Author Topic: Not too impressed  (Read 1053 times)

Offline RynoIceMan

• Team IceShanty Addict
Not too impressed
« on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:03 PM »
With my Nils 8".... Its awkaward too tall(and im not short at 6'1") and honestly imo it didnt cut thru the ice any smoother/faster than my $35 mora.....  Might be taking it back to cabelas for my $160
Didnt catch a damn thing! Guess you can say we took a lickn'
Tonights fish fry is gonna taste like chicken!
A Bad Day of Fishin' Beats a Good Day of Anything Else

Offline FelixD

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • R.I.P. Janurary 16, 2015
Re: Not too impressed
« Reply #1 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:10 PM »
HHMMM I tested an  8" at a derby one time and was very impressed...... May be the blade r bent or something?? I would say smoething is wrong withe the blades.
Politicians and diapers need to be changed for the same reason

Offline imob34

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:19 PM »
either something is wrong with it, or the way you are using it,  they are taller than moras but with the way they are designed to be used that isn't a problem        what diameter is the mora that you are comparing it to

Offline RynoIceMan

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:25 PM »
Mora is also an 8".... I dunno it just doesnt seem to be any better than my mora i dont know if somethings wrong with blades or what...... Just pulled it outta box and used it....
Didnt catch a damn thing! Guess you can say we took a lickn'
Tonights fish fry is gonna taste like chicken!
A Bad Day of Fishin' Beats a Good Day of Anything Else

Offline revice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:35 PM »
This is my 3rd season with my Nils and it still cuts through the ice like hot butter. I never noticed the height issue, I am 6' 5" ;)
No Judgments...Just Jesus...

Offline tightliner812

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:50 PM »
That would suck after spending that kind of money . I got a gift card to get a new auger for X- mas this year . I was thinking about getting the new lazer carbon fiber . but being it first year out and no reviews on it I didn't want to take the chance . So I just got the same thing that I had and liked before the 6" lazer.

Offline triggerman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 04, 2013, 12:55 PM »
I dont have a NILS but from what I understand if you are putting pressure on it, its no better than anything else, in fact the blades dull up faster with pressure, 

Offline minnowkeith

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:23 PM »
This will be the 8th year with the same blades on my 5'' lazer and it still cuts just fine. There is a big difference in drilling between a 6'' and a 5'' auger.
Leave nothing behind but your footprints

Offline SouthBend

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:30 PM »
I dont have a NILS but from what I understand if you are putting pressure on it, its no better than anything else, in fact the blades dull up faster with pressure,

That was my understanding too. I thought the whole reason it was taller and had the style hand grips it does was so you couldn't lean on it like a Mora.

Offline Curt

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2013, 01:32 PM »
Do not put downward pressure on your auger. Turn with both of your arms. It will cut by itself. It is a little awkward at first but you'll get used to it.

Offline wheatfield Tom

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 04, 2013, 04:51 PM »
I used my 6" nils today for the first time. I was very impressed and glad I spent the money. The only thing I still have to get used to is keeping it level. My first couple of holes were a little crooked.  No pressure needed.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.