Author Topic: Vexilar FL-22, Gone!  (Read 7606 times)

Offline bulldawger

• Team IceShanty Regular
Vexilar FL-22, Gone!
« on: Jan 08, 2013, 06:11 PM »
Can someone tell me if all fl 22 flashers are "hd" ?
I dont always drink beer, but when I do I like to drink alot of it.

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Vexilar FL-22, Gone!
« Reply #1 on: Jan 08, 2013, 06:42 PM »
Yes, they all are

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 08, 2013, 07:47 PM »
just taking advantage of the fad.  i saw hd sunglasses in walgreens the other day ::)

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Oct 17, 2013, 04:52 PM »
Anyone else notice how the FL-22 just "went away".  I bought 2 the first season they were released.  Traded out the Tri-Beams on both of them a couple of times and have never really been happy with the performance.  They make me miss my FL-18 with the Dual-Beam transducer.

Anyway, was looking at Vexilar's site and I just thought it was interesting how every other incremental improvement since the FL-8 is still available but the FL-22 is no longer...  IT'S GONE!

I plan on purchasing a Pro-View and try it with the FL-22.  I'm really hoping the Pro-View brings it to life.  Otherwise, much like Vexilar, I'm done with it.  I'll chalk it up as an expensive reminder of why I shouldn't purchase new technology the first year or two after its release.   :'(

Q

Offline Crappieguy79

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Bring it.
« Reply #4 on: Oct 17, 2013, 04:55 PM »
I heard the flx28 took over the place of the 22 from numerous people.
Clam ice armor powerstick. Bring it

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Oct 17, 2013, 05:07 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure it did.  Seems like a nice unit too.  But, why didn't the 18 take place of the 8  or the 20 take the place of the 12...

Every other incrementally improved unit is still available.  The 22 is gone.

I'm just really hoping that the root of my dissatisfaction lies in the performance of the Tri-Beam transducer and not the FL-22 itself.

Understand what I'm saying?

Q

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Oct 17, 2013, 05:13 PM »
Yeah, I'm sure it did.  Seems like a nice unit too.  But, why didn't the 18 take place of the 8  or the 20 take the place of the 12...

I'm just really hoping that the root of my dissatisfaction lies in the performance of the Tri-Beam transducer and not the FL-22 itself.

Q

My buddy bought a 22 thing is sweet. His Tri beam ducer went bad on him though. Vexilar has had issues with the Tri beam. I believe the first batch that was made had something that went wrong with them. I put a Tri beam on my fl20 double vision. Love the Tri beam works great but I bought it late in the year, so I'm thinking it wasn't from the first batch of Tri beams that came out.  I believe your issues are from getting two bad Tri beams. From what I seen my buddies 22 is a great unit.

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Oct 17, 2013, 06:34 PM »
I still have the original fl8 and it is so darn bullet proof that I;ll never get to replace it.  :P

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #8 on: Oct 17, 2013, 06:48 PM »
I've seen older vex units go flying across the ice at 40 plus mph falling off a quad and still work. Now that's saying something

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Oct 17, 2013, 07:34 PM »

Q
I had the 22 with the Tri Beam transducer and switched it out in the first two weeks. I now have the pro view with my 22 and I love it. I don't know why they even offer the tri beam. The Tri beam transducer is crap IMO.
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #10 on: Oct 17, 2013, 09:31 PM »
I'm glad I read this post because I was going to buy a tri beam this year and try it on the 28 and put it on the 20 if didn't like it
Never to many short poles

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Oct 17, 2013, 10:34 PM »

Q

here's my take on why the 18 didn't replace the 8 and the 20 replaced the 12. let's look at each models features.

FL- 8    this was the first and original three color flasher. it does not have auto zoom or bottom lock. it is a basic simple to use model.

FL-12 to me this is just a flat screen version of the FL-8 with the built in low power mode unlike the FL-8 that needed the S-Cable for low power mode.

Fl-18  this was the first flasher to offer auto zoom and bottom lock.

FL-20  is the flat screen version of the FL 18 with the following added features : added the 12 foot auto zoom but eliminated the bottom lock, added a night mode that cut the brightness of the display by 50% for night fishing, increased the max depth to 300 feet instead of the 200 ft of the FL-18.

now let's talk about the FL-22HD & the FLX-28

the FLX- 28 did indeed replace the FL-22HD but to me the FLX-28 offers the same features of the FL-22 plus even more. the FLX-28 added the auto depth setting, it removed the bottom lock feature the FL-22 offered, increased the IR settings from 10 up to 20, offers the 5 color options on the display, added a specialized weed fishing mode, added a demo mode, added a built in digital depth display and battery status gauge, the big upgrade is the brushless data transfer system the FLX-28 offers.

if anyone did still wanted to get a FL-22 there are some on the vexilar site for sale (reconditioned units).
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Oct 18, 2013, 08:10 AM »
I've seen older vex units go flying across the ice at 40 plus mph falling off a quad and still work. Now that's saying something

Hahaha, had that happen last year with my 'Bird Ice-55. Bounced out of my sled being towed by snow machine. Got to my spot, drilled a hole and went to grab the sonar and it was gone! Followed my track back and found it about a mile back. Still works great.
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Oct 18, 2013, 09:13 AM »

...FL-22HD but to me the FLX-28 offers the same features of the FL-22 plus even more.

Perhaps I'm not understanding you but I believe you have just elaborated on my point.  Each of those units can do everything that the "lesser" can do, they just tack on additional features and cost more.

I'm just gonna hope its a "price point" thing and not an underlying issue with the design itself.

Q

Offline tswoboda

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 18, 2013, 09:15 AM »
Anyone else notice how the FL-22 just "went away".  I bought 2 the first season they were released.  Traded out the Tri-Beams on both of them a couple of times and have never really been happy with the performance.  They make me miss my FL-18 with the Dual-Beam transducer.

Anyway, was looking at Vexilar's site and I just thought it was interesting how every other incremental improvement since the FL-8 is still available but the FL-22 is no longer...  IT'S GONE!

I plan on purchasing a Pro-View and try it with the FL-22.  I'm really hoping the Pro-View brings it to life.  Otherwise, much like Vexilar, I'm done with it.  I'll chalk it up as an expensive reminder of why I shouldn't purchase new technology the first year or two after its release.   :'(

Q
The x28 and the 22 are in the same price range. All other vex flashers are in different price ranges. So rather than add a new high end price range, Vexilar replaced the existing top model.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #15 on: Oct 18, 2013, 09:31 AM »
I think the FL22 was pretty much a shallow water unit and the FLX28 will let you fish deep water. I think this was one down fall for the FL22.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline JimQ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Oct 18, 2013, 10:20 AM »
I think the FL22 was pretty much a shallow water unit and the FLX28 will let you fish deep water. I think this was one down fall for the FL22.

Therein lies the irony...

If I remember correctly, the 22HD was marketed as the "Ultimate" shallow water flasher.

I fish the shallow stuff almost exclusively.  Usually less than 10'.  That's why I jumped in head first and bought 2.

The FL-22/Tri-Beams that I have struggle in the shallow stuff.  The performance starts to become acceptable when you get into 15 - 20 FoW.

Q

Offline Monticatgeek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Oct 18, 2013, 06:41 PM »
JimQ,

I think you will find that the pro view transducer will help. the other option that might work for you since you are fishing shallow water is to buy a 19 degree transducer. buying the 19 degree would be cheaper then the pro view.

the rule of thumb I use is as follows :

0'-30' deep  -   use a 19 or 20 degree transducer
30' to 45' deep -  use a 12 degree transducer
45' & greater  -  use 8 or 9 degree transducer

this was part of why Vexilar came out with the tri beam. it gave you all transducer in one simply by flipping the switch. I put a 12 degree transducer on my FL-22 and moved the tri beam over to my FL-12 Genz pack. with time both flashers will have a proview transducer on them.
Fishing is not a hobby it is a way of life

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #18 on: Oct 18, 2013, 11:01 PM »
I never had a problem with my Tri-beam. I love the thing.

Offline jumbo chaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • never to cold to fish not cold enough!!
« Reply #19 on: Oct 19, 2013, 12:03 AM »
You can still get a refurbished one on the vex site $490 but no new ones that I have found
Never to many short poles

Offline Corey Bechtold

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Oct 20, 2013, 08:17 AM »
Joe's Sporting Goods in St.Paul had a few left!

Good fishing,

Corey Bechtold

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #21 on: Oct 20, 2013, 09:14 AM »
You can still get a refurbished one on the vex site $490 but no new ones that I have found
they are around still..reeds has a bunch.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Oct 26, 2013, 05:10 PM »
man i thought that thing revolutionized ice fishing!....go figure

Offline high_flags

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Oct 26, 2013, 07:36 PM »
 I bought one last year a 22hd  did not care for it... sold it.. Love my old  fl-18    Thinking of checking out the flx28 for this season
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing poles.

Offline onza04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #24 on: Oct 27, 2013, 01:22 PM »
I bought one last year a 22hd  did not care for it... sold it.. Love my old  fl-18    Thinking of checking out the flx28 for this season

I made this vid, in case you wanted to see the differences between the 18 / 28..

Offline dkfry

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #25 on: Oct 27, 2013, 03:51 PM »

What didn't you like about the 22? I have an 18 and a 22. The 22 is  definitely an improvement over the 18 IMO. The only real downside to the 22 is the 60 max depth.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Oct 27, 2013, 07:08 PM »
Vex website has a few left, then its gone! FLX28 looks freakin sweet, I want one!! ;D

Offline toofuss

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • stick 'em
« Reply #27 on: Nov 02, 2013, 12:18 PM »
I got told by the manager of the scheels fishing dept that vex was out of units right now. How can this be?

I was on a bus and just happened to be sitting on a news paper. This guy came up and asked. "Are you reading that ?"
I said  yes, stood up, turned the page and sat back down.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.