The ice fishing Michigan board sponsored by:

Sponsor this board

Author Topic: Anyone use the Gulp Minnows for ice fishing?  (Read 2834 times)

Offline steve339

• Team IceShanty Regular
Anyone use the Gulp Minnows for ice fishing?
« on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:13 PM »
Anyone have any luck with the Gulp! Minnows?  3" or 1"?  Better or worse than real minnows?  Saw some at Meijer and was curious.

Offline pikemaster789

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Anyone use the Gulp Minnows for ice fishing?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 29, 2013, 10:27 PM »
Well I just got into using Gulp minnows and love them for summer fishing. I only have the 3" at this point. My dad likes to try plastics now and then and on our most recent trip out he was gun ho on using them. He used the minnows and would have fish come up and look at it. We are talking gills and crappie here. Sometimes the crappies would take a swing at them but there was no comparison to when I dropped my live minnow down next to it and the crappies would inhale the live bait in a flash. With that being said for crappies id go livebait if given the chance again. I would have some interest in trying the 1" though

In other thoughts, during our rough season last year I was fishing open water in jan and feb on canals in lake st clair. I was using a 1" minnow similar to Gulp but not quite gulp. Was throwing that on a jig head. Some days it was a winner for perch and other days it had to be live bait or nothing.

I would be really interested to see how the guys do with it up in saginaw for walleye and of course im sure if fishing for pike they would kill it but theres not much pike wont hit when it bounces around and looks like a fish.

Definitely would give it a shot in your waters. At the very least I can say its a great summer bait for bass and crappie
                      The official Padwan Shirt of the MIRC    MIRC! iced out!

Offline threewack

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:15 AM »
I had very good luck with the one inch for crappie and bluegill I used a gold tiny jig head the kind they sell at the fly shops one tenth oz I think.
The minnow doesn't last to long when they pounded the snot out of it but it was fun to catch fish with.The minnow I used was the berkley 400x more sent, one inch from bass pro,it just looked like it would work and it did for me.I also cut a sliver off the head of it because I read that it releases more sent that way.

Offline thehackleguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 30, 2013, 11:27 AM »
I just bought some gulp fry to try the other day......if we ever get the ice back I'll let you know how they do. :-\

Offline kentg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 30, 2013, 01:03 PM »
I've used the pink gulp waxies as a backup for two years for both ice fishing and open water fishing. When the fish are biting, they have worked as good as live bait. When you're on a good bite, you don't have to rebait as often.

Offline swisscheez

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • there is no such thing as to many holes:)
« Reply #5 on: Jan 30, 2013, 02:31 PM »
1 inch luma glow fish fry kills the crappie or impulse mayfly is another nice choice...i hardly use live bait....
Feels so nice doing it through the ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.