Author Topic: February Steelhead off and Running in Salt Creek  (Read 8905 times)

Offline teardrop

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: February Steelhead off and Running in Salt Creek
« Reply #30 on: Feb 10, 2013, 05:04 PM »
Gosh, I want to do that, where can a person get the eggs? Was talking and asking a guy up at New buffalo yesterday at the mouth of the harbor lots of questions about fishing for steelhead, where to get eggs, and probably being a pain in the you-know-where, and he replied what came first the chicken or the egg, I answered the egg, but I guess if I want to get eggs for spawn I  better find a hen!  If this makes any sense to any of you guys that steelhead fish PM me I would sure appreciate the help.  Teardrop (JEFF)

Offline Rybo74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #31 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:33 PM »

Went scouting North of 94 on Salt Creek Saturday afternoon to get ready for my Sunday outing with Macchia182 . Hooked with this nice hen Steelhead floating beemoths and red spikes.  What a great bait combo.  Just started combining them this past week and they work great together.  Got two others on that afternoon, both hit and never stopped or turned, just kept running.  Luckily they broke my line and didn't take the whole spool, or I wouldn't have been there to catch this beauty.  To give you an idea of size, net is 33 inches long dead center. 

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:36 PM »
Very nice RYBO
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline Moose416

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Take What You Need....Leave the Rest for Seed"
« Reply #33 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:41 PM »
Great Fish Ryan !!!! Stay on them !!!

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #34 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:42 PM »
man i should have got my butt out of bed today and went with!!!! was lasy  today and slept in!
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline Rybo74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 10, 2013, 07:59 PM »
Getting the brine ready.  Gonna drop in the fish tonight, and smokeing it this week.  Next outing, we'll be snacking like royalty.  LOVE THAT SMOKED TROUT!

Offline ltlredexpress

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Feb 10, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Nice fish!!! I have to get out there!

Offline Rybo74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 11, 2013, 07:18 PM »
Hitting Salt Creek tomarrow if anybody wants to come out.  Gonna go out around 10ish. Gonna go down to my honey hole.

Offline portageredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:01 PM »
would love to rybo but after my shift at the mill its my turn in the back of the ambulance....are you gettin any salmon or just trout now ???

Offline CustomPro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:05 PM »
Headed up there Saturday! Not sure were the spots to park are. im used to fishing trail creek and twin branch! Was wondering if anyone could give me some info on spots to fish on salt creek?

Offline portageredneck

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:10 PM »
imagination  glen park -public access at 6 and 149-couple more spots further south on 149- and bridge one 130 has roadside parking

Offline Rybo74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:21 PM »
All those spots are great.  Been sighting mostly Steelhead, but Macchia182 got a nice male Coho on Saturday.  Never know what your gonna find in there this time of year.  Browns are becoming more common in the creeks.  Caught a nice one this fall during the coho run.  Love when stuff like that happens.  Keeps you guessing ???

Offline hunting junkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing,,,,A way of life..No hobby
« Reply #42 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:34 PM »
ill be there tomorrow

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 11, 2013, 08:35 PM »
Making your own bait   

If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline muskyjoe

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:41 PM »
See you in the morning Ryan.

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
« Reply #45 on: Feb 11, 2013, 09:56 PM »
See you in the morning Ryan.
Let me know how u do!
I like pics!!!
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline Rybo74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #46 on: Feb 12, 2013, 03:16 PM »

Fished Salt Creek from 10-2.  Got to hang with Musky Joe and Hunting Junkie.  Had a fun time down at the honey hole.  Hooked up with this Jack Steelhead in the first half hour of fishing.  Was still trying to cool off from the walk down.  Got one more to add to my brine pot.  Gonna have a nice mess of smoked trout come this weekend.  Caught this brute on the last of Macchia182's home tied spawn bags.  Couldn't get a hit on the ones I tied up today.  1 fish for the day but it was a DANDY!

Offline macchia182

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #47 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:13 PM »
Nice fish!!   :thumbsup:

They seem to like my homemade spawn sacs.  Looks like I'll have to make some more up. 

Offline graham

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #48 on: Feb 12, 2013, 04:45 PM »
Those are some pretty fish guys.

Offline hunting junkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Feb 12, 2013, 10:02 PM »
I had it rough today...My waders started leaking (both legs) lost my smokes in the woods somewhere, and didnt get a bite...but  it was a good time any way,,,,got to meet a couple of nice guys,...Rybo74 supplied me with a couple of smokes..which he wouldnt take no money for no matter how hard i tryed...but i was fishing anyway.....

Gonna go back in the morning early

Offline Rybo74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #50 on: Feb 12, 2013, 11:22 PM »
Hunting Junkie, I popped a hole in my waders after you left.  Did  it while resting on the tree when I had my boots off while warming my feet.  Started fishing after that and was like ohhhhh.  LOL

Offline CustomPro

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 13, 2013, 05:52 AM »
Thanks for the info!!! Gonna be up there all day Saturday. Nice fish rybo!

Offline ltlredexpress

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:41 AM »
Nice fish guys, good luck out there and hopefuly I can join you guys out there one of these days soon.

Offline hunting junkie

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 13, 2013, 06:00 PM »
Went this morning me and a buddy he hooked up on one bout 7:30...another guy caught two...really kinda limited without waders...stopped at bass pro picked up a new pair after fishing ,,back at it in the early a.m

Offline Rybo74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 13, 2013, 07:18 PM »

Getting ready to put them on the smoker.  Took them out of the honey brine a couple hours ago.  Almost room temp and then the magic happens.  Gonna use sugar maple and hickory.  Gonna be a late night, normally takes 7-8 hours to finish. Hope I bought enough beer. :o

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #55 on: Feb 13, 2013, 09:38 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Getting ready to put them on the smoker.  Took them out of the honey brine a couple hours ago.  Almost room temp and then the magic happens.  Gonna use sugar maple and hickory.  Gonna be a late night, normally takes 7-8 hours to finish. Hope I bought enough beer. :o

Looking good....do you let them sit on the counter long enough for them to get that 'tacky' feeling to the touch before you put them on the smoker?  They say it keeps the fish from drying out.  I have done it both ways (when Fishking83 puts me on them) and don't really see a difference.

Offline Rybo74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #56 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:14 PM »
I just get the to room temp which takes a couple hours, then blott them off.  I have found that keeping them in the brine for 3 days helps the fillets stay moist after smoking and they infuse your flavors way nicer.  Fillets will look "water logged" when they come out of the brine, but they take longer to smoke.  So you get a nice dark, rich crust and moist inside. 

Found this out on accident.  Had fish in the brine for a day and relative got sick.  Spent 2 days at the hospital and smoked the fish on the third day.  It came out way better than usual.  Now I do it every time. Funny how stuff like that happens.  Hope this tip helps. 

Offline wax_worm

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Right out of my ice hole!
« Reply #57 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:24 PM »
I just get the to room temp which takes a couple hours, then blott them off.  I have found that keeping them in the brine for 3 days helps the fillets stay moist after smoking and they infuse your flavors way nicer.  Fillets will look "water logged" when they come out of the brine, but they take longer to smoke.  So you get a nice dark, rich crust and moist inside. 

Found this out on accident.  Had fish in the brine for a day and relative got sick.  Spent 2 days at the hospital and smoked the fish on the third day.  It came out way better than usual.  Now I do it every time. Funny how stuff like that happens.  Hope this tip helps.

Thanks...I have never brined that long.....usually 36 hours or so is what I do.  May have to let the next batch go longer and see if I notice a difference.

Offline laker24taker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #58 on: Feb 13, 2013, 10:46 PM »
I love seeing steelhead pics and love fishing for them... I also know im in ny so doesn't really apply to me.. but I would watch what u say ie.. exact spots to fish.. im not trying to be an a hole but have seen to many great spots get ruined after people post them on the internet
(img)http://i44.tinypic.com/2e5k1s2.jpeg(img)

Offline Rybo74

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #59 on: Feb 13, 2013, 11:30 PM »
Everybody is welcome, even you laker24taker. The spots we are posting are no mystery. In the past 20 years, I've seen less and less people utilizing an awesome resource we have right in our own back yards.  Literally, Salt Creek is in my back yard!   Got a newbie, to trout fishing, on a fish this past week and the expression on his face made my day.  Never met him before that outing and now have a new friend.  Have fished with 4 guys from IS this week and I have had a blast.  Honestly, I would rather catch 1 fish with a buddy than catch 10 by myself.  Just sayin.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.