The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Nils not cutting right.  (Read 11692 times)

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Nils not cutting right.
« Reply #90 on: Feb 01, 2013, 04:50 PM »
I sent mine into fish307 so hopefully ill have them back next week. Till then its back to the 6" Nils

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #91 on: Feb 01, 2013, 05:32 PM »
From my observation,  Nils does not have an issue with quality control.   I new blade will look like its been painted over chipped paint.
If you get a blade back from me and the blade was bent you'll see bare metal where the paint flaked off from being reshaped.   I don't like any blades spending the night waiting for paint to dry so it is rare I'd paint one.  Why they come like that new would be a guess on my part but I'd have to think the blade was painted and fine tuned after.

Most new blades gone dull that I see aren't from being abused.   It is what would seem like sand on the ice.  If that sand if fine enough to get blown onto the ice chances are your not going to see it.   
 I know its frustrating to take out a expensive,  shiny new piece of equipment and have it not work after one hole.   You can't blame Nils because of it nor am I'm not going to offend the user and suggest its their fault.    Stuff happens and you drilled in a bad spot that dulled the blade.    What happens is the sand creates a burr on the bottom of the blade.  The blade is still sharp enough to slice your finger off but won't cut a hole. The blade isn't designed to slice, it has to shave the ice.    If you drag your finger nail along the length of the edge it should be smooth.  If there are burrs you'll feel them.    If there was a way for you to do a quick fix I'd tell.  You could try the StrikeMaster sharpener.  This looks like a knife sharpen but it has one cutting edge instead of two. The cutting edge would situated to take material off the top(beveled side) of the blade. If you put a bevel on the bottom you've just taken years of service off the blade if not ruined it for good.  That bevel would be ground off giving the bottom a flat side again. You can only do this so much till the blade is no good.
   I live in Northern MN surrounded by forest so blowing dirt and sand isn't a problem. My blades will cut 1000s of holes and I also use my Nils to open old holes in my perm. 
 One benefit of a Nils blade that hasn't been mentioned is the head is the mount and blades and can be reshaped.  Any other brand auger with a bent mount would require you to bring in the auger to a service center which are getting more scarce.
 My number and email have been posted and I'm happy to answer any questions or talk Nils.

Frank
  Thanks Frank.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #92 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:34 PM »
Thanks for the info Frank.

Sand and grit from snowmobiles can also embed sand into the ice where you wouldn't expect it.

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #93 on: Feb 01, 2013, 06:58 PM »
I assume the edge gets rolled up when the auger won't cut. Could a person use a leather wheel on a dremil tool to get it to cut again. You would be just polishing the edge to get the burr out. Not sure but its a thought. I have 2 the 4.5(2yrs) and 8(4yrs) I have not had to have them sharpened yet.

Offline MT-Ed

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Feb 01, 2013, 07:55 PM »
I can appreciate that wind blown sand/dirt could dull a blade. I'd sure like to know how I could drill 3 holes with absolutely no problem, go home, come  back the very next day, attempt to drill new holes just inches from the ones the day before, and nothing!!! It just skittered about, it didn't slow down to nothing, it just stopped cutting!! I also find that after using my mora for 26 yrs. drilling the very same bodies of water, I've only changed the blades 1x (and that's because I thought I could keep the blades sharp by swiping them on a sharpening steel- don't do it- they won't cut at all then), and NEVER had it poop out like the nils did???? Can it be that there is SO much sand/dirt being blown over so many varied parts of the country crapping out the NEW nils? Why aren't we hearing from the guys that have "older" augers???? Why aren't they coming on here to share how their OLDER units are crapping out...drilling the very same bodies of water us new owners are??? I respect Frank's professional evaluation, but if Nils isn't having quality control problems, I'd like to hear from Nils owners that DID NOT just purchase one this year, and have them share IF their units are dull after cutting just a couple holes.......please.... ..it would go a long ways towards waylaying those of us that are feeling really burnt for having units that APPEAR to be of inferior quality.

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #95 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:08 PM »
I can appreciate that wind blown sand/dirt could dull a blade. I'd sure like to know how I could drill 3 holes with absolutely no problem, go home, come  back the very next day, attempt to drill new holes just inches from the ones the day before, and nothing!!! It just skittered about, it didn't slow down to nothing, it just stopped cutting!! I also find that after using my mora for 26 yrs. drilling the very same bodies of water, I've only changed the blades 1x (and that's because I thought I could keep the blades sharp by swiping them on a sharpening steel- don't do it- they won't cut at all then), and NEVER had it poop out like the nils did???? Can it be that there is SO much sand/dirt being blown over so many varied parts of the country crapping out the NEW nils? Why aren't we hearing from the guys that have "older" augers???? Why aren't they coming on here to share how their OLDER units are crapping out...drilling the very same bodies of water us new owners are??? I respect Frank's professional evaluation, but if Nils isn't having quality control problems, I'd like to hear from Nils owners that DID NOT just purchase one this year, and have them share IF their units are dull after cutting just a couple holes.......please.... ..it would go a long ways towards waylaying those of us that are feeling really burnt for having units that APPEAR to be of inferior quality.

x2

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline Gambler

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #96 on: Feb 01, 2013, 08:43 PM »
3rd year with a nils 6" and it still cuts fine. I have had the blade ice up and quit cutting but that was kind of my fault. I stuck the head into powdery snow when it was wet. I just stuck the head into the water and melted the ice and right back to cutting.
Take Care and God Bless
Rick

Offline Sharp Nils

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Feb 01, 2013, 09:28 PM »
slekeith,  you could try a leather wheel with compound on the bevel if you have a very fine burr.    Keep doing that till the burr wipes away with a rag.
  At no time use the wheel on the flat side.
The SM sharpener I mentioned earlier,  you'll want to make very light strokes.
You might get lucky enough to grind out a hole with one of the above but it is unlikely and most blades I get have too much damage to even try one of those choices.

Frank DeLuca

[email protected]

Offline hntrboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #98 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:13 PM »
bla bla bla nils.........and the economy is booming.

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Feb 01, 2013, 10:39 PM »
bla bla bla nils.........and the economy is booming.

but they are the best.

:roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline Codywojo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:06 PM »
My blades are dull right now, and I have the same issue, but when I tap it on the ice to remove the built up ice and then lean on it, I make it through ok. Then again, it was 55 here Wednesday, so that may not work when we get over 8 inches

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #101 on: Feb 01, 2013, 11:40 PM »
Mine is cutting great so far, but I share the same sentiment regarding the paint job on the cutting head.  It looks like paint was chipped off then repainted in spots.  I sent an email off to Nils and the outfit I bought it through, here are both responses:

From Nils

HI Jeff,
Rest assured you actually received a Made in Finland handcrafted cutting head. Cutting head is heated, shaped, welded, painted, sharpened and finished by hand. 
Due to this processes it will have at least 2-3 layers of red paint on it and possibly some minor tool marks under the paint that have no effect on how easy the auger will cut into ice.

Brgds,

JP

From RedRock Wilderness:
Hi,
They are new and the all look rough, they are hand made and they do not spend a lot of time making them look pretty. We sell only new ones.

Jackie

- redrockwilderness

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:56 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Auger Quality?? Did I buy a re-manufactured/reconditioned?

Last week I received an Nils 6" hand auger that I ordered through Red Rock Wilderness.  When I received the auger I was surprised to see that the cutting head seemed to have been re-painted, as it has what looks like an area that the paint chipped off, then painted over.  Is this how a cutting head would be sent out on a brand new auger or does this seem like I bought a "re-manufactured" auger?  I'm a bit disappointed in this.

"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #102 on: Feb 02, 2013, 07:52 AM »
My blades are dull right now, and I have the same issue, but when I tap it on the ice to remove the built up ice and then lean on it, I make it through ok. Then again, it was 55 here Wednesday, so that may not work when we get over 8 inches

2 reasons your going to ruin the blade.... If you need to put pressure on it then it is dull adding more pressure will not help... Do not bang it on the ice, this applies to any auger...

Trooper Bri

« Reply #103 on: Feb 02, 2013, 08:10 AM »
Nils just aren't for everyone I guess. I own 2 and many of my friends own them. We get years of use before needing to sharpen them.

Offline slekeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #104 on: Feb 02, 2013, 05:58 PM »
slekeith,  you could try a leather wheel with compound on the bevel if you have a very fine burr.    Keep doing that till the burr wipes away with a rag.
  At no time use the wheel on the flat side.
The SM sharpener I mentioned earlier,  you'll want to make very light strokes.
You might get lucky enough to grind out a hole with one of the above but it is unlikely and most blades I get have too much damage to even try one of those choices.
Thanks Frank    I was just wondering if it would work. I personally would just send mine in if it didn't cut. But so far mine are both cutting great.  Again Thanks

Offline perchpounder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never give up.-Mike Iaconelli
« Reply #105 on: Feb 02, 2013, 10:06 PM »
Honestly I feel as though if you bought the auger before this year I think you won't have problems but it seems the recent purchases aren't holding up.

Offline Riffle

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #106 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:30 AM »
I had a chance to visually inspect mine this weekend and I did feel and see a few minute burs (and I mean tiny) near the end of one blade, but other than that I was still able to slice a piece of paper across both blades with ease.

I gave it a test again on the ice making sure there was no ice or forzen slush on the blade and I got down an inch or so forming a bowl like depression with the blades before it just started spinning and shining the ice.

When I look at the blade under a good magnifying glass, I don't see any real problems, it looks pretty damn sharp.

I'm just going to send it out and get it sharpened and see what happens.

I was tempted to try and take one of my ultra fine stones and touch up the end, but decided I better not.

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #107 on: Feb 04, 2013, 10:30 AM »
Mine is cutting great so far, but I share the same sentiment regarding the paint job on the cutting head.  It looks like paint was chipped off then repainted in spots.  I sent an email off to Nils and the outfit I bought it through, here are both responses:

From Nils

HI Jeff,
Rest assured you actually received a Made in Finland handcrafted cutting head. Cutting head is heated, shaped, welded, painted, sharpened and finished by hand. 
Due to this processes it will have at least 2-3 layers of red paint on it and possibly some minor tool marks under the paint that have no effect on how easy the auger will cut into ice.

Brgds,

JP

From RedRock Wilderness:
Hi,
They are new and the all look rough, they are hand made and they do not spend a lot of time making them look pretty. We sell only new ones.

Jackie

- redrockwilderness

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Wednesday, January 16, 2013 1:56 PM
To: [email protected]
Subject: Auger Quality?? Did I buy a re-manufactured/reconditioned?

Last week I received an Nils 6" hand auger that I ordered through Red Rock Wilderness.  When I received the auger I was surprised to see that the cutting head seemed to have been re-painted, as it has what looks like an area that the paint chipped off, then painted over.  Is this how a cutting head would be sent out on a brand new auger or does this seem like I bought a "re-manufactured" auger?  I'm a bit disappointed in this.

I received the same exact email word for word from Nils....They are obviously having isssues with the quality and are receiving a significant amount of emails.  The most important thing is I had it out on the ice yesterday and it cut fine.   When did they go to that crappy little blade cover? My buddies has a awesome large circle cover..This new blade cover is horrible and comes off relatively easy....Again, the auger cut well so i am happy with the purchase...I can live with a little banged up looking head and scratches in the handle(new soft plastic handle kinda stinks too actually).....

Offline TrekJeff

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #108 on: Feb 07, 2013, 09:21 PM »
Other than the paint job, which is no big deal, and the cheesy blade cover, this thing cuts like nothing I've used before.  We have 18" of clear ice on the lake I live on.  30 revolutions and I've got a 6" hole to fish out of.  No complaints.  After reading how easy it is to knock these out of alignment, all I can say is that NOONE will use it but me.
"For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #109 on: Feb 08, 2013, 09:28 AM »
I like my new nils, but not blown away compared to my lazer with new blades...the point about the overall shotty condition, was do you really expect a $150 item, not to be in MINT condition in every way.  It also seems like not all the Nils are cutting great! Lots of guys are having issues including a couple guys I talked to last weekend on the ice...  12 turns for 5 inches of ice with the 6 inch nils and 10 turns with the lazer on same ice and same day.  Nils is less effort because you are turning both hands and lazer you're top hand is holding down the auger...I guess my point is I like them both, but now owning both, I could take either one....A few years ago we cut in 28 inches of ice with a 4.5 nils and other then having to scoop out the hole, that was very impressive.  That Nils was also 15 years old and I believe a higher quality auger then the one I received a couple weeks ago.  Just my 2 cents....

Offline perchpounder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never give up.-Mike Iaconelli
« Reply #110 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:06 AM »
Simply I just think they're losing quality.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #111 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:15 AM »
I like my new nils, but not blown away compared to my lazer with new blades...the point about the overall shotty condition, was do you really expect a $150 item, not to be in MINT condition in every way.  It also seems like not all the Nils are cutting great! Lots of guys are having issues including a couple guys I talked to last weekend on the ice...  12 turns for 5 inches of ice with the 6 inch nils and 10 turns with the lazer on same ice and same day.  Nils is less effort because you are turning both hands and lazer you're top hand is holding down the auger...I guess my point is I like them both, but now owning both, I could take either one....A few years ago we cut in 28 inches of ice with a 4.5 nils and other then having to scoop out the hole, that was very impressive.  That Nils was also 15 years old and I believe a higher quality auger then the one I received a couple weeks ago.  Just my 2 cents....

Put the offset handles on the Lazer and it honestly becomes a horse a piece.  The handles really make that much of a difference.

Offline Raatsu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #112 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:19 AM »
Hey perchpounder, just curious how long have been repping for strikemaster and how much are they paying your for your continuous negative comments on NILS.

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #113 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:54 AM »
Hey perchpounder, just curious how long have been repping for strikemaster and how much are they paying your for your continuous negative comments on NILS.

Strikemaster , Jiffy, Eskimo, and Fin bor each pay me. $10,000 every time I say something negative about Nils.  ;D.

Ever think he's frustrated by his purchase. This is the seconds Nils ive owned and I'm very frustrated by the lack of customer service and denials of their US division.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline Raatsu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:04 AM »
I am sorry , I must be missing something here, just because he did not get his way and they did not stroke him, he is on this silly vendetta, is that it?

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #115 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:14 AM »
Well if you thoroughly read the entire thread you would have seen that this is a common occurrence for people buying Nils this year, myself included. To add to our argument, the Nils i purchased  2 seasons ago still cuts like a champ but my new one cut less than a100 holes.

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline Raatsu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #116 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:23 AM »
LOL, I just dulled my second time out new 8" cutting head yesterday by drilling it into at least 12 inches of dirt with full throttle. I seem to be doing more stupid things older I get  ;D
Oh well, my fault not theirs, time to get a hold of Frank again.....But still not a bad day, 5 northerns in 3 hours!

Offline DON-E-ICE

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #117 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:32 AM »
Put the offset handles on the Lazer and it honestly becomes a horse a piece.  The handles really make that much of a difference.

I will hopefully know after this blizzard and I can get out and use it some more...who knows after a few times out I might feel differently...as for now the bottom line for me is they both cut well which is all that mattered.  Nils did offer me a discount on my next cutting head which was gd...

Offline harrops26

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #118 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:32 AM »
Just checked your post. Seems like you're Nils damage control. How much Nils paying you. I hope its as much as all the competitors are paying me.  ::)

Ranger School 03
OIF 06-07
OEF 09-10
ESF 13
Carpenters Local 277

Offline Raatsu

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #119 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:41 AM »
LOL, I wish I was so lucky!
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum