Author Topic: Snow Story for IS flatlanders!!  (Read 2257 times)

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Snow Story for IS flatlanders!!
« on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:10 AM »
 Why is it that the BIG STORM is always BIG because it effect those below the mountains??    I've now heard reference to the storm of 1978 which was actually a little less severe than the storm of 2003.   It was a long time ago but when moved from the coast to the NH White Mountains in January of 1969 I was welcomed with a 2' storm my first night.  That storm was followed by another 2' the next night.
Keep in mind that my job required that I spend most of the winter on snow shoes >:(   By the end of winter we had accumulated nearly 7' of snow in the north country.  As I remeber it COOS country had even more.   The following winter 1970 was only slightly better.   NH lost nearly half of its deer herd during that time.   

We ice fished during both winters using snow shoes and toboggans and making holes with chisels or one of the newfangled spoon augers.
We used canvas wind breaks and a bucket of charcoal to toast sanwiches.   We had a great time but nothing I would want to do now.

So, is it too much to turn off all the wimpy whining.   This is just an old fashioned nor-easter and it should might even improve the fishing.
Drive slowly and get around safetly.  It could be a really exciting event.   We never drove on the ice and I don't think anyone should.
If you don't have snow shoes you should buy a pair.  Don't forget your shovel. 

This is no shocking event.  Remember the Almanac warned us that this would be a snowy winter, now it is ::)

Good luck to Derby fishermen.  I'm going to be on the Conn. River trying for a monster perch or pickerel.   A few years ago my spot produced an 8lb rainbow that is now on my wall.  At least the Sunday forecast is great for the end of the Derby ;)

Good Luck
Dick

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Re: Snow Story for IS flatlanders!!
« Reply #1 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:13 AM »
Its the media, they gotta hype everything and whip everyone into a frenzy.  :P
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Riverat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Our Winter Home on the Lake.
« Reply #2 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:23 AM »
Why is it that the BIG STORM is always BIG because it effect those below the mountains??    I've now heard reference to the storm of 1978 which was actually a little less severe than the storm of 2003.   It was a long time ago but when moved from the coast to the NH White Mountains in January of 1969 I was welcomed with a 2' storm my first night.  That storm was followed by another 2' the next night.
Keep in mind that my job required that I spend most of the winter on snow shoes >:(   By the end of winter we had accumulated nearly 7' of snow in the north country.  As I remeber it COOS country had even more.   The following winter 1970 was only slightly better.   NH lost nearly half of its deer herd during that time.   

We ice fished during both winters using snow shoes and toboggans and making holes with chisels or one of the newfangled spoon augers.
We used canvas wind breaks and a bucket of charcoal to toast sanwiches.   We had a great time but nothing I would want to do now.

So, is it too much to turn off all the wimpy whining.   This is just an old fashioned nor-easter and it should might even improve the fishing.
Drive slowly and get around safetly.  It could be a really exciting event.   We never drove on the ice and I don't think anyone should.
If you don't have snow shoes you should buy a pair.  Don't forget your shovel. 

This is no shocking event.  Remember the Almanac warned us that this would be a snowy winter, now it is ::)

Good luck to Derby fishermen.  I'm going to be on the Conn. River trying for a monster perch or pickerel.   A few years ago my spot produced an 8lb rainbow that is now on my wall.  At least the Sunday forecast is great for the end of the Derby ;)

Good Luck
Dick

I remember that winter! I have made references over the years to that winter several times to my family and friends and very few remembered it. I was starting to think it was my imagination, but you got it right. I also fished those old fashion winters using a chisel and spoon augers, were'nt they the fancy thing back then. And than came the auger blade with the tee-handle, I'll never forget seeing my first power auger around 1970, that was amazing.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 08, 2013, 08:25 AM »
Hi Dick. I remember those spoon augers. Got one for Xmas from my parents in the late 60's. The good ole days. Take a picture of that bow we would love to see it. Good luck on the CT. Any northerns there?

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:00 AM »
Hi Dick. I remember those spoon augers. Got one for Xmas from my parents in the late 60's. The good ole days. Take a picture of that bow we would love to see it. Good luck on the CT. Any northerns there?

I guess this would be my best NH rainbow?  My son is holding it.
Dick

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:02 AM »
Dick

(Image removed from quote.)
Now that is a trout!! I think I'm going to try the river on Sunday, it's supposed to be a nice day and the spot is right on my way home from work (our group works 7 days a week but the weekends are 2-3 hour days). Hopefully tempt some northerns into biting, maybe this storm will stir things up! The river has been a little slow down this way the last couple trips...

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:03 AM »
Dick

looks more like a monster brookie than rainbow?

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:04 AM »

Here is my grandson , at exact same spot, with his biggest brown of last season.
Dick

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:10 AM »
That's one bodacious Bow my friend. Definately a wall hanger. I'm on my way.

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:19 AM »
looks more like a monster brookie than rainbow?

definitely a rainbow and a stud one at that! that is a fish people dream about
I Chase Toothy Critters!!!!

Offline _FLAG_

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Upper Enchanted
« Reply #10 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:41 AM »
Here is my grandson , at exact same spot, with his biggest brown of last season.
Dick

I havethose same exact traps!!! Bought them 15 years ago and have never seen any more of them since...

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #11 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:02 AM »
definitely a rainbow and a stud one at that! that is a fish people dream about

i didn't know rainbows can get dark red/brown in color?

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:05 AM »
oh ya its pretty cool how different each fish can look, this one looks pretty simialr to spawning colors some get real dark and some get real vibrant bands. I would have almost mistaken it for a  fish that has been in the river for a while.

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #13 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:12 AM »
oh ya its pretty cool how different each fish can look, this one looks pretty simialr to spawning colors some get real dark and some get real vibrant bands. I would have almost mistaken it for a  fish that has been in the river for a while.

Yeah when i went pink salmon fishing in Alaska, the males i caught look like this rainbow lol

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:39 AM »
Yup!  Those tipups are my pride and joy.   Got them from an old frenchman near the Maine border.   My son has an identical set but the grandkids had to have polar tipups.  They like to watch the T spin around when there is a fish on. 

Dick

Offline coldsteel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:51 AM »
Yeah when i went pink salmon fishing in Alaska, the males i caught look like this rainbow lol

that must have been a blast!

Offline dennisg34

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Love to fish!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:54 AM »
that must have been a blast!

oh it was! even caught silver salmon too off really fast moving rivers. but probably the COOLEST thing i have ever seen in my ilfe (nature wise) would be watching bald eagles swooping down to a river and catching salmon with their feet

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #17 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:18 PM »
Nicest Nh rainbow I have ever seen through the ice dick! Truly impressive!
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline FishEnticer

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Feb 08, 2013, 04:32 PM »
That's one heck of a rainbow.  I only dream of catching one like that. :)

Offline wautuhguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Feb 08, 2013, 04:44 PM »
Nice fish. I couldn't help but notice the bluebird skies and shortage of snow in both pics. Maybe a stormier photo would have been more appropriate for your headline.  :-\

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Feb 08, 2013, 06:48 PM »
Nice fish. I couldn't help but notice the bluebird skies and shortage of snow in both pics. Maybe a stormier photo would have been more appropriate for your headline.  :-\

Your absolutely right!  But, I've never figured out how to put those special effects on my photos.  That was actually a normal winter but it was a March fish and most of the north country snow was gone. 

Dick

Offline dugmore29

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • New Hampshire Native
« Reply #21 on: Feb 08, 2013, 07:12 PM »
That was a hog of a bow!!!!  Nice dark colors :o  Beautiful brown too!!! :o  Thanks for sharing
\"Since they call it tourist SEASON,why cant we shoot them?\"

Offline ice fisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 09, 2013, 05:12 AM »
looks like a rainbow 2 me see the red on the cheek

Offline Shammy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Feb 09, 2013, 03:25 PM »
Nice Rainbow indeed! Jigged in a cute little lol 14" this morning for myself after shoveling out the bobhouse in North Woodstock early this morning. Fish have been skiddish past few days. Looking at solar calendar looks like tomorrow should be a great day 6:00 a.m. tip time for me. Not Derby Fishing, Just Fishing Baby, Just Fishing !!

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 09, 2013, 04:27 PM »
Nice Rainbow indeed! Jigged in a cute little lol 14" this morning for myself after shoveling out the bobhouse in North Woodstock early this morning. Fish have been skiddish past few days. Looking at solar calendar looks like tomorrow should be a great day 6:00 a.m. tip time for me. Not Derby Fishing, Just Fishing Baby, Just Fishing !!

forecast if for 27 degree sun and light winds!  I'll be on the ice after big breakfast.  I'm registered for the Derby but I don't think I will make the drive to Meredith unless I catch another trophy rainbow or 2 lb yellow perch.  I'm sure I will catch pickerel but trying for a 4 lb.+ fish  is only a fantasy in the north country!!

Driveway is cleared of the 10" fluffy snow and the truck is loaded and ready to go.

Dick

Offline pooley

• Team IceShantyholic
  • It's cold in here!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 09, 2013, 04:33 PM »
 T-7 Custom Rods   OFFICIAL B.BREAKER OF NYRC      i volunteer because your life depends on it! 343

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Feb 09, 2013, 05:22 PM »

Sounds like something out of "A Song of Ice and Fire".   ;)

Seriously though, all of the hype comes from too many people with too little common sense.  Yes, we had many storms like this one, and not all that long ago.  I remember a winter probably 10-11 years ago where we got 33" on Christmas and 34" on New Years where I lived in the Catskills, NY.  Winter storms in the 1-2 foot range were common occurrences.  We could ride snowmobiles over stone walls and fences without even knowing they were there! 

Recently, winters have been much less severe.  These larger storms still happen, but it seems like not as often and there aren't as many small storms in between either.  Without having to deal with winter storms frequently, people seem to forget how to deal with them.  I was amazed at how many people were driving fast on the highway yesterday, with the snow coming down and the roads slippery...just stupid.  Many people are always in a rush, which just doesn't work when driving through poor conditions.  These people are a hazard to themselves and others, and are probably the most dangerous part about the storms these days. 

Just last night, I was trudging through the snow next to the road, walking home from the parking lot where I put my truck for the night so that the plows could do their job.  Some yahoo in an SUV slowed down, which I thought was nice considering that if they went out of control they could have run up onto the sidewalk and run me over.  Before I could even give a wave, they decided to really step on the gas for some unknown reason (other than to be an a$$), and fishtailed away.  All I could really think was:  "Why?".   ???

So it's not really the storm that is dangerous.  It is idiots.  The media picks up on all of the accidents and dangers out there that are caused by idiots. 
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline dickbaker

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 09, 2013, 08:17 PM »
My daughter and her family drove up from southern NH this afternoon.   They had over two feet of snow and found only 10" here.
They reminded me of oct. 2011 when they got two feet and I only had 6"  here in the mountains!!  Maybe God is just being kind to me in my old age??
Warm and sunny tomorrow and I plan to hit the ice bright and early (sometime after 8:00 breakfast) ;D

Dick

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.