The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 7" strikemaster mora hand auger question?  (Read 2346 times)

Offline Jig4M

• Team IceShanty Addict
7" strikemaster mora hand auger question?
« on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:28 PM »
Some guy gave me a 7" strikemaster mora hand auger about 6 years ago. He didn't like it because it's height is not adjustable. The screw is welded to the crank ans it's about 4 1/2' high. He said it was too high and didn't cut well, you couldn't put enough down force on it. I tried it for the first time two years ago and he was right it didn't cut at all. That's because, you guessed it, it needs new blades. If any of you have used this auger before, can you give me some feedback on it pros or cons? I think if I get new blades it'll cut just fine. 
:icefish:

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: 7" strikemaster mora hand auger question?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2013, 08:37 PM »
I have one my uncle gave me years ago, hasnt seen the ice in about 15 years now.....

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:46 PM »
I'm sure it would cut a lot better with new blades. You shouldnt have to put hardly any down pressure on it, just enough to keep it from rising up when you turn.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline 77tech

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 25, 2013, 10:36 PM »
I have the same auger in an 8 inch.  With sharp  blades it cuts well.  The biggest negatives with mine are it's an eight inch which is a lot more work than using a 6 inch.  I bought a 6 inch Eskimo and the 6 inch is a lot less work than the 8.  The other negative is the that even though it's a two piece auger the only way I can get mine apart after drilling a hole is to clamp the lower portion in a vise.  Otherwise I can never get the top handle unscrewed again.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Jan 25, 2013, 11:49 PM »
You should grease the threads.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 26, 2013, 04:36 PM »
I have 2 of the Mora 7"-8" Augers. One my friend gave me several years ago that cuts great. The other I bought from a Yard sale and have never used it. It came with 2 sets of blades. I sharpened them the other day and I also have one extra set of new 7" blades. I use the one my friend gave me for a back up auger. I bought an Eskimo Z51 4 years ago and it cuts like new using the 8" Bit I bought for it this year. I think next trip out I will take them both out and see how they drill now.
<===Lefty===

Offline HUNTnFISHSD

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Die Hard Fisherman
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2013, 10:09 PM »
 I own that same auger as well as the 7" inch Lazer Hand Auger. They are both great. But back to the Mora it is the most popular hand auger on the market. They blades can dull easy some times but they are fairly easy to sharpen.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.