher than the blue ice line.

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2013, 02:56 PM »
Fluorocarbon 14 lb test and standard bronze #8 or so treble hook. I also use the standard black 20 lb braided line on the tipup. I am not saying you will never have something bite through the fluorocarbon, but the advantage to the treble hooks it that you can set the hook right away. Most times the hook is in the corner of their mouths. If it does break off put a new rig on.

Offline guthookedPA

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 19, 2013, 07:48 PM »
Be careful with braid on tip ups, especially with the really small diameter of the 10lb. If you hook a large fish that decides to make a run it will slice you to the bone. I've seen it first hand in open water fishing where someone grabbed the braid to land a fish. That being said, I don't buy into the red hook hype.

X2, My line is way bigger than 10lb and I had a 10.5 pound pike slice right through my finger yesterday.

Offline clayboy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 19, 2013, 09:16 PM »
For line it is the cajion red 4lb. for jigin. hooks I cant say it makes a diff

Offline Notar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 23, 2013, 06:59 PM »
Will someone be kind enough to explain the preference of treble hooks? 

Offline Fishingjg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2013, 04:07 PM »
A friend of mine told me that up in New York they use them with a lot of luck. I tried them and like using them. Pretty much when the fish takes the bait they are hooked. Of course there are exceptions, but for ice fishing with tip ups that is all I use.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Mar 18, 2013, 06:42 PM »
On my tip-ups I always put on 100 yards of 30 pound braided line, a barrel swivel, and then four feet of thirty pound Spiderwire EZ Braid.  It may sound like over kill but I like heavier braided line because it's bigger in diameter and is less likely to cut into my hand if I have a fish take off.  As for the thirty pound Spiderwire it has the strength of thirty pound line but the diameter of eight pound test and unless a fish bite through the line it's very unlikely it will break.  All my leaders I always measure and have them the same length to aid in determining how deep my line is.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.