New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Stocking trout ny  (Read 1932 times)

Offline NY_trout_nut

• IceShanty Rookie
Stocking trout ny
« on: Jan 31, 2013, 10:58 PM »
The last 2 years ny cut the number of trout they are stocking >:(if u have been keeping record of it the past 10 years just wondering how people fell about this

Offline adksguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Stocking trout ny
« Reply #1 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:07 PM »
Pretty crappy consideringthey never think about decreases when it comes to licence prices
good ice, good buds, and good times that's what it's all about!!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Length 47 3/4 " Girth 24" NY Northern Pike
« Reply #2 on: Jan 31, 2013, 11:55 PM »
My gripe is the trout regs, ive written them emailed them called them etc etc.... Drives me nuts when the stocking truck pulls up and 15 guys jump in the stream and fish for them after... Its just moronic...  Then you have a reg in place 5 trout any size..Its dumb, i can see letting it fly on put and take water with low holdover but i see it happen on a natural reproduction high holdover stream, The stream is Oriskany creek, its a gem, and if they put a slot limit or even try stocking 2-3 weeks before the season opens i think they would create an even better trout water...

I use this as an example because its in my back yard, but i see it go on in other potential gems also...

I agree its sad to stocking numbers drop and license fees rise,  but it makes you scratch your head when the same moronic unsportsmanlike practices are allowed to fly, when there are such easy ways to eliminate a fishing out of a barrel atmosphere...
TeamNumbnutts on youtube ... Subscribe !
https://m.youtube.com/results?q=teamnumbnutts&sm=3

Offline Gill Ripper I

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:09 AM »
I fish Nine Mile Creek in Marcellus. Have witnessed the stocking and guys diving on them like sea gulls. a great place to fish in May and early June. Wide open in spots for the fly fishermen and a lot of great deep holes. Does make you wonder with the regs and shortage of stockings, with no problem raising the price of a license.
Ninety percent of fishing is half mental :)

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:25 AM »
it should be pointed out that the stocking wasnt reduded by plan but because a lot of stock was lost due to some disease issues at some of the hatcherys most notably rome.  look at the DEC annual report to see more details
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline adksguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:05 AM »
That is partially true but for years they have been cutting back in backwoods lakes in adks because they stock a lot of those by plane and were complaining about fuel prices well join the club nys but it also urks me when u hear of how they fly in to stock and miss the lake or pond and dump everything on a shore line  :(
good ice, good buds, and good times that's what it's all about!!

Offline hesseltine32

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Yelling at the fish on my screen
« Reply #6 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:44 AM »
Won't affect me most streams and rivers I fish are not stocked I fish manly native brook trout. And can go out and have a 100 trout day during the hot time around Father's Day.

Offline Jaycr3183

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:48 AM »
This is the exact reason I fish massachussetts. Their stocking program BLOWS NYS OUTTA THE WATER!!!!!!!! No tjust for trout, all species.

Offline hunts2long

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:52 AM »
Those are NOT fishermen that fish behind the stocking truck....hunts2long
Northville, NY

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:55 AM »
Happens at Oatka creek too ...................... ..just crazy and the dudes act like they are REAL fisherman !!
ice fishing rules

Offline OTIS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:48 AM »
I grew up trout fishing Madison County.  It has some of the best trout waters in NY.  Up until last year I hadn't trout fished since my grandfather passed away in 1996.  I took my daughter our on opening weekend 2012 and we hit some of my old haunts.  It just so happened that we came upon a hole that was recently stocked.  I must say that she had a really great time, and we made some great memories.  We took home 9 trout and released the rest.  There were quite a few individuals coming and going at this one location, however the majorities were children (with and without a parent) and senior citizens.  Not everyone was catching fish one after the other, it took a little playing around to figure out what they wanted and how they wanted it.  The following weekend we took my daughter’s friend who had never been fishing before to another location on the same creek.  This hole had also been stocked at the same time as the previous one.  There were still quite a few trout available, and there was no one else fishing the entire two hours we were there.  Once again, it took a little playing around but once we figured them out, the girls (both 11) were able to catch fish on their own and I was once again the bait man.  Both of these outings made lasting memories for these girls, and a great time was had by all.  So I’d have to say that I’m guilty as charged, and we’ll most likely be doing it again this season.  For the first time in over 15 years I’m looking forward to trout season again.
Follow the bubbles...

Offline Gill Ripper I

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:23 AM »
Otis, your fine. Big difference in what you and  your family did and will do. Have fun!  :)
Ninety percent of fishing is half mental :)

Offline fishit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:23 AM »
Treat all trout like what they are...FISH...Not gold bars and this entire put & take or catch and release discussion will mean nothing...

I love to hear about somebody having the day of their lives out on a stream because they fell into some hungry freshly stocked trout...

I despise the people that had a great day today kept as many as they wanted and then complain that they went back and they were all gone...Really?

.. Go away or I shall taunt you a second time...

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #13 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:08 AM »
here's the problem with NY.   They stock so few bigger fish, and they stopped stocking in the fall.

At least 50% of trout stocking in creeks that sustain trout should be done in the fall.  Let those fish acclimate to the water, and adapt.  They will live longer, be less susceptible to angling and predation, and will live longer, increasing both the average fish size, and the total number of fish in the waters.

I must say, its a genuine treat to fish Vermont and Massachusetts waters where they stock bigger trout.  I will take a 22" holdover over a 14" holdover every single time.

Offline perryt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:18 AM »
X2
ice fishing rules

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #15 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:01 PM »
Well, New York state is a poorly run state. Our politicians spend money we don`t have. Public sector jobs are killing the new york state tax payer. New York city drags the rest of the state into the toilet. No money for hatcherys. I`m surprised we still have hatcherys open.
Master Laker taker.

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:17 PM »
Well, New York state is a poorly run state. Our politicians spend money we don`t have. Public sector jobs are killing the new york state tax payer. New York city drags the rest of the state into the toilet. No money for hatcherys. I`m surprised we still have hatcherys open.

All thats true except for the NYC thing, trust me i hate to admit it.. But a good chuck of NYC state tax collection ends up in cny,wny etc etc... more people pay state tax in NYC than the rest of the state combined..

Offline mike304

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:34 PM »
Yea, what he said!!!!
A Government big enough to do anything for us is powerful enough to do anything to us!!!
All That Is Needed For Evil To Succeed Is For Good Men To Do Nothing!
Life is Tough, Its even tougher if you're Stupid!!

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Sad but true. But I like how they come up with funds to keep buying more land.

Offline dave_p.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #19 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:38 PM »
The stram trout fishing has been terrible for 10 years in western NY. Whether steelhead, or small stream trout. A lot of small trout streams are no longer being stocked. For steelhead it seem a lot less fish in the runs. In the spring supposedly the steelhead were in I tried 4 different streams, and saw 1. Pathetic!! Some of those same streams in 2001 I caught up to 10 fish in an hour.

Offline IFISHY

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • who cares if it rains the fish are already wet
« Reply #20 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:09 PM »
yes nys has a habit of running poor budgets and wasting money but think about the number of different lakes and streams that are stocked its not like there is one or two there are 100s and as much as some may be in a bad spell there are many that are on a recent high.  I fish Lake O and the fingers and there is definatly some good management going on there I know the daks are different but if you think an area is over fished than go find a new one its new york there is probably 10 options within an hours drive.  as for fishing behind the stocking truck remember there license fees help stock those streams if only "real" fisherman were allowed to fish than there would be half as much stocking and it would all be done in large rivers and near population centers.  Also at least for lake o they do stock in the fall i believe they do in other lakes as well again go to dec site and look around they do a lot more than they get credit for.
get the kids fishing its more fun that way

Offline robgrow14u

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:17 AM »
I fish Irondequoit creek mainly in Powder Mill Park in Victor, N.Y. They have always done a great deal of stocking there and close the park off to fishing the day they stock. This hatchery has been in the park and has stocked the creek for as long as I can remember and hope that it continues.

Offline deadseadiehard

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #22 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:33 AM »
I think with all the restraints the dec has incurred they do a great job!  We need the state to stop raiding the funds from license fees we would be much better off.

Offline bluemountainlaker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • my fish was bigger than yours
« Reply #23 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:50 AM »
 Check out the salmon river thread on mff. there killing them out there with 10-20 fish day!

Offline froggers dad

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:55 AM »
would love to catch a trout through the ice

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #25 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:58 AM »
would love to catch a trout through the ice

So go do it...  Its not that hard and there are a lot of lakes open for trout in the winter..
And welcome to the site... ;D
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline RIVERRAT2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • try to fish over 200 days a year,have cut back now
« Reply #26 on: Feb 02, 2013, 12:46 PM »
my point of view,i think the D.E.C is on the right tract with the heritage strain brookies
put them in once and let them do there thing,and it is WORKING,i do not li ke "PUT and take
trout"you have about 10 strains of brookies that WE have not changed,most brookies stocked
now are a temiscamie x crown point cross[we made them because it fit our needs,but they like
the hatchery better then the pond,and will not stay where they are put.we now have ponds
with [in my opinion]have 6lb.brookies in them,BUT you have to work for them.
I donot think I will C/R one of each of them,but I will try
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT 
I LOVE FISHING.IT IS A FULLTIME JOB

Offline Shawn.H

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Yahhh
« Reply #27 on: Feb 02, 2013, 01:09 PM »
Id like to see more native trout then the stockies IMO
Your Drag!

Offline deadsmelthead

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Feb 02, 2013, 01:13 PM »
my point of view,i think the D.E.C is on the right tract with the heritage strain brookies
put them in once and let them do there thing,and it is WORKING,i do not li ke "PUT and take
trout"you have about 10 strains of brookies that WE have not changed,most brookies stocked
now are a temiscamie x crown point cross[we made them because it fit our needs,but they like
the hatchery better then the pond,and will not stay where they are put.we now have ponds
with [in my opinion]have 6lb.brookies in them,BUT you have to work for them.
I donot think I will C/R one of each of them,but I will try
 ;D ;D ;D
RAT

I agree, definitely gonna see the record fall a few more times before a tough one to beat gets put in..

Put and take waters have their place, mostly for younger kids to get into fishing... The state knows what fisheries are put and take..They know which fisheries have good holdovers and support natural reproduction, i just think they should protect those waters more.

Honestly,  look at bass, they have to be the most protected species around...  They don't even have to stock them, their open season is 3 months shorter and has a minimum size....
Its a joke...

Trout season is 3 months longer, and there is no minimum size...And these are the fish the state raises and pays for..

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
« Reply #29 on: Feb 02, 2013, 06:16 PM »
The problem is the people who wait for the stock trucks and fish as soon as they dump them out.  Dumping them in march or late fall would help a lot.  And the fish will be much larger if dumped in the fall. Ive heard that they didnt stock big pond last year and I spent one night out there with nothing but a pickeral and two bass between two guys.  And nobody else is getting any either.  Pretty crappy fishing for about  15 hours on ice.  And the salmon river would be a good fishery with just natural fish and no stocking.  The majority of this years huge run was mainly natural fish from what ive seen.  Hopefully the steelhead season looks the same :)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.