The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Your opinion on best Crappie Lake  (Read 7757 times)

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
Your opinion on best Crappie Lake
« on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:09 PM »
I'm looking for your guys on opinions on the best crappie lake in Wisconsin. I'm looking to do one big trip this winter to get out and chase some true slabs. I would be interested in hiring a guide or if you know where the crappies are at and wouldn't mine taking me that would be good too. Any input would be appreciated.

Offline matt12

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Your opinion on best Crappie Lake
« Reply #1 on: Jan 05, 2013, 09:24 PM »
i know a few nice spots. ill guide you :) for the right price  ;D ;D ;D ;D

also a blind fold will be included in the price

Offline Hard Water Maniacs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Learn what you can, but teach what you know!"
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:28 PM »
Let me know when you are planning on a trip and I will "HOOK" you up. No charge! Learn what you can, but teach what you know! ;D
H.W.M.  Youth Mentoring Director
Team Extreme Ice Circuit/ Wisconsin Director
Frabill Pro Staff
K&E Stopper Pro 
Jaw Jacker Pro 
ION Pro Staff
HT Pro Staff
Vexilar Promoter
U.S.A. Ice Team qualifier

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #3 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:28 AM »
That's a tough one, because as soon as word gets out on a good crappie lake with size and numbers it gets beat to death and average size goes down the drain. Are you looking for a good shot at a true trophy 15"+ or just good numbers of 10"-12" fish. Some of my biggest crappie come from very small lakes that get barley any pressure, but are sworn to secrecy.
If you want to hire a guide or find someone who can put you on fish there are the bigger flowages, Chippewa, Turtle Flambeau, Gile, Willow, all have nice crappie if you can find them. When it comes to good crappie fishing I don't know to many people who will lay it out on the internet, except for places like Red Lake Mn. or Lake of the Woods.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 07, 2013, 11:13 AM »
I'm looking for a lake that I could pull a true slab out of. I know its pretty hard to find a lake that has good fish in it that not everyone and their brother knows about.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2013, 01:37 PM »
The thing I find is the small lakes I know that I pull 13" or better crappie out of, not all the time, but maybe 1 out of 5 times out. Is that you don't catch a lot of fish. If I get 6 fish in the 10" - 15" range is a good day. The action crappie lakes where you can get 15- 25 crappies a day you will seldom get a 13"  fish.

Offline Ranger619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2013, 06:13 PM »
That's easy....one of the flowages !! I'd take Castle Rock or Petenwell myself. But I'm sure the Chip would be awesome too. JMO
Fish as much as you can we're not here forever!

Otter Cottage Pro X Over
Marcum LX9 LX7 LX3
Thorne Bros,G Austin & TUCR Rods
Striker Lite Flite Milwaukee Fuel M18

Suzuki 750 King Quad W/Otter Monster Box

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2013, 08:53 PM »
That what I was thinking on maybe a good birthday present to myself to make the drive to one of them and hire a guide.

Offline esox13

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2013, 09:43 PM »
That's easy....one of the flowages !! I'd take Castle Rock or Petenwell myself. But I'm sure the Chip would be awesome too. JMO

Exactly the lakes I was going to suggest...I would call Justin at All Seasons Adventures http://www.allseasonsadventuresinwi.com/ or Jesse Quale from Green Water Walleye http://www.greenwaterwalleyes.com/index.htm

I do not have an affiliation with either of them....only know them by what some of their past customers have told me.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #9 on: Jan 08, 2013, 10:56 AM »
If you just want to do a day trip up around Hayward area on a weekend let me know. I might be getting laid off for about a month here soon, I am always looking for someone to fish with. I have a lot of prospective places I want to try, but it is hard to fish and cover a lot of area searching for fish by myself. I know there are big fish just need to find them. And where I like to go I am usually the only one on the lake.

Offline WhiskyCrappie52

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 08, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Erik, you ever fish the Chippewa Flowage or do stick to smaller bodys of water?

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #11 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:11 AM »
Up by our cabin there's a lame that has produced a couple monsters that i know of
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #12 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:46 AM »
Erik, you ever fish the Chippewa Flowage or do stick to smaller bodys of water?

I fish the Chip in open water, never tried ice fishing. It has only been open to ice fishing for a few years now. Pan fish, bass, and northern. Not allowed to keep any walleye. 15,000 acres might be hard to find fish? I have a few spots I might like to try sometime through the ice for crappie.

Offline Hard Water Maniacs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Learn what you can, but teach what you know!"
« Reply #13 on: Jan 09, 2013, 12:10 PM »
We recently returned from a trip this past Saturday  that landed us on some very nice crappie here in Wisconsin. Most averaged in the .75 to 1lb range including several in the 1.5+ range. Good time! Fish were stacked like cord wood. Throw in some huge perch and a nice bass. It was a day to remember!   ;D ;D
H.W.M.  Youth Mentoring Director
Team Extreme Ice Circuit/ Wisconsin Director
Frabill Pro Staff
K&E Stopper Pro 
Jaw Jacker Pro 
ION Pro Staff
HT Pro Staff
Vexilar Promoter
U.S.A. Ice Team qualifier

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
« Reply #14 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:08 PM »
In two weeks the GF and I are taking 4 days off and going in search of the SLABS.  We will be fishing from Chetec north and hitting as many lakes as possible.  We will be fishing the 23, 24, 25, 26th of this month.  If anyone wants to join us feel free to contact me.  I will have my snowmobile (1975 Pantera) if you want to call it that, but it gets me there and back most of the time!!! 

I know one day we are going to fish a little Honey Hole lake that has produced some nice Crappies and Gills in the past.  We only fish C&R there or it would be hard on it.  I will report back on how we did.  I have thought about the Chip and may try it.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #15 on: Jan 09, 2013, 03:36 PM »
As far as the Chip I know a few bays where I hammer the crappie in spring, I'm thinking maybe the deep water just outside those bays may be worth a shot. I talked to the boss today and it looks like I can take a one month layoff starting Jan. 19th If you want to hit up the chip let me know. I also have a snowmobile a 1992 Polaris Indy 500, but by that time you could probably drive a semi tractor trailer on the ice. With no snow so far you could drive a 2 wheel drive car out about anyplace right now.

Offline Michaelo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Jan 09, 2013, 08:07 PM »
I've been driving my Saturn out but I'm hoping to get my sled that I just bought going and rigging that up for fishing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.