The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ice Fishing Etiquette  (Read 1499 times)

Offline woodab17

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 13.5 lbs
Ice Fishing Etiquette
« on: Jan 16, 2013, 12:48 PM »
So there has been a little talk about taking up too much space and where you would set up.

IMHO If someone gets to a lake before me they have the right to set up as tight together or as spread out as legally allowed.  I will never get within 50 yards of someone already set up unless it is a derby and there is no room.

I would never under any circumstance set up in the middle of someone's spread.

What do you guys think???

Offline NEK_VT

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice Fishing Etiquette
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:15 PM »
Agreed. And, it is important to check with someone if there is someone mearby when you find open holes. Someone many be coming back to it with a different tip-up.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:40 PM »
I agree as well.

I usually dont have to worry about it since I am usually on the ice before most get out of bed, but if I do get to where I am going and someone else is already there I simply stop and ask where they are fishing and if there is a problem if I fish over here or over there.......never had a problem with anyone.  Actually I wind up shooting the bull during the day and make new fishing buddies!

The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline JMailbox8

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:51 PM »
And to me Woodyvt, that is what its all about... meeting people on the ice and having a good time.  Anytime someone on the ice comes up to me asking for advice, I help them out. As long as people are catching fish, I'm happy.

Offline woodyvt

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • When the going is tough. The tough go ice fishing!
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2013, 03:47 PM »
And to me Woodyvt, that is what its all about... meeting people on the ice and having a good time.  Anytime someone on the ice comes up to me asking for advice, I help them out. As long as people are catching fish, I'm happy.

Absolutely!!  No fun catching a monster when you are by yourself.  With others one can:

Brag to your buddies face the rest of the day
Have someone take a picture as proof
Have someone to gaff it if needed
Have someone to swear at when you lose a monster
Learn new things
Teach old things
Share beer, food, laughs

Yup its all about meeting folks and having a good time!!

I have met many a good folk out on the ice and plan to meet many more!

Fish on!
The closest flag up may be the one that is behind you !

Offline fishingidjit

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2013, 04:18 PM »
This is MLK weekend so you may have rude out of staters fishing 3 ft from you.I have set up for salmon well before daylight only to have some clown drill next to my barely under the ice salmon setup. This usually occurs just when the salmon should be biting and really irks the crap outta me. Plenty of room for them to fish elsewhere but I think they believe it must be a hotspot if you are fishing there !This is not a reflection of all outta staters but quite a few fit the bill ! ::)

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2013, 04:44 PM »
I agree I went fishing on a bay up in the islands and it was jam packed with people fishing northerns but I found myself a little spot between the groups and set a line or tip ups no need to put a damper on anybody's day didn't catch as many as I'd like but still had fun isn't that what its all about? if the areas been taken just find the areas that haven't been set up in yet.
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline keithm87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:06 PM »
I fully agree with the thought that early bird gets worm... but when its early ice, and there is a limited area of safe ice its a bit different. I went to Joes a few weeks back, and there was a group of fishermen spread over the entire launch, out 200 yds and off in both directions sideways with a circle of tips around the outside. They had the entire area of safe ice (and even some of what I would call questionable ice) taken up. Now I was late arriving, but this early it is rude to take up that much space. Good ice take as much as you want I will find a different spot, but when there is only 1 safe body of water in the area, and only a small area there that is safe, one must think about other fishermen.

Offline grampieshanty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:24 PM »
So there has been a little talk about taking up too much space and where you would set up.

IMHO If someone gets to a lake before me they have the right to set up as tight together or as spread out as legally allowed.  I will never get within 50 yards of someone already set up unless it is a derby and there is no room.

I would never under any circumstance set up in the middle of someone's spread.

What do you guys think???
Actually had this happen to me once, even though it was pointed out to the guy he still proceded to pop a hole in right next to my shanty. As woody said I to love meeting fellow fisherman on the ice & have been know to share a beer or six & some fish stories, but this gentleman had & gave no respect to myself & the guys who were fishing with me.Had he shown some it wouldn't have been a problem at all to set up & fish in the area where we were allready setting up. Words were spoken (not my nature) & in the end as it was quite cold that day he was invited to warm up in the shanty but declined. Fishing is supposed to be fun & I have a lot of fun doing it!
A bad day of fishing is still better than a good day at work

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
« Reply #9 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:04 PM »
Absolutely!!  No fun catching a monster when you are by yourself.  With others one can:

Brag to your buddies face the rest of the day
Have someone take a picture as proof
Have someone to gaff it if needed
Have someone to swear at when you lose a monster
Learn new things
Teach old things
Share beer, food, laughs

Yup its all about meeting folks and having a good time!!

I have met many a good folk out on the ice and plan to meet many more!

Fish on!

X2!
"Ice is on the lake so we're going Fishin!"

Offline fishnmachine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:20 PM »
You've hit the nail on the head! Respect and consideration are A No. 1.  :tipup:
                           One more with the one we're after and we'll have two.

Offline vtpike

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 16, 2013, 07:55 PM »
You've hit the nail on the head! Respect and consideration are A No. 1.  :tipup:

Absolutely right!

Crappy ice has pinched us a bit..we will be speading out soon!

Offline camo ninja

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 17, 2013, 05:09 AM »
i agree but tourneys is usually when i see things get crazy , some poeple are selfish and have zero respect !

Offline vtshantyman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • grab your rod and get jiggy with it
« Reply #13 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:42 AM »
I agree as well.

I usually don't have to worry about it since I am usually on the ice before most get out of bed, but if I do get to where I am going and someone else is already there I simply stop and ask where they are fishing and if there is a problem if I fish over here or over there.......never had a problem with anyone.  Actually I wind up shooting the bull during the day and make new fishing buddies!
well said sir! in fact i have met lots of people through fishing and feel that conversation is a huge part of ice fishing i mean you get to learn a lot form people seeing as everyone has their own way of doing things

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.