The ice fishing VT boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Ct river setbacks  (Read 2475 times)

Offline Perchorbust

• IceShanty Rookie
Ct river setbacks
« on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:12 PM »
Fished a ct river setback this afternoon.  Caught a real nice load of perch and others... Ice was 6 inches.  Someone had a quad on it.  Would not run my quad out there yet but ....  It was a good afternoon.  Anyone  fish the ct yet?

Offline PerchSlayer67

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "It's a big one guys!"
Re: Ct river setbacks
« Reply #1 on: Jan 06, 2013, 07:30 PM »
Wicked a buddy and I were on a setback this morning. A decent amount of people tipup fishing there. We were perch jerkin. caught a decent amount of good perch.. ice was crapty tho. 2.5 -3". Wasn't the greatest where we wanted to be.
"Ice is on the lake so we're going Fishin!"

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:01 AM »
Fished a little setback yesterday. caught 3 crappies and about a million baby gills between the two of us...saw a guy catch a nice pike on tip up, in the section we were ORIGINALLY going to go..haha   oh well, ya know how it goes.. :)
"Guys, Come look! This perch is as big as my house!"

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:50 AM »
I have few questions about the setbacks I want to try it but can I use my jigs? I heard that i need non lead ones which means i cant use probably almost 99% of my tiny panfish jigs any info on this
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:54 AM »
I have few questions about the setbacks I want to try it but can I use my jigs? I heard that i need non lead ones which means i cant use probably almost 99% of my tiny panfish jigs any info on this
As far as i know, the lead ban is only on sinkers weighing less that 1/2oz. All lead jigs are ok.

Offline ice fiend

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • im a die hard ice fishing addict 'nuff said
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:56 AM »
thanks vt-jig I want to try it never have maybe tomorrow anybody else going out tomorrow?
i told myself id be back by 2 i guess i didnt factor in that the fish were biting

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:54 AM »
A jig may not be less than one inch in length and weight less than an once, so no, your tiny panfish jigs are not allowed on the river unless they are tungston.  we made the switch.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:57 AM »
A jig may not be less than one inch in length and weight less than an once, so no, your tiny panfish jigs are not allowed on the river unless they are tungston.  we made the switch.
Were is this regulation listed? Not questioning your information, just wanna know where this information is located to see for myself.

Offline coldfish55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:03 AM »
From the VT fISH AND WILDLIFE GUIDE 2013
Lead Sinkers
It is illegal to sell, offer for sale or use a lead sinker in Vermont. “Sinker” means any device which weighs one-half ounce or less and is attached to a fishing line for the purpose of sinking the line, and does not include other lead fishing-related items such as weighted fly line, lead-core fishing line, downrigger cannonballs, weighted flies, lures, spoons, or jig heads.

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:09 AM »
You all need to remember that C=the Conn River is  a NH body of water, not Vermont, licenses are reciprocal but laws and regs are set by NH.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline vt-jig

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:15 AM »
You all need to remember that C=the Conn River is  a NH body of water, not Vermont, licenses are reciprocal but laws and regs are set by NH.
I didnt think of that.

Offline coldfish55

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 07, 2013, 10:27 AM »
From the NH guide

Get the Lead Out
Share on facebook Facebook GoogleShare on twitter Twitter Share on email Biologists have studied the effects of lead sinkers and jigs on waterbirds, such as loons and swans, since the 1970s. Their ongoing research has documented that, in the Northeast United States and Canada where loons breed, lead sinkers or jigs can account for 10 to 50 percent of dead adult loons found by researchers.

State law prohibits the use of certain size lead sinkers and jigs in all freshwaters of New Hampshire. The ban prohibits the use of lead sinkers weighing 1 ounce or less and lead jigs less than 1 inch long along their longest axis. The sale of these lead sinkers and jigs is prohibited in the state of NH.

Offline dave bartlett

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:20 PM »
From the VT fISH AND WILDLIFE GUIDE 2013
Lead Sinkers
It is illegal to sell, offer for sale or use a lead sinker in Vermont. “Sinker” means any device which weighs one-half ounce or less and is attached to a fishing line for the purpose of sinking the line, and does not include other lead fishing-related items such as weighted fly line, lead-core fishing line, downrigger cannonballs, weighted flies, lures, spoons, or jig heads.
      IT says aboveThat lead is not to be used to sink a line,and does NOT INCLUDE ,FLY LINE<LEAD CORE,CANNONBALLS ETC.OR JIG HEADS.
     So they are legal in Vermont.I didn't read the book just read what he copied above.

Were is this regulation listed? Not questioning your information, just wanna know where this information is located to see for myself.

Offline DyingBreed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • DYING BREED
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2013, 06:27 PM »
From the NH guide

Get the Lead Out
Share on facebook Facebook GoogleShare on twitter Twitter Share on email Biologists have studied the effects of lead sinkers and jigs on waterbirds, such as loons and swans, since the 1970s. Their ongoing research has documented that, in the Northeast United States and Canada where loons breed, lead sinkers or jigs can account for 10 to 50 percent of dead adult loons found by researchers.

State law prohibits the use of certain size lead sinkers and jigs in all freshwaters of New Hampshire. The ban prohibits the use of lead sinkers weighing 1 ounce or less and lead jigs less than 1 inch long along their longest axis. The sale of these lead sinkers and jigs is prohibited in the state of NH.
Yea ... they checked 5 loons and 1 had a sinker in it ( most likely from a fish it ate with line attached ) That means 1/5 of the loons died from lead ...... :%$#!:
If the women don't find ya handsome, they should at least find ya handy !  Fish on, gotta go ..........!!!

Offline stevesb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 07, 2013, 07:04 PM »
TUNGSTEN jigs are the way to go!!! Heavier and legal everywhere!

Offline Perchorbust

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 12, 2013, 12:00 PM »
Once again. CT river setback.  Got a pile of perch to fillet and a few others as well.  Bite was slow this am and then picked up at about 11.

Offline hole jumper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2013, 12:05 PM »
wish i lived closer

Offline Nosaj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:24 PM »

Does that include bait laws?

Offline rboot

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:42 PM »
Does that include bait laws?
This is what I was told this weekend by a bait dealer.  You can use either bait on the river, however you can't take bait bought in VT across the river to fish a setback on the NH side.  Same bait, don't get it, but it is what it is.
<br />Ice Fish Vermont

Offline CJiceaddict

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #19 on: Jan 15, 2013, 01:47 PM »
This is what I was told this weekend by a bait dealer.  You can use either bait on the river, however you can't take bait bought in VT across the river to fish a setback on the NH side.  Same bait, don't get it, but it is what it is.

And you cant take NH bait and access the river from the vt side. They need to come up with a bait modification for the river. Some of the better places to fish are on the vt side and once you are on the ice, the bait doesn't matter because it is NH water. Its just the act of transporting the bait to the river in the state of vt that is the issue...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.