Author Topic: Putting stuff away?  (Read 3820 times)

Offline 2 dogs

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
Putting stuff away?
« on: Mar 16, 2005, 05:08 PM »
Sadly the end of tipup season is here in Wi. Any new ideas for how to store my tipups, jig poles, Jiffy Auger, Lacrosse Ice King Boots, Shappell tent and other goodies other than the usual toss them in the basement corner and weep? :tipup: :-\
Good thing about prisons- they reduce the potential number of fisherman on the ice!

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Putting stuff away?
« Reply #1 on: Mar 16, 2005, 05:48 PM »
i put all my stuff for ice fishing in a duffle bag and hang it up in the corner till next year luckily here in NY we still have a little while left :tipup: but the time is coming :'(

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #2 on: Mar 16, 2005, 06:10 PM »
If you have a crawlspace under your stairs, or a closet somewhere put all of your gear organized in there. And you can rig it so when you open the door there is icefishing pictures on the walls and door. Light some candles, pull up a chair and snap open a cold one. Instant icefishing shrine to cure cabin fever! :)

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #3 on: Mar 16, 2005, 06:11 PM »
R.I.P. tipups
till next year (we salute you) on a job well done!!!

We still have lots of ice here in Maine and a bunch of us are hitting a Pike fishing adventure  this weekend.

Should be great with 43 degree weather. We've had a ton of snow and now were ready for some warm fishing weather. ;D

Offline C.C.

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • DO NOT BE AFRAID !!!!
« Reply #4 on: Mar 16, 2005, 08:21 PM »
I dont want to do it yet :'( :'( :'(. This saturday i've got to get a few more crappie's with my name on then I'll pack it up. I hope no one has a camera on me , I think i'm starting to cry.
      Jim

Offline Cargo

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 16, 2005, 08:34 PM »
We lost our ice about the 10th. The earliest ice out ever. Today i have been going through all my ice gear putting thing away! I miss my March ice fishing. I had a wonderful season looking forward to December!

Offline olds-Pa

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 16, 2005, 10:15 PM »
Season went out here on the 14th. Right now the tip-ups are at the foot of the bed where I can see them ocassionally. It seems like such a finality to put the stuff away so soon. Besides the wife will be letting me know soon when the time has officially arrived.  ;D

Offline adipose

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • WHAT OTHERS THINK OF ME IS NONE OF MY BUSINESS
« Reply #7 on: Mar 16, 2005, 11:08 PM »
heck ya dont have to quit yet.a short drive up to canada and your fishin for a while yet.still got 2.5 feet of ice yet here.big pike just startin to cruize the shallows.yikes!!dont put your hand down the hole your libel to loose it....ouch

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2005, 11:49 AM »
Roonie, that all depends on where you are headed in Canada. In my area we got all the ice you need but the season is closed. 

I also have a question, I bought my first windlass tip-up this season, when storing it, should I remove the spring? I dont want it to stretch out over the summer months. Any other suggestions

Offline BlindSquirrel

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2005, 07:35 PM »
I have added a ice fishing tote to my collection.  That now makes one for ice fishing, fishing, flyfishing, hunting, camping......  They work very well, and can be stored almost anywhere until needed.  You can even get fancy and get different colored ones for quick reference.
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut once in awhile.

Offline nepa old man

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Mar 18, 2005, 07:33 AM »
I leave my scout up in the basement all summer, keeps me pumped !!
Good Friends, Good Family, Good Food, Good Fishin.

Offline swantucky

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Mar 20, 2005, 06:39 PM »
 Hey B.S. I feel sorry for you.  I have about 10 totes for hunting , 3 for open water fishing, 2 for icefishing, and 2 for camping.  You really need to focus on what is important and spend less money on food and shelter and more on gear.  My wife cannot understand $300 on a fishing trip, yet we don't have the $$ for a new lazy-boy, women!!! By the way my ice gear is going in the basement today and I wanna cry like a little girl. See you goys next year!
Life is not measured by the number of breaths we take, but by the moments that take our breath away.

Offline bigbry68

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Mar 20, 2005, 10:47 PM »
Sorry to hear you guys are done . We still have a foot of ice here in northeast connecticut, starting to get soft to about 4 inches down, the fishing is getting real good though.Big bass are biting as well as the pike and 20+''pickeral. We will be planking it to the ice soon though. :tipup:

Offline Icenutter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 21, 2005, 07:01 AM »
All the warm weather and rain pretty much shot the lakes to **ll.  I decided to build a big shelf in my garage to help store my Trap this weekend.  I cleaned all my gear and put it  away and summerized the gas auger.  Had a great year and can't wait until next year.  Now its off to fish for summer smallies. 
Bring on the ice!!!!!!!  <br />      

Offline icejunky

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • TEAM ONTARIO
« Reply #14 on: Mar 21, 2005, 08:48 AM »
I re-did my office at home. I have put up some rod racks and shelving to house and display my gear. I also put up some framed photos from seasons past and made room in the closet for winter and summer gear.

Offline wackyworm

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Mar 21, 2005, 10:12 AM »
Packed my Clam guide away yeaterday....used the shop vac to suck up all the sawdust from the wax worms and mousey spills..... organized my tip-ups and stowed my ice rods.  propped her up in the corner of my shop and draped a sheet over the sled.  said a prayer and wiped a tear.....until next year.

Offline BlackIce

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Addict
  • R U Scared?
« Reply #16 on: Mar 22, 2005, 03:49 PM »
Might be time to put away the Trap Pro and get out the orange sled for some last ice fishing.  I have Monday and Tuesday off next week.  I hope to fish Monday yet and Tuesday I will put most of my stuff away and mourn for the day.  Wednesday I will get out the shotgun and get ready for trap shooting.
R.I.P. Grandpa D. 1-6-10

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #17 on: Mar 23, 2005, 01:28 AM »
I feel this pain all too well. I just store my tip ups, auger, scoops, cleats, shanty, and sled in the garage. I keep my vexilar in my room because I check to see it's running well every few months and will charge my batteries every two months.
I haven't been ice fishing in two weeks and I could have. And I could still ice fish for another two weeks on a couple high elevation lakes around here in Western Colorado as they still have safe ice, but noooo, my crotchety old dad is sick of ice fishing. HOW CAN YOU EVER GET SICK OF ICE FISHING? I mean seeing the fish on the vexilar and how is reacts to your bait, feeling the bite finally when you trick him, feeling him fight and shake and bend the rod and take line as he comes up through the hole. And looking at your tip ups and finally seeing a flag up. YAHOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO OOOOOOOOOOO. Then getting there, seeing the spool rapidly turning, then picking up the line, setting the hook, and feeling each little move of the fish. Nothing more exciting.
Now I love open water fishing and am greatly looking forward to catching bass and pike, and also trout, catfish, and walleyes. But sadly, till next year for ice fishing. I'm still gonna hang around the shanty a bit longer though.
 :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'( :'(
Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

hali-man

« Reply #18 on: Mar 23, 2005, 01:56 AM »
...but noooo, my crotchety old dad is sick of ice fishing. HOW CAN YOU EVER GET SICK OF ICE FISHING?

Hey Mack- Can't you go fishing without your dad?  8)

Offline butterworm

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • the presidents office.
« Reply #19 on: Mar 23, 2005, 10:13 AM »
...but noooo, my crotchety old dad is sick of ice fishing. HOW CAN YOU EVER GET SICK OF ICE FISHING?

Hey Mack- Can't you go fishing without your dad?  8)
he may not like going without his father. some people only fish with certain individuals. if that individual cannot go then his buddy does not go himself. i know people that are like that even when it comes up to hunting. :tipup:

hali-man

« Reply #20 on: Mar 23, 2005, 06:51 PM »
i know people that are like that even when it comes up to hunting.

I guess I just don't understand, Pearchin.
As you know, I would rather be by myself...

Especially when it comes to hunting!

Offline MikePike

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I caught you a delicious pike
« Reply #21 on: Mar 23, 2005, 07:39 PM »
I guess maybe its just me.. I like to fish alone, Maybe because i am a loner. But i like fishing with my dad But sometimes he is tired, or has to work so i go out alone. Besides, Most of the kids my age cant ice fish properly, and sometimes ruin my day. But a couple of my freinds arent to bad to go out every once and a while. ( i dont want them to discover my spot ;) )

Do the leaves of trees stay greener, in the autumn, does the colour of the sun, turn crimson white? Does a shadow come between us, in the winter?

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #22 on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:04 AM »
Oh I would go without him and I would go a lot more but I don't have a working vehicle right now nor a license. So I have to go where he wants to go.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

hali-man

« Reply #23 on: Mar 24, 2005, 02:34 AM »
Sorry to hear that, Mack.
I love fishing with my dad, but he hardly ever goes.
It's up to me.

8)

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
« Reply #24 on: Mar 24, 2005, 11:10 AM »
Im in Southeaster WI and we still have over a foot of good ice. Its going fast though. But anyway Ive been using light rigged tip ups for crappie fishing, dont pack up so soon!!!!! Never say die!!!!!!!!!! >:( >:( :tipup:
If you jig it...... They will come.

Offline mrlongbeard1

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Flags up and rods bent...
« Reply #25 on: Mar 25, 2005, 02:11 PM »
Got a small tear in my eye when I put my gear away today.The fish are biting better than they have been all winter.But when your not sure that your next step might let you join the Polar bear club then it is time to get the boat out. We're lucky enough to have open water close by all winter here in the Finger lakes area of NY. So have a great soft water season, see you all next winter..
When the ice is on. I'm on the ice.

Offline roverowner

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The sweet smell of success!
« Reply #26 on: Mar 26, 2005, 08:00 AM »

I'm getting ready for the big swap.  Plow, shovels, snowmobiles, ice fishing gear, etc into the storage building.  Camper, lawn mower, golf clubs, patio furniture out of the storage building.  Depressing, but exciting at thre same time.

RO

hali-man

« Reply #27 on: Mar 26, 2005, 08:29 AM »
Depressing, but exciting at thre same time.

A very good way to put it.  8)

Offline allenca

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Mar 26, 2005, 07:48 PM »
I'm a loner to fishing and hunting gives me a time to relax and get away from the house.
In Nothern Minnisota there is still lot's of ice I'll be fishing on hard water for another couple of weeks yet mostly sunnies and crappies sory to hear the rest of you are quiting for the year. :( :( :( :(

Offline archbishop

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Mar 26, 2005, 07:52 PM »
its not quiting when you dont have an option :tipup: your lucky with a couple more weeks we maybe have 1 week left of SAFE ice

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.