The Dark House Spearing board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: What's the shallowest water you'll spear in?  (Read 1513 times)

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
What's the shallowest water you'll spear in?
« on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:02 PM »
I have successfully speared fish in two feet of water. Does any anybody go this shallow? I have another area that is about a foot and a half deep that was successful with tip ups last year.  Thinking about setting up over it tomorrow morning.  Just curious if the fish get spooked sitting over them that shallow?
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline Higgins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT EVER IT TAKES
Re: What's the shallowest water you'll spear in?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 10, 2013, 08:39 PM »
I have successfully speared fish in two feet of water. Does any anybody go this shallow? I have another area that is about a foot and a half deep that was successful with tip ups last year.  Thinking about setting up over it tomorrow morning.  Just curious if the fish get spooked sitting over them that shallow?

I always like to think of bow hunting when I spear so it's kinda like if you put your stand 7' off the ground, even though they can't see you they could still spot the spear as you slowly lower it. I wouldn't spear in less than 3' but if your successful dont be listening to the yuppys on here  ;D

Offline swampbuckster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I.S. FOR LIFE! <(((((><|
« Reply #2 on: Jan 10, 2013, 09:06 PM »
One thing I should mention is the lake has ultra low visibility. Around 3 feet max. I can spot pike deeper, they almost seem to glo yellow, but bottom is a different story. That may be my advantage in the 2 foot area I spear out of.
You may call me crazy, but crazy catches fish!

Offline Whopper Stopper

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Jan 11, 2013, 05:00 AM »
Years ago I speared on Lake Of The Woods a lot. Visibility was bad a few years. 3 feet was about it and I would set up in about 2.5 feet of water. One thing I will say is the pucker string gets pretty tight when a 40" slides in at that range.

WS

Offline jasonmichalski

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 11, 2013, 11:10 PM »
3-4', but at a foot you wont scare them as you don't need.to put the spear in the water just stick'em and throw them out.the door and.repeat

Offline RLWagner

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2013, 06:49 PM »

Same thing on Muscamoot bay. At times the bigguns are stacked in 12-24 inches of water inhaling food.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.