Author Topic: electronics yes or no?  (Read 4463 times)

Offline iceperch slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: electronics yes or no?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:19 AM »
I mostly target perch. I can see the benefits in some ways. I see it the way some of you do, catch rates going down by watching flasher. I do the same thing if i sight fish, maybe superstition but if i can resist looking down that hole i seem to do better :P im sure in areas that im fishing for the first time, would improve my catch
When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.

Offline 33Canuck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:26 AM »
If you are a tipup fisherman, it really won't do anything for you.
But, if you like to jig, a flasher will do so much for you in helping to see and locate where the fish are faster instead of sitting over the same hole all day with no fish in it. A flasher will make you drill more holes and move around till you can find fish, lol.

I disagree, setting your bait at the right depth under a flag makes a billy fucillo huuuuuuuuge difference, some guys are good doing it without elec. but most are not.  That being said I have a buddy I fish with that has nothing and typically outfishes everyone else that has elec. but elec def add amusement during lull times ;)
The Green Hornet Does it again!
[img width=174 height=80]

Offline wec

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:44 AM »
I would say yes.  I use a Vexilar.  It can help become better at jigging, get to see what excites the fish.

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2013, 07:53 AM »
YES  ;)
ice fishing rules

Offline bigdip

• IceShanty Rookie
  • any beer down there?
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:12 AM »
I think if you can afford all  the electronics by all means get them and try them,at least you'll know what the y can offer you,,,and then its up to you what you want to take out.

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 06, 2013, 08:43 AM »
Oh yeah !!! Looking to move up from my fl-12 to the 22 or the lx7 just havent decided yet

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #36 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:23 AM »
I use my marcum setting all my tipups and jigging.
It takes 1/2 the time to set a tipup to the perfect depth which definitely spares the fingers.
When I'm fishing crappie with tipups. 3" can make all the difference in the world.
A flasher certainly takes a lot of the guess work out of the equation.
It isn't going to make fish bite though. If you spend all your time starring at the pretty colors on the screen. You're not fishing. Not depending on them too much is key.
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #37 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:29 AM »
yea i fished for 15 years without one. and i got my first vex fl8 and i absolutly wont be going without it again! i mostly use it for crappys and lakers. perch r to easy. but they do taste good ;D but if im fishing for big fish i dont think you can beat thr tipups and using your flasher to set traps is THE ONLY WAY TO GO! so much faster and no wet stiff as a board line laying on the ice when your done sounding

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 06, 2013, 09:33 AM »
I can shoot iron sights out to 300 meters...im sure i can catch fish without electronics :D

Oh heeeeerrre we go. Let the "I'm more of a man than you because I don't use gadgets." Arguments begin.

Offline TeeBugg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #39 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:00 AM »
It was meant to be funny not start an argument :D
"Quit whining and go fishing!"

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #40 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:08 AM »
Got my first one this year and it helps alot to what the fish wanna hit and if there are fish down there. I had to fish blin last weekend and after having it such a short time it just felt weird not having it.  Although I still did ice some nice fish with out it :D

Offline prchslyr

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #41 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:11 AM »
Bah! Just a friendly debate is all.
Keep the gloves on and keep it clean ladies.  ;D
The angle of the dangle is directly proportionate to the heat of the beat.
http://i63.tinypic.com/ei5njr.png

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:37 AM »
It was meant to be funny not start an argument :D

Lol... I gotcha buddy. I love sarcasm more than anything.

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #43 on: Feb 06, 2013, 10:38 AM »
This is my first year using a flasher... Definitely would go without but i'd prefer not to!

Offline GitRDone

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #44 on: Feb 06, 2013, 12:28 PM »
I think i could out fish anyone without electronics. To prove it I offer this challenge: you take me to your FAVORITE spot and we go head to head. All challengers welcome. LOL ;D

Offline mikewelch

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #45 on: Feb 06, 2013, 12:46 PM »
i use a marcum love it. lets you know whats going on below or above your lure..

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #46 on: Feb 06, 2013, 12:46 PM »
I think i could out fish anyone without electronics. To prove it I offer this challenge: you take me to your FAVORITE spot and we go head to head. All challengers welcome. LOL ;D

LOLOLOLOLOLOL. 2 keys words in your post.... "I THINK"

Offline iceperch slayer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Feb 06, 2013, 12:49 PM »
.   I like this idea. We should make it a team event. Need a partner :P
When hell freezes over, I'll fish there too.

Offline FrozoneFisher

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #48 on: Feb 06, 2013, 01:22 PM »
There nice to find depth faster if looking for a break line or pocket on a flat but i dont feel like they help catch fish unless there suspended crappies

Offline Stryder444

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Just a man and his ice rod (& hut, aug, vex, quad)
« Reply #49 on: Feb 06, 2013, 01:23 PM »
Hello Gents, new to this site but I had to chime in on this one.

3 years ago I was the guy making fun of the people using electronics, and I was brutal.  I grew up learning to fish from my grandfather and that is as old school as you can get.  I also could outfish many of the guys with electronics.  After seeing my friends use them I finally broke down and bought a Vexilar FL-20 for several reasons.

1.  You can instantly find out what depth you are in.
2.  You can see whether it is hard bottom, vegetation, etc. (Makes finding edge of weedbed easier)
3.  You know exactly where your jigs are.  (sometimes 1 foot in height makes a huge difference for the bite.  Also really light lines and small jigs are hard to judge bottom.)
4.  You can see depth which fish are and adjust quickly and accurately.  ( I've picked up a lot of nice slabs seeing them 5 feet above my bait and moving it exactly to where they are.)
5.  You can improve presentation.  ( Is it my presentation or lack of fish?  When I can see the fish on the monitor, i know i'm doing it in front of them and can change color, size, etc. if not working.)

Do I need one?  No.  Would I fish without it now?  Not if I have a choice.  I am one of the weekend warriors who have to put in my 9-5 every week and pray the lake gods give me enough ice on the weekends I can take off.  With that short of a window, I would like to have any help I can to be onto the fish.  I now look at a contour map, figure out roughly where I want to be, then drill a bunch of holes and mark the depths to know exactly where I am and each time look for fish.  Normally when I find them I can move to similar locations and do well.  I would guess that I catch 3 times the fish I used too.  Maybe more.

Suggestions:

1.  Talk to a guy on the ice who has one to show you how to use it.  Most guys out there are glad to help.  See what you are going to drop $300 - $600 on before you do.
2.  I would by a lower end Vexilar  FL-8 or FL-12 to start.  I have the 20 and only really use the stuff my buddy with the 12 does.  For the extra $200, buy the cheaper one.
3.  You can always upgrade later, Vexilars don't last long on Craigslist. 
3.  I would skip the camera, my friend has one and that is alot to lug around for how much it helps.  Yes it's neat to see, for the first 10 minutes, now it sits in the garage.

Hope this helps and good luck.
If my advice sounds good, you probably need more practice.

Offline gonephishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Feb 06, 2013, 01:24 PM »
There nice to find depth faster if looking for a break line or pocket on a flat but i dont feel like they help catch fish unless there suspended crappies

So what you're saying is that they help catch fish. Hahahah!

Offline rugermag

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #51 on: Feb 06, 2013, 01:35 PM »
Absolutely!! Only way to fly!

Offline reeleyz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 06, 2013, 01:37 PM »
Run-and-gun is one way to find fish. Flasher is another. Imagine combining the best of both worlds :) I can't jig any more without my Vexilar.  you are missing sooooooooooooooooo much without one.

Exactly!  Run and gun with a fish finder/flasher is the fastest way to find fish period.

Offline Murph20

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #53 on: Feb 06, 2013, 01:49 PM »
Flashers are game-changers. You can see so much more of whats going on. It can tell you what mood the fish are in, it can help you tailor your presentation, it gets the current (video game) generation of our kids interested...I can go on...

It's just a different way to go. But I promise, once you use it, you will never go back. So use caution before crossing over to the "DARK SIDE"!!!

X2

Offline regaffed

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #54 on: Feb 06, 2013, 02:22 PM »
never,go old school!think they should be outlawed.why dont we start putting transmitters on fish?

Offline uglystickjake

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Got ice ?
« Reply #55 on: Feb 06, 2013, 02:53 PM »
with the vex ...  sounding the hole is non existant anymore .. get the bait just above the weeds flawlessly any time ... so it is valueable for tip up fisherman too ... way i look at it is .. if its in the arsenal why not use it for what its worth ... pretty cool seeing those red flashes come up in over 100 feet of water ....
*REMOVED*

Offline FishWiz

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #56 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:30 PM »
Hey i just got a marcum lx 3 the other day and i am having a hard time telling if theirs a fish sitting on the bottom  its red  but sometimes theirs a little green  or yellow line right on the bottom ... is that a fish ??? or just bottom

Offline KgBnY315

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:38 PM »
Vexilar = population control  :icefish: :icefish: :clap:

Offline Knoodles

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:42 PM »
I was the first to buy one in my group 10 years ago and needless to say they all have one now.  They didn't buy one because I was sitting there not catching fish.  Set up in the shanty and I was catching 5:1 easy.  There are a very few occasions I have been out fished by someone going blind.  This was a result of fishing cribs and their hole was perfectly placed on the side of the crib and I was a few feet off.  I will never fish without a flasher again.  But like others said there is not much of an advantage if you are simply fishing tip-ups. 

Offline ejp419

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #59 on: Feb 06, 2013, 06:51 PM »
God's honest I usually outfish my buddies who have them, but this is on a local lake where there's plenty of fish and I know it well. If you know the holes on a small lake then there's no need. Am I getting one? Hell yeah! If you're fishing a big lake, where there's plenty of room for error, and you're not so familiar with it they are the only way to go. I plan on taking a few trips to Onieda, Saratoga, Sacandaga, and Champlain. These things find fish.... ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.