Author Topic: Vexilar split shot test  (Read 9067 times)

Offline wallleyes

• IceShanty Rookie
Vexilar split shot test
« on: Feb 10, 2013, 01:45 PM »
Vexilar shows you that their flashers have 1 inch target separation in a video.If you do a youtube search for vexilar split shot test it will bring it up.Ok...so in the test they have a Marcum lx-5 and a Hummingbird ice -55.If you read the comments you see a post explaining why they only show the results of the vexilar.I have searched trying to find any video showing 3/4 inch separation that marcum says their units are.Anyone have any video showing they have 3/4 inch separation?Was looking at getting an lx-6 but after watching the video vexilar is my choice now.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Vexilar split shot test
« Reply #1 on: Feb 10, 2013, 01:51 PM »
dont no if they have a video for the 3/4 inch seperation i have a fl-16 and i love it  and it does have a 1 inch seperation no promblem
what is and what should never be

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 10, 2013, 02:05 PM »
Having owned Vex's for many years and still seeing them in action and now owning Marcums for several years the Vex's don't come close to the mechanical Marcums and not even in the same zipcode as the new Marcum Digitals....If you want to spend more for less get the Vex, if you want more for less then Marcum or HB are the best options....

Offline wallleyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 10, 2013, 02:17 PM »
Having owned Vex's for many years and still seeing them in action and now owning Marcums for several years the Vex's don't come close to the mechanical Marcums and not even in the same zipcode as the new Marcum Digitals....If you want to spend more for less get the Vex, if you want more for less then Marcum or HB are the best options....
[/quote
The lx-6 has some cool digital features....but i I would sure like to see some video showing the target separation.For me...seeing is beleiving.I just have to wonder why marcum or hummingbird has not put up a video showing their units are better in target separation.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 10, 2013, 02:22 PM »
Find someone in your area with a 6/7 and ask to see it in action, I have no problems with guys checking mine out to let them make up their own minds...Just sharing my personal experience, I'm not a staffer or paid to endores in anyway anyones products, I spend my own money on my toys...

Offline UP jigstick

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 10, 2013, 02:26 PM »

I know where this thread is headed!  ;) ;D ;D

Offline Dispy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 10, 2013, 02:30 PM »
Great choice...Vexilar FL 20 Pro Pac makes for great fish identification...there fore increasing your fish catching abilities :)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 10, 2013, 04:13 PM »
dont no if they have a video for the 3/4 inch seperation i have a fl-16 and i love it  and it does have a 1 inch seperation no promblem

You mean fl-18? Fl-18 has 2.65" target "seperation"... nice try though. All vex's except for the 22hd are 2.65" target separation.

The video you are talking about is just an advertisement for vexilar. Marcum does not need to self promote like that, so you likely will not see a video about it. But yes, if you were to try it you would see them 0.75" apart.

Plus I think in the video he has the splitshots 2" apart not 1". If he put them 1" apart you would just see a blurry line, vexilars need to be over 1" apart to see two lines. When you get close to 1" apart you will just see one big blurry line as vexilars do not have SFL (super fine line) feature like marcum does.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline wallleyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:13 PM »
Where did my post go????

Offline wallleyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:18 PM »
He did put the split shots 2-1/2 inches apart in the video.

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:28 PM »
I have added an attachment that explains in detail how the cone angle and separation actually works for all transducers. It is a great explanation and is worth watching.

Offline mr tip up

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:13 PM »
real good video just got done watch it thanks
what is and what should never be

Offline wallleyes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Feb 10, 2013, 06:58 PM »
Been reading lots of vex  vs marcum threads on different sites.They are all good flashers.cant go wrong with either brand.

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:36 PM »
You mean fl-18? Fl-18 has 2.65" target "seperation"... nice try though. All vex's except for the 22hd are 2.65" target separation.

The video you are talking about is just an advertisement for vexilar. Marcum does not need to self promote like that, so you likely will not see a video about it. But yes, if you were to try it you would see them 0.75" apart.

Plus I think in the video he has the splitshots 2" apart not 1". If he put them 1" apart you would just see a blurry line, vexilars need to be over 1" apart to see two lines. When you get close to 1" apart you will just see one big blurry line as vexilars do not have SFL (super fine line) feature like marcum does.

Of course it's an advertisement and Marcum self promotes as well and if you want to see how shameless Marcum can be in their self promotion just go to you tube and type "Vexilar FL-20" and see how many marcum "self promotional" videos come up. Yes, Marcum has tagged "every" Vexilar model!! Now do a search for Marcum LX-5 and see how many Vexilar self promotin videos come up............Yeah, you wont find one because Vexilar doesn't tag marcum.

Just watched the video and in fact Tom does do a 1" target separation demonstration and there are two distinct lines @ 45'.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:44 PM »
Through extensive personal use of both Vex and Marcum, Marcums clearly give you an advantage, better seperation, cleaner crisper finer lines, better at picking up bottom huggers, abiltiy to distigush more than 1 seperate fish in a school and still see your jig, better in weeds/brush... just a few things off the top of my head, plus no extra add on's to buy....

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 11, 2013, 03:57 PM »
Through extensive personal use of both Vex and Marcum, Marcums clearly give you an advantage, better seperation, cleaner crisper finer lines, better at picking up bottom huggers, abiltiy to distigush more than 1 seperate fish in a school and still see your jig, better in weeds/brush... just a few things off the top of my head, plus no extra add on's to buy....

So you have a video to show this that justifies all your relentless and monotonous vex bashing

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 11, 2013, 04:01 PM »
No not my job, we did it since we had both brands, hence why we now own all Marcums...Want to find out go buy one of each and use them side by side all season...You send me a check for my time and effort I'll make you a vid, my going rates $30 an hour....

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 11, 2013, 04:39 PM »
No not my job, we did it since we had both brands, hence why we now own all Marcums...Want to find out go buy one of each and use them side by side all season...You send me a check for my time and effort I'll make you a vid, my going rates $30 an hour....

I sure hope Marcums paying you more than that!

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:08 PM »

I don't get the "fine line" argument, the Vex has a nice "fine line" and have no issues seeing different fish when swarming around my jig, how fine do you want? My Vex is around three feet away from my eyeballs when fishing and any finer I would need to get closer which I don't want to. And doesn't the new Marcum 9 have a feature for increasing the line size?? I've had no problem seeing jigs in the weeds and if I want to clean up the display I hit the low power mode. That said, we don't have weeds up here like you folks have in the lower 48, they have to mow weeds on lakes in Minnesota  :o
As far as add on's go, they're a great option if you want something that fits your needs better than the base package, I love my Ultra Pack and it's nice to have that option available. All you get from Marcum is 1 option and that's it! When you buy a car/truck you can buy the base model or option that rig out, same with Vexilar.

No doubt your a pro with your extensive personal use and research, but for me, right now, the Vex FL 20 has what "I'm" looking for in features and function it offers.

As a side note I'm not a pro nor do I have extensive use of fishing electronics under my belt, just enough to have an opinion  ;)

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 11, 2013, 05:19 PM »
I sure hope Marcums paying you more than that!

I dont get paid by anyone but my boss for building houses... I dont want to be on staff for anyone all my choices are based on what I spent my money on... As for the lines, the finer the line the more detail you see, Say vex reperesents 1/2" mark, the same would be 1/8" on a LX series, as for the target adjust on the 6/7/9 thats for fine tuning your bait without having to turn up gain.... Unless you have used both side by side more than 5 minutes you have no idea what you are talking about and cant fathom the difference.... I have no problems you spend more on a Vex for less, it's your money to piss away....Now ask guys who have owned both and used both side by side and most will say similar to me....Some though just dont understand anything other than the thick fuzzy blobby lines of the Vex....Sorry to break it to you Vex guys but Vex is at best playing 3rd fiddle if not tied for 4th fiddle among the current ice electronics makers....They were great in the 80-90 and even into the early 2000's but others have raised the bar and Vex hasnt made an effort to catch up let alone try taking the lead again...Again I could care less what you own I'm bored and you vex guys are fun to play with, almost as fun as a Liberal....Oh and 1 more reason I chose to switch to Marcum from Vex was the Marcums are made in the USA not imported...

Offline gillkilla

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:04 PM »
I love a good debate but this one went south in a hurry.  Buy what you can afford!! Any flasher is going to make time on the ice more productive.  Target Sep is really not an issue.  If the fish rises to your offering and your working what ya got, good things are going to happen.  Have fun, be safe!

Kill your limit, but limit your kill!

Offline Grizzly1

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #21 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:17 PM »
Again I could care less what you own I'm bored and you vex guys are fun to play with, almost as fun as a Liberal....

Trollette shows her true colors  ;)

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #22 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:21 PM »
Trollette shows her true colors  ;)

And grizzlette shows hers.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:25 PM »
You know nothing about who I am, like I  said use what you want but dont say yours is best without having used the other...I don't care what you or anyone thinks of me, you don't count in my life....I stand by what I say and will prove it to anyone who puts their unit next to mine, so far after 5 years not 1 taker...

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:49 PM »
I switched to MarCum this year to get a better display, The vex shows your bait as a blob in shallow water and the low power does nothing to help that....The lx has all the control in the gain knob and no need for the lp mode... Separation is also far better with the crisp lines no blob school of fish you can target individual fish. When I got the lx5 I went from switching models of all the vex units cause they were all the same display to the one I will be keeping for a long time. You should try one out if you havent yet. Drop your jig to the bottom on the lx5 with zoom on and lift your jig slightly off the bottom it will be about 1/2" to 3/4" you will see your jig. On all the vex units I had there was a dead zone of at least 6" YOu could see it in the bottom as a flicker but not your jig... With this unit nothing sneaks by on the bottom.  I have looked into the showdown units also and they have a target separation of 1/2" just like the lx7. get what you want but check out these units on the ice before you buy. You will see exactly what display is best for you.  Not everyone likes the thiner lines on a marcum my buddy likes the vex lines better cause of his eyes....
Fishin red lines

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:54 PM »
You know nothing about who I am, like I  said use what you want but dont say yours is best without having used the other...I don't care what you or anyone thinks of me, you don't count in my life....I stand by what I say and will prove it to anyone who puts their unit next to mine, so far after 5 years not 1 taker...

So your saying nobody will compare their unit with your unit?   :o :o :o

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Feb 11, 2013, 06:59 PM »
This unit has a 2 3/4" separation, You want to see the difference in the marcum and vex? 1 target on the marcum is one fish..1 target on the vex can be 2 fish over lapping. How is this better separation? I have never had 2 fish as 1 target on my lx5
Fishin red lines

Offline ddlpole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #27 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:02 PM »
Hamms, if I recall from another thread, your LX 5 is broke?  What kind of separation does a non working unit get?

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:39 PM »
Hamms, if I recall from another thread, your LX 5 is broke?  What kind of separation does a non working unit get?
Running fine  ;D . Had a issue with the bottom jumping . They sent me a new head unit and it is awesome once again. I think there service is great as I just switched to them this season. I will never switch back. I love the detail you get from this unit and no low power to mess with. 2 different ends of the flasher world 400w to 2500w Never thought there would be much of a difference and there is. I fished a brush pile the other day and pulled fish from that in between the branches very clear.  ;) Happy with it.
Fishin red lines

Offline lightningz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:41 PM »
I sure am glad that this informative post turned into a "Mine is better than yours" debate.

If I could ask a silly question. Just how do you know that the mark on the unit is 1 or 2 fish? Is this your interpretation or are you actually able to confirm that statement?

Since the conception of the flasher unit it has always been the readers interpretation of the signal. Before the multicolor units came out it was the width of the signal on the screen that had to be interpreted as far as size goes. The 3 color units that are used today take a little of the interpretation out of it , but the basics are still there. Unless you have a camera down to actually see the fish than knowing exactly what your seeing is nothing more than an educated guess. Even with a camera down under the ice you don't know if the signal that you're reading is what the camera is showing.   

Most of the posts on here about these subjects are nothing more than someones opinion and without any scientific data to back them up.

The funny thing about it all is that the guy that uses the Lowrance Little Green Box that was made in the sixties can tell you the same as the guy that uses either top of the line units made today.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.