Author Topic: Water tempuratures under ice  (Read 697 times)

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
Water tempuratures under ice
« on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:04 PM »
For you guys with cameras with thermometors,

What do you find for average water temps when fishing??

and temps you target??

I am very curious.  We have access to a pond with an artisian well and it never freezes, but I wonder if that doesnt make it calder than lakes with ice on them.

Thnaks!!

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Water tempuratures under ice
« Reply #1 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:09 PM »
0-65' at 36*F  on most lakes. With slight temp changes measured in tenths. Another good read>>>http://www.waterontheweb.org/under/lakeecology/05_stratification.html

Offline bigbuckmiddaugh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 12, 2013, 06:53 AM »
on our local lakes, bottom has been between 38-40 degrees...sometimes i'll get 42 degrees in 20 fow

On the river 15-20 fow  last time i was there it was 34-36 degrees, which would be from flowing water

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Feb 12, 2013, 07:09 AM »
0-65' at 36*F  on most lakes. With slight temp changes measured in tenths. Another good read>>>http://www.waterontheweb.org/under/lakeecology/05_stratification.html

Thanks for the link. Very good!

WS

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #4 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:37 AM »
Water is most dense at about 39f and settles to the bottom of the lake, so the water just under the ice is near 32f. I think oxygen has more to do with fish location than water temp mid to late ice.

Offline IceHutt

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Keep & bear arms.Assume nothing.Fish & hunt often!
« Reply #5 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:50 AM »
Very good information from this link.  Water temps are a mysterious thing....if the temp is above freezing, why doesn't the ice melt from below?  Points to ponder....     Happy trails.

Offline nate95366

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 12, 2013, 12:37 PM »
Very good information from this link.  Water temps are a mysterious thing....if the temp is above freezing, why doesn't the ice melt from below?  Points to ponder....     Happy trails.

Water is one of the stranger materials in the world when it comes to how its density changes with temperature.  As has already been mentioned, the density of water peaks at about 39 deg F (4 deg C), so without taking currents or springs into account, it's the temperature most likely to be found in the deeper sections of deeper lakes.  Water that is at the freezing point (32 deg F, 0 deg C) is less dense and can be found close to the ice.

Currents and springs can mix things up, as can a good breeze on a section of open water.  Rocks, stumps, etc under clear ice can absorb solar energy and warm water up.  Without those things interfering, though, density is the key factor in water temperature with depth.

Nate

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 12, 2013, 12:44 PM »
Water is most dense at about 39f and settles to the bottom of the lake, so the water just under the ice is near 32f. I think oxygen has more to do with fish location than water temp mid to late ice.
Both are relevant and while water does melt at 32*F, usually a lake is 41*F from top to bottom before thermal convection to the lower atmospheric temps produces ice. That being stated, the thermal transfer of heat thru the water will in fact bring the temps to 39* F and lower as you stated- as denser water sinks.  Click on the link provided for each example to gain a better understanding of water turnover :)

And yes ice erodes from the bottom up, but that is a whole other topic upon itself ;)

Offline fishm_n

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 24, 2013, 08:10 PM »
Thanks guys!! great link.

This set of ponds I am working with has water at 104 F coming in and leaves at 36 f, into the next pond. Pond 1 does not freeze.

Pond 2 has the water coming in at 36 f and leaves at 42 f and has 9 inches of ice on it. ??

I am still trying to figure it out.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.