The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: perch assault mod...  (Read 1264 times)

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
perch assault mod...
« on: Jan 01, 2013, 10:41 AM »
I've been in love with my perch assault since day one, however I've had some problems with the teeny tiny two guides nearest the tiptop since then also. This season I seem to be fishing alot of 5-10° days. I finally snapped, I was looking through my rod collection and saw a rod that had very similar steel guides as the perch assault, only way larger diameter...the wheels started turning. Ive done this sort of thing before, and I've even built several other ice rods before, so I knew "I" could do it. So I sacrificed an old ice rod to the new year for two of its guides and proceeded to "hack" up my perch assault, all went well and it turned out GREAT!!! here's a couple pictures for you fellow perch assaulters to be jealous of ;D

The action is exactly the same and I couldn't be happier!

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: perch assault mod...
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:18 AM »
Nice work!  I wish I would of picked up one in Great Falls Big R when I had the chance, they seemed like they'd be a hoot.  I actually told myself no for once though, once you get to 13 or 14 rods, it starts getting ridiculous  ::)

Offline chucknduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:19 AM »
You can never have enough rods or jigs. I want a perch assault

Offline J_Edwards

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:28 AM »
Agreed  ;)  I went back the a couple days later to snag one, but they were all gone  :'(

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2013, 11:33 AM »
Nice work!  I wish I would of picked up one in Great Falls Big R when I had the chance, they seemed like they'd be a hoot.  I actually told myself no for once though, once you get to 13 or 14 rods, it starts getting ridiculous  ::)
Haha I have exactly 14 ice combos...worst part, I gave away about 6 rods last year. I have a problem

Offline perchSlayer95

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • team montana fishing team
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:46 PM »
i want an ice house version of the perch assault . . . a rod with the same action just a little smaller

sittin here waitin on a flag drinkin beer and wastin propane

Offline FeverToTell

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2013, 02:55 PM »
 :tipup:

Offline Cornbread

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2013, 05:13 PM »
Haha I have exactly 14 ice combos...worst part, I gave away about 6 rods last year. I have a problem

Yep, the problem is you gave away six rods, now you need to buy six more!

Offline adam_mcd

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 01, 2013, 07:55 PM »
I may have a problem too.  I started buying pinks one this year and put them in my wife's and duaghter's stocking.

IceCreeper

« Reply #9 on: Jan 01, 2013, 08:53 PM »
You mean to tell me they arnt perfect after all? :o

Offline Ice Junkie_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 02, 2013, 09:10 AM »
I'm at 22 rods and NEED more I think I might have a touch of "OCD"  ;D
Worst day of fishin I ever had was still damn good!

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #11 on: Jan 11, 2013, 08:08 AM »
So what do you think of the action of the rod now? We had found it really loads differently when we put the heavier guides on it...Whats it fish like?

Mike
www.aablefishing.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 11, 2013, 12:13 PM »
There is no difference whatsoever, the guides I used had the same length tang and are a similar light wire comparable to the tip top. I couldn't be happier with it! One of the main reasons I did it was because after constantly cleaning ice out of those guides I was slightly tweaking them and I felt like it wouldn't be long before I broke one clean off after wearing at them.

Offline PerchAssault

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Established 2006
« Reply #13 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:24 PM »
Cool. We will be introducing a 32" for 2014, and will have too see if we can source a guide like you used.

Fish on...

Mike
www.perchassault.com
If I\'m not fishing, I\'m probably thinking about fishing...And if I\'m thinking about fishing, I\'m probably not getting much else done so, I might as well go fishing...Yeah, I just said that!

Offline JCWINZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:40 PM »
I enjoy trying to build ice rods for different conditions and fish with an action I like.  Recently I took one of my old spin rods that I don't use and just cut it down from the tip about 28" and epoxied a handle on it, took all but 5 minutes and its has a pretty darn good action.  Part of the trouble I find in building a rod from scratch is finding the right blank and since you have to order them online there is no way to test before buying, luckily most are below $10 so it doesn't break the bank experimenting.

Offline lundin-loading

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 11, 2013, 06:47 PM »
so long as you get the solid blanks you can sand them to the action you prefer, but dont expect to get the action right on your first try!

Offline redneckrance

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Damn the Man
« Reply #16 on: Jan 14, 2013, 02:21 AM »
Damn!!!! I never thought of using rods I have broke and turning them into ice rods!!!!!! Crap Do you know how much money I could have saved! And the satisfaction of building my own. Mental note for sure!!!

Offline Ice Junkie_

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2013, 07:14 AM »
I've been in love with my perch assault since day one, however I've had some problems with the teeny tiny two guides nearest the tiptop since then also. This season I seem to be fishing alot of 5-10° days. I finally snapped, I was looking through my rod collection and saw a rod that had very similar steel guides as the perch assault, only way larger diameter...the wheels started turning. Ive done this sort of thing before, and I've even built several other ice rods before, so I knew "I" could do it. So I sacrificed an old ice rod to the new year for two of its guides and proceeded to "hack" up my perch assault, all went well and it turned out GREAT!!! here's a couple pictures for you fellow perch assaulters to be jealous of ;D
 (Image removed from quote.)
 (Image removed from quote.)
The action is exactly the same and I couldn't be happier!
The other issue I found besides cleaning the guides is sometimes the line slips through the tiny split that is in the last few guides, I will have to give this mod a go! thanks for the idea!
Worst day of fishin I ever had was still damn good!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.