The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: 10 Day forecast  (Read 1381 times)

Offline icefishing275

• Team IceShanty Regular
10 Day forecast
« on: Jan 03, 2013, 09:13 AM »
http://m.weather.com/10day/18708 here is the next 10 days where I live. Looks like average tenps and possibly a storm next friday.

Offline charlijones

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: 10 Day forecast
« Reply #1 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:38 AM »
That's a good outlook, of course the higher elevations will have even colder temps.

Safe and productive ice to you in 2013 from a native of Shavertown  ;D

Offline icefishing275

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:24 PM »
Haha thanks alot. Same to you!

Offline JPascavage52

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:27 PM »
Not too worried, the forecast here looked even worse for ice making yesterday.

The good thing is that the warm up is only a few days, and still cold at night, so it should maintain any ice already made.

Pro staff for:

Liquid Mayhem
Titan Tungsten
Lunker City
Toad Thumper Lures

Youtube channel:
www.youtube.com/johnpascavagefishing/videos

Offline icefishing275

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Ya i do think we will lose any ice

Offline bowhunter83

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:53 PM »
Looks good up here in Bradford County as well!! 
You pay the mortgage baby, I'll bring home the venison!!!

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 03, 2013, 12:55 PM »
I checked 10-day forecasts at a few places north to south PA and it doesn't look great to me.  As said previously here we'll likely hold on to what we have for ice.  But most places in PA don't have safe ice yet if at all.  My experience says you need night lows at 15F or lower to really start to do some ice building.  Also helps to go no higher than 35 during the day. 

We are right now in the prime time for ice making yet the night lows are not cooperating.  I sure hope we can wake up the weather gods to get back to normal with some super cold nights around here.  If we don't build some ice thickness soon then we'll have nothing to bank on when we get either a mid winter thaw or normal spring warm up when they come. 

Of course belly-aching about it doesn't change a darn thing so I'll quiet down now.  Just stating the facts as I see them.

Tight lines,
jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline mattanddebb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 03, 2013, 06:35 PM »
Weather near Harrisburg in the short term looks good for some ice, but next week they're calling for highs near 45.  This is Farm Show week - it's supposed to be cold and miserable!  Any good prospects for ice in south central PA this weekend?

Offline jig-jig THUMP

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • IceFishinFool!
« Reply #8 on: Jan 03, 2013, 11:18 PM »
Matt,
Safe ice in south central PA at this time?  You're kidding right?  Most lakes/ponds in the area have skim ice if any at all.

You definitely need to look north for any hope of safe ice soon.  Heck even ol' reliable Lake Jean, usually the first decent sized lake to freeze in PA, is struggling to get safe ice at this pt.

And yes, I'm seeing forecast for day highs near 40 or higher next week the Harrisburg area (night lows above freezing which really sets us back).  If that 10 day forecast holds true then I wouldn't be surprised to see all the skim ice on local waters disappear. 

The general rule of thumb is for lakes north of Rt 80 to freeze safe noticeably before those to the south.  Almost as though it is some kind of arctic boundary line.  Just food for thought. 

Sorry to burst your bubble.  But let's keep everybody safe.  Don't push that window of safety off to the side because we've been kept off the ice for too damn long.

Tight lines,
jjT

Happiness is watching the blip rise to the bait on my Vex!

Offline mattanddebb

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 04, 2013, 07:52 AM »
Thanks for the tips, jjT.  I'll look farther north!

Offline pa ice king

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 05, 2013, 10:53 AM »
The ten day forecast is not good at all.I see lots of 40'S and to much rain.
TEAM ICEHOLES

Offline gallitzinice

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Jan 05, 2013, 01:12 PM »
I wanted to get out today.  Could have got on a couple local places, but not to the spots where I usually do well.  Next week is going to eat away most of the ice there is in westcentral PA.  They're now talking about some significant cold coming in after that and hanging around awhile.  But if we get the upper 40's and a couple bouts of rain predicted for the next ten days before the cold comes in, it'll be almost starting over at the ice making and that in mid to late January. Still hoping to do some real ice fishing (where I can really get out and cover a lake rather than sittin in a corner patch of ice).  But even if that happens its going to be another short season, at best.  Bummer, but nothing you can do about it.  Took the bow out a couple hours this morning just to get out.

Offline StonecoldCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 05, 2013, 01:14 PM »
The ten day forecast is not good at all.I see lots of 40'S and to much rain.
http://www.accuweather.com/en/weather-news/nasty-cold-waves-could-be-in-t/3586088 There's still hope! A little rain and warm weather before the cold could fix this snow and white junk ice making Feb.and early March better.

Offline RAU

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 06, 2013, 09:49 AM »
The channel 16 Wilkes-barre news is predicting 52 degrees next Sat the 12th!!!! Man I hope it doesn't wreck what we have!!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:15 AM »
they cant forecast the next day worth beans,we will see what we get.

Offline silt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 06, 2013, 10:53 AM »
remember 45 and overcast is better than 38 and sunny

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.