Author Topic: Weeds under the ice  (Read 774 times)

Offline Bschrock55

• Team IceShanty Regular
Weeds under the ice
« on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:29 AM »
What changes do weeds undergo during the winter?  Does the weed edge move? Does the depth of weeds change?  Do they mostly die off? Also, how do you use your flasher to locate weed edges? How do you determine what type of bottom you are over when using a flasher?

Offline bigmike7272

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Weeds under the ice
« Reply #1 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:36 AM »
I'm pretty new to flashers but from what I've found with weeds is that the top of the weeds will show up as a mark, sometimes strong, sometimes weak depending on how your gain is set. If that mark doesn't move when i try to attract it,  i determine it's weeds and then fish under it. I've had perch chase me to that mark that is the top of the weeds but they won't leave the weeds for fear of pike. As far as bottom composition, if your flasher is sending you a good strong signal you have a hard bottom, such as rocks or gravel. If your flasher is sending back a weak bottom signal your bottom is most likely mud.

Tell me and I'll forget. Show me and I'll remember some of it. Involve me and I will have lifetime knowledge.

-Anomymous

Offline lostman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ice, cold, water you say? sounds miserable... not!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:42 AM »
I'm pretty new to flashers but from what I've found with weeds is that the top of the weeds will show up as a mark, sometimes strong, sometimes weak depending on how your gain is set. If that mark doesn't move when i try to attract it,  i determine it's weeds and then fish under it. I've had perch chase me to that mark that is the top of the weeds but they won't leave the weeds for fear of pike. As far as bottom composition, if your flasher is sending you a good strong signal you have a hard bottom, such as rocks or gravel. If your flasher is sending back a weak bottom signal your bottom is most likely mud.

very good info

i would basically say the same
weeds will usually show up as a sparse spread out patch with one slightly stronger mark at the top that all looks like interference and your bottom will still be your strongest mark most of the time.

as for weeds in the winter most of the time they just"die" and begin to "rot" or get eaten away by bugs so most of the time they wont move or change unless you are in a situation with current wich will slowly break them apart and take them away since they cant get the sunlight they need to survive, if you have thin clear ice the weeds can still survive.

lastly for your bottom if it is a hard solid rock bottom you chould be able to turn your gain to its minimum and still get a good signal coming off the bottom, as it changes to a more muddy/clay bottom your signal will become "longer" taking up more room on the flasher as you have to turn the gain up to get a good signal,

hope ths made some sense
hello my name is lostman and im an ice fishing addict, and always will be

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:03 AM »
Weeds die back during the winter, but are always present.
That's where most predators hide to ambush their prey.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline Bschrock55

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:08 AM »
Good info, thanks. I've been trying to target more species this year so I just picked up a flasher. I'm looking forward to it helping me find that structure.  As far as predators hiding in the weeds? It's been suggested to me to set tip ups 3ft or so below the ice when targeting pike. If I find weeds, say at 10 down, should I stick with 3ft below the surface? Or set them closer to the weeds, since I know where they are?

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #5 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:16 AM »
I guess it depends on the lake but we have standing green cabbage weeds almost all winter in certain spots unless there is really a lot of snow cover blocking out all sun light then they start to die. I also find the coon tail weeds stay green for a long time also. They don't move in winter, if they are there during summer and fall they will be there in winter. When you find standing green weeds you have a good spot.

Offline reddog11

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lunker Lewie is the son of Adirondack Lew.
« Reply #6 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:38 AM »
Weeds die back during the winter, but are always present.
That's where most predators hide to ambush their prey.
Right. ;D
Master Laker taker.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.