Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: new to site - new to area  (Read 662 times)

Offline wind burnt

• IceShanty Rookie
new to site - new to area
« on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:34 AM »
I'm new to the area(cedar rapids) and new to the site too but not new to ice-fishing. Just been away from it for awhile raising a young family. Anyhow, spent 10+ years as a young man ice-fishing Vermont for pike using big live bait on tip-ups. Anyhow, starting over again with equipment and need some insight on some local places to buy some gear. I live a 1/2 hr west of cedar rapids and looking to spend time on Pleasant, Mac Bride, and a few smaller ponds if I can find them. Starting off I'll be needing a hand auger, a couple tip-ups, and a jig stick and a hint or two on the best jigs for eyes and crappie would be great. Great site and glad to be on board!

Offline HANDLINE2

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: new to site - new to area
« Reply #1 on: Dec 31, 2012, 07:45 AM »
Hey wind good to have you here. If you go to the Custom Jigs and Spoons web site you will find all the lures you need to ice fish. A couple of my favorites are Rat Finks and Diamond jigs for pan fish sizes #12 and 14. Poles, I use light action 24" with fly fishing reels. Good luck. RH
It's mind over matter, if you don't have a mind it don't matter.

Offline vexNclam

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 31, 2012, 01:24 PM »
I like to order my jigs from jamminjigs seems like the best prices and quality product. Also really fast shipping since they are in MN. Just my opinion.
Ice em and slice em!

Offline wind burnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2013, 04:42 PM »
*update*
vex - thanks for the tip on jamminjigs.com, I went an ordered a small assortment of jigs from them and am IMpatiently waiting for their arrival.
Went to Scheels in coralville and picked up some of the essentials. Lots of  good info from IS helped in making some good purchases and avoiding potential mistakes. Lots and lots of choices!
Drove around MacBride with the family and saw quite a few people out on the lake today and it really built the excitement to hit the ice tommorrow for the first time this season.
Hope everyone has a Happy New Year!

Offline Eyeseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:11 PM »
Hey wind burnt! I grew up around van horne area. Theres a few ponds qithin a half hr of you that  are usually productive. Some owners will give u permission. Some wont. Just have to ask around. At times hannen lake can b very good for HUGE crappies and 10inch + gills but its a crapshoot. . Better of knocking on doors around southern benton co.

Offline wind burnt

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:18 PM »
Van Horne IS my home and oddly enough I DID fish Hannen today!
First time wetting a line in Iowa waters so not too surprising I got skunked but had a good time with the family. Wife and kids ice-skated and I drilled a few holes and fished. Good ice about 7" and saw 2 bald eagles to boot! Probably missed the early and late bites as we were only there 1-3pm.

Offline Eyeseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:28 PM »
Sounds like a good QUALITY day on the ice then. Iv been fishin hannen aince b4 i could walk. Now i take mydaughter there more for sentimental reasons then anything else. I know we arent goin to catch much, usually, but sumtimes theres more to it then catchin a limit. Sounds like you know exactly wat i mean. How long hav u lived in v.h?

Offline Eyeseeker

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 02, 2013, 08:36 PM »
Another place u might wanna try are the sandpits in marengo. Due to the low river levels this year theyre probably gonna b a bust this winter. Might b better off goin another 20minutes south to lake iowa. Quite a few average sized crappies and some big redears in there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.