Author Topic: best one man flup over under 250$  (Read 2175 times)

Offline meier247

• Team IceShanty Addict
best one man flup over under 250$
« on: Jan 22, 2013, 01:19 AM »
Looking for the best one man flipj over for under 250 bucks...leaning towards a clam trapper cause its light i dont want nothing real heavy in everyones opinion whats the best one i dont wanna spend over 250 cauze its just for when i go to the lake...i have two other tents for when im with others...and i dont want a pop up i have one and there a pain in the rear when your by yourself and you got wind..beed opinions and if anyone has one id like your opinion on them and im not a big guy im 5'11 and 165 so dont need something with tons of room either..any help be nice thanks guys

Offline skinnytrucker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Da Buckless Yooper

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: best one man flup over under 250$
« Reply #2 on: Jan 22, 2013, 02:41 AM »
this come to mind . for $189+freight ya it not free shipping they got a sle goin on. on  those clams at gander 25% i think is what it was more for a more pricey one any ways see link..

http://www.gandermountain.com/modperl/product/details.cgi?pdesc=CLAM-Fish-Trap-Kenai-1-Man-Icefishing-Shelter-8391&i=447412&aID=504C9&merchID=4006

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #3 on: Jan 22, 2013, 07:02 AM »
Meier, Get the Trapper, you wont be sorry.

Your not much bigger than me and there is plenty of room. Its nice and light as well, which is what I wanted to stay as mobile as possible.
The weight of the trapper without the included chair was 28 LBS!! (yes i weighed it right out of the box after I assembled it.)

I went light because once you toss all your gear in it, lifting can be real rough with the heavier flip overs.
I have been able to lift mine by myself easily with all my gear (minus the auger) in it.
Official Member of The G.I.T.s, Gods In Training 1/2014
The fishing was good; it was the catching that was bad.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:01 AM »
Here's my opinion. http://m.basspro.com/Clam-Corp-Scout-Thermal-Cap-Ice-Fishing-Shelter/product/10217505/139861
I called bass pro out on an otter lodge they had marked super low and stated the "sold out" for online purchases. They never even have these available at such low prices, so all they are doing is getting their page and company to show up on a google search, for marketing and advertising.. I have a friend that works at Bass pro and he said that they have never offered the otter at this price and it is a marketing ploy.

http://www.basspro.com/Otter-Outdoors-Pro-XTR-Thermal-Lodge-Package/product/10230594/

You can find the Clam Scout TC on sale at times for $250, and that is about as low as they go. I have a scout tc and they are a pretty neat shelter.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline perchpounder97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Never give up.-Mike Iaconelli
« Reply #5 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:34 AM »
If you live near a Gander and they still have the sale going on grab a kenai. I was considering one until I found out I could afford the Big Mouth (Gander special). With the cash you have left you could buy a boat seat and stay comfortable.

Offline wipike

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:49 AM »
Fleet Farm (sponser here) had the Kenai for 179 plus a $10 gift card ($20 if you spend 200) this last weekend, see if the sale is still going -

I measured out the weight of all the parts of the Kenai, and without the seat it was around #35 - with the metal bench seat it was #48.   Heck of a deal for something that size IMO - it's huge for a one man.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:00 AM »
Yah Kenai is nice, but the extra weight turned me off.
I couldn't believe my trapper only weighted 28lbs lol

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2013, 12:27 PM »
I got the frabill recon on sale for $149 at farm & fleet by me a few weeks ago and for solo fishing I like it I have not had to run a heater in it yet it is surprisingly warm plus it is easy to pull with my gear and has ample room plus it is easier than pulling and loading in the truck than my treker 2 when I am by myself the only thing I dislike is not having a door you have to flip it open to get out but I am getting used to that now
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline meier247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2013, 06:41 PM »
Thanks everyone i still think im gunna get a trapper its light and thats what i want i do alot of walking...but once i get a storage unit and get my fourwheeler up here weight wont be a issue but i still like light...thanks again

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Jan 22, 2013, 08:43 PM »
After pulling a couple clams I will NEVER buy another one. NEVER. They are the hardest pulling sleds I have ever seen. Frabill for me from now on. My recon dlx fully loaded pulls so easily its a joke.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 22, 2013, 09:35 PM »
I got the frabill recon on sale for $149 at farm & fleet by me a few weeks ago and for solo fishing I like it I have not had to run a heater in it yet it is surprisingly warm plus it is easy to pull with my gear and has ample room plus it is easier than pulling and loading in the truck than my treker 2 when I am by myself the only thing I dislike is not having a door you have to flip it open to get out but I am getting used to that now

if looking at frabill get the recon dlx the non-dlx plain suck like said before. any ways is it me or do i need rod holders up high to fish in the frabill??? thinking of adding some. any ways bets of luck gander has the trapper or keni on their web site for 189.99 on sale. but what every you deside is up to you. best of luck and stay safe.   

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Jan 22, 2013, 10:05 PM »
The only difference between the recon and the recon dlx is the bench seat I believe. Bench seat is not that great, I might take mine out next year and just use a bucket.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 22, 2013, 11:12 PM »
I mounted a board on the back half of my sled with 2 holes cut that 5 gallon buckets fit into one for fish and one for my tackle and vex plus made a nice table for setting stuff on while fishing and it left plenty of room for my sit and fish bucket in the front of that so I can sit on my bucket and keep my feet in the sled off the ice I use 28ul st croix rods for jigging and have not had any problems with hook sets hitting the front of my shack
early mornings,cold north winds,hard ice,good friends and cold high life..FLAG UP!.priceless

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2013, 01:07 AM »
The only difference between the recon and the recon dlx is the bench seat I believe. Bench seat is not that great, I might take mine out next year and just use a bucket.

the dlx  has a zipper door and a bench seat the other does not. but the non dlx is cheaper i paid i think it was $89.99 cash and carry at dicksport.com carefull their shipping is expensive.... at dicks and not worth it most of the time... like i am thinking support you sponsors and or local shops etc....rather then gander or dicks etc.. but thats up to you.   

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2013, 05:04 AM »
Shappell makes a good one.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2013, 06:03 AM »
The Shappell Rover 1 is alot like the trapper. Good luck finding one tho.

Offline ASATMillerbluegill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Addict
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2013, 07:00 AM »
I'd quit ice fishing if I had to sit on a bucket. Comfort fellas.

Buy a suit that floats you

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:54 AM »
I'd quit ice fishing if I had to sit on a bucket. Comfort fellas.

I'd still ice fish if I had to sit on an upside down barstool...
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:01 AM »
the dlx  has a zipper door and a bench seat the other does not. but the non dlx is cheaper i paid i think it was $89.99 cash and carry at dicksport.com carefull their shipping is expensive.... at dicks and not worth it most of the time... like i am thinking support you sponsors and or local shops etc....rather then gander or dicks etc.. but thats up to you.

Come over here and point out the zipper door on my recon dlx. I cant seem to find it.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline SEF830

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:02 AM »
I'd still ice fish if I had to sit on an upside down barstool...

Ha, you a 3 buddies could share the shanty

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2013, 09:31 PM »
Come over here and point out the zipper door on my recon dlx. I cant seem to find it.

just looked at the frabill.com they got rid of the door must have been last year they did cause they had them last year. i was going to buy a new cover for mine but figured it was not worth it casue i could not stand up to get out. it was 300d just like mine is why i waited for 99.99 it what i paid for my shanty.  so now your right there cause they don't carry them now or maybe any more who knows?  i got the non dlx without the bench seat and i ended out fabing one for it here is a pick of the set set up. if they did not change this stuff every year i could prove it to you but i guess your right for now lol's...

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:05 PM »
This one still says zipper door under  the  title. Because they did not update it most likely if you oder this one it will ship from the manufacture without a door cause they changed the design .

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/frabill-recon-dlx-portable-ice-shelter.aspx?a=577499

here is the item description
The ideal top-quality flip-over Portable Shelter for going solo! You can set up shop anywhere, in a hurry!

Durable weather and wind-resisting 300-denier tent fabric. With added polyurethane coatings to keep light and water out
Tough, compact sled base
Zip door
Padded stadium-style bench seat
Sturdy 3/4" galvanized steel frame
3 clear-view removable windows
MaxVent™ Air Exchange System for optimal venting
Easy set-up and fold-down
92 x 30 x 57" h. set-up; 50 x 30 1/2 x 18" h. folded; fishable area is 42 x 29 x 57" h. Weighs 50 lbs. For 1 angler and gear
Has 8 safety reflectors, each 2 x 2".
Get yours ONLINE today and get ready for a terrific season!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:23 PM »
This one still says zipper door under  the  title. Because they did not update it most likely if you oder this one it will ship from the manufacture without a door cause they changed the design .

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/frabill-recon-dlx-portable-ice-shelter.aspx?a=577499

here is the item description
The ideal top-quality flip-over Portable Shelter for going solo! You can set up shop anywhere, in a hurry!

Durable weather and wind-resisting 300-denier tent fabric. With added polyurethane coatings to keep light and water out
Tough, compact sled base
Zip door
Padded stadium-style bench seat
Sturdy 3/4" galvanized steel frame
3 clear-view removable windows
MaxVent™ Air Exchange System for optimal venting
Easy set-up and fold-down
92 x 30 x 57" h. set-up; 50 x 30 1/2 x 18" h. folded; fishable area is 42 x 29 x 57" h. Weighs 50 lbs. For 1 angler and gear
Has 8 safety reflectors, each 2 x 2".
Get yours ONLINE today and get ready for a terrific season!

I bought mine brand new, 2010 model. No door. They never had doors. Only commando + had doors. I don't think they ever had 3 removable windows either, believe that was only on the commando also.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2013, 10:50 PM »
I bought mine brand new, 2010 model. No door. They never had doors. Only commando + had doors. I don't think they ever had 3 removable windows either, believe that was only on the commando also.

i seen it on the frabill web site about 2010-2011 season.  maybe it was miss-state on there and every one thought it was to have a door? who knows and three windows etc... casue my frabill recon only has two windows like your saying i thought the door would be cool to have to watch tip ups threw. any who knows best of luck.... 

Offline toadhunter2

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2013, 11:48 PM »
ya I was surprised myself the box mine came in said 3 windows in the description but as I assembled it there was only 2 one on the left and one on the right guess they forgot to install one in the front or the rear must have been made on a Friday and did not have time to add the third window and make it to the pub  :roflmao:

Offline fish-kabob

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 24, 2013, 04:43 PM »
ya I was surprised myself the box mine came in said 3 windows in the description but as I assembled it there was only 2 one on the left and one on the right guess they forgot to install one in the front or the rear must have been made on a Friday and did not have time to add the third window and make it to the pub  :roflmao:

they must be corprate like they vote to put it on the box then get rid of the window leaving it on the box. ;D now you see my confusion on it. 

Offline meier247

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Jan 24, 2013, 08:15 PM »
Ha, you a 3 buddies could share the shanty
[/quote

Lmao...i agree id still fish too i could care less about what i have to sit on or if i have to stand....

Offline mote1977

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2013, 10:12 PM »
I love my Shappell FX100.

Offline BaitBucket

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #29 on: Jan 25, 2013, 06:54 AM »
If i could have found a shappell i probably would have bought one.

Couldnt find the Rover 1 or the FX100 locally.
Wasnt about to spend $30 in gas to go get one.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.