The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: 6''nills hand auger  (Read 1757 times)

Offline olddog9

• IceShanty Rookie
6''nills hand auger
« on: Jan 14, 2013, 02:20 PM »
Costco have lots for 99.99 don,t know if price is good or not,,,peterborough store.The box shows a cordless drill attached to it ,so must be able to put drill on it?

Offline mhfishing

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: 6''nills hand auger
« Reply #1 on: Jan 14, 2013, 02:28 PM »
I have one and love it.  I am sure you could put a drill on it but I just use the crank.  It is the fastest hand auger I have used and it is effortless.  It is light and the handle stows fast.  I would recomend especially at that price.

Offline DEADONDYLAN

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 14, 2013, 02:32 PM »
Is it the new orange one ? That one is drill ready, comes with regular handles but has disk at top to stop it from dropping down hole when used with 1/2" drive drill. Looks highly interesting waiting for someone on here to get one and report about it.

Offline JZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 14, 2013, 03:23 PM »
Nils is top of the line. Can't comment on the drill attachment but as far as hand augers go the most important thing is having an offset handle.  Yes the auger make is important and the quality of the blades are too but I will take a cheaper auger with an offset handle over a higher quality inline one.
@jzuliniak

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 14, 2013, 06:37 PM »
Finally got on the ice for the 1st time this year to use my Nils 8" hand auger that I got for Christmas.  I have no complaints, it felt like a quality item and I had to put absolutely no weight on the auger for it to cut.  I have no prior experience with a hand auger but after using it today I can't imagine one cutting much better than it did. 
Now on to my overall view of it, if any of you are debating rather or not to get a power auger or a top of the line hand auger there is no comparison, NOTHING comes close to an oil burner.  I saw reviews of people stating how there Nils cut so well that they haven't used there power auger in years, well to each there own but the only thing I can think is that they never fish on more than 8 inches of ice.  Anything over 12 inches and the Nils will be standing by in my truck as a back up.
I have also seen reviews of people saying how they can drill a hole faster than a power auger, well unless that power auger has a 10" bit, is having trouble starting, the blades are as dull as a rock and the hand auger is a 4 inch I will have to throw the B.S. card.  Anyway there's my review, take it for what it's worth......which probably isn't much..... ;D

Offline evobassfish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:55 PM »
I have a 6" and an 8" Nils. If the ice is over 10" and you drill alot of holes to find fish you will wish you had a power auger. Trust me when I say this ;D. I use my 6" Lazer(my very first auger) for early ice 8-10" and any thicker I crack out the Nils with the Tanaka. Its not that they dont drill through anything thicker than 12" but more so they dont drill alot in search of fish.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 14, 2013, 08:03 PM »
I have the powerhead on my Nils and love it....

Offline bee

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:55 PM »
The power head doen't get tired. We do.
Thats Why They Call It Fishing.

Online Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #8 on: Jan 15, 2013, 03:52 PM »
Certainly hear a lot of good things bout niles.

WS

Offline olddog9

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 17, 2013, 11:40 AM »
Yes it is the orange one,was back to-day and the are on sale for 49.87,Checked on internet a 6'' head is almost 50.00.Don,t need one but for that  price i bought one anyway.

Offline Canadianiceguy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2013, 11:30 AM »
i have also been wondering about the nills to. to bad no report yet. just waiting to hear about one before i buy

Offline duckhuntrrus

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:12 AM »
A person needs to be somewhat delicate with their Nils auger.  I finally got to use the one I bought last year, and drilled the first 6 holes pretty fast.  After that the auger would just spin.  Not so sure that I might have had some ice build up on the blades.  So far I am not very happy with it.  I read a lot of the great reviews, and didnt see any bad reviews until lately.  I think their quality might be going down the tube.  Buyer beware.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.  Teach him how to fish and he will sit in a boat or on the ice and drink beer all day.

Offline slymer83

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:16 AM »
Is it the new orange one ? That one is drill ready, comes with regular handles but has disk at top to stop it from dropping down hole when used with 1/2" drive drill. Looks highly interesting waiting for someone on here to get one and report about it.
i got one Deadon used it once so far with the handle drilled nice did about 10 holes or so gonna use my 18 volt dewalt on it next trip i'll let you all know how it works

Offline Nutsicles

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Can't sleep, ice season is too short!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 19, 2013, 06:41 AM »
A person needs to be somewhat delicate with their Nils auger.  I finally got to use the one I bought last year, and drilled the first 6 holes pretty fast.  After that the auger would just spin.  Not so sure that I might have had some ice build up on the blades.  So far I am not very happy with it.  I read a lot of the great reviews, and didnt see any bad reviews until lately.  I think their quality might be going down the tube.  Buyer beware.

I started ice fishing with a 6" mora, and the 6" nils is 10 times better.
I haven't had any issues with mine. You do have to protect the blades. They must stay sharp. I'm not implying that you do, but I have seen a lot of people use hand augers and 3/4 of the way through the hole they'll stop and use the auger like a spud bar and try to punch through the ice. This doesn't do anything but dull/bend the blades.

After I'm done drilling a set of holes, I put the blade cover back on and lay it on the ice. I always keep the cutting edge protected. I've had mine for two years now. I've drilled 100's of holes and it still cuts like new.

I think a lot of the bad reviews are from guys that are naturally hard on equipment. I was guilty of it too with my mora. Drill a hole and just toss the auger to the ice.

Offline Itinerant

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 19, 2013, 10:15 AM »

So you might have had ice build up on the blades, which would affect the cutting ability of any auger, but people should be wary of buying the Nils? That doesn't make any sense at all. Last weekend the temp was -12 at the lake when I got there and after cutting about a dozen holes my auger was completely iced up and would not cut at all until de-iced. After de-icing it cut like new again.

The statement that you need to be somewhat delicate with the Nils doesn't make a lot of sense either. All augers are designed to do one thing; drill through ice. Some designs are better or more efficient than others but all must me treated with care so as not to cause damage which inherently degrades cutting performance.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #15 on: Jan 21, 2013, 09:18 PM »
I have the Nils with the power head and love it! Its light 21 lbs. and it flys through the ice. I have never had a problem with mine. I have owned it for three yrs and just sent it off to be sharpened. They are the TOP of the line IMO.
  Matt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.