Author Topic: LBDN thread  (Read 9768 times)

Offline Beenmarkinemalot

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Don't rip it's lips off!
Re: LBDN thread
« Reply #60 on: Feb 15, 2013, 01:45 PM »
Nice job! It's only going to get better.
The deeper the water the sweeter the meat.

Offline slushbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #61 on: Feb 15, 2013, 08:37 PM »
WTG kidder!  Down in Ludington now.  Stocked up on refreshments and heading that way tomorrow night.  From what i understand we will be meeting at Gladstone and going to the shack from there.

Offline slushbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:30 PM »
Kidder, never heard from ya...oh well wind must of kept ya in.  Eyes are super slow. Did alot of moving today with lord knows how man dinks untill later.  Got some better fish just off the break.  Time for sleep for tonight.  Good luck to ya.

PK, thanks for the perch hunny hole!  You were right about the bait.  Fun watching them try to take it from each other....really mean it, thanks again.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #63 on: Feb 18, 2013, 12:33 PM »
Anyone else have any reports? I would really like to make the trip down at least one more time this season...

What about BBDN, anyone hear of any Burbot being caught yet?

Offline Any Luc

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #64 on: Feb 18, 2013, 02:41 PM »
I read a report and saw a photo of seven pout taken in one outing on BBDN a couple days ago.
Are they not caught regularly in LBDN?

I'm hoping for some late night snacks while we're there and hope too that Pinecreek has that sleeper house set in a convenient area.

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Feb 18, 2013, 06:29 PM »
Sorry i didn't get out to meet ya slush bucket. Was fishing the evenings and mornings doing pretty well. 27 and 29 incher sunday. Another 28 and a 17 this morning all eyes. Didn't make it out this evening but i will be out again tmr evening. Haven't been targeting whites much because the daytime has been busy for me at home.

Offline slushbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Feb 19, 2013, 10:54 AM »
Kidder, watch out coming out of Kipling...new fracture came up and it changed everything.  Those red cones you see to your left, we found a place to cross just to the right coming on.  We came off ice at day break and found it.  Some chunks 3-4 feet tall not counting the rise from the pressure crank.  Hope it helps.

Kind of rough out here now.

Offline Yooper18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Feb 19, 2013, 11:23 AM »
Is the new fracture to the left of Butlers? Haven't been out there in a week but just curious for when I go next!

Offline slushbucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #68 on: Feb 19, 2013, 06:52 PM »
Out of kipling about 200-250 yards out.  Looks to start were that point comes out there on the right.  Runs north and bends back to the left bank.  The other is just past that north bend and runs out of sight bending to the east.

Hope it helps, good luck.

Offline gamehawg

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #69 on: Feb 19, 2013, 09:14 PM »
Congrats on the eyes Kidder!  I am coming up from northern Indiana next weekend. How did the ice by Escanaba hold up to the ice breaker and all the wind lately?

Offline Mtuyooper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #70 on: Feb 25, 2013, 05:50 AM »
Ice is holding up well out of the Esky harbor. The channel is open and tugs come through occasionally. Action on the whities is slow, one or two a day is about it. Lots of them on the flasher...

We tried for burbot last night, not a bite. Anyone ever done well off of the Escanaba harbor for them? I'm currently in 70 feet or so.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #71 on: Feb 25, 2013, 07:40 PM »
Off of Gladstone Harbor today... It sucked. Marked a ton of fish with only one small bump.

Offline Chris Raymond

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Lifelong Outdoorsman
« Reply #72 on: Feb 26, 2013, 06:50 AM »
We tried for burbot last night, not a bite. Anyone ever done well off of the Escanaba harbor for them? I'm currently in 70 feet or so.

I'd go a little shallower.  Personally, I prefer to find 45' - 55' (maybe even more shallow) on a flat just inshore of a main contour break. 
Chris Raymond

Offline mazak730

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #73 on: Feb 27, 2013, 12:34 AM »
heading up there this weekend. are people getting around on 4 wheelers ok? i got a sled i can bring up but its not all setup for ice fishin

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #74 on: Feb 27, 2013, 10:01 AM »
Was on the bay this morning with the truck. No problems as long as you avoid visable slush and drifts by shacks. I crossed buttlers 50' south of the orange flag. 1 short walleye and 1 about 18".
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #75 on: Feb 27, 2013, 02:30 PM »
I will be going to the area for the first time ever. I have fished all over the UP just not in that area. Any advice on where to head first? Or if anyone wants to meet out there a couple of us will be there all weekend. We are packing a flasher and plenty of equipment but are just unsure about driving out on the ice. Any info is appreciated and I am willing to exchange for info on any other areas around.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #76 on: Feb 27, 2013, 02:47 PM »
I will be going to the area for the first time ever. I have fished all over the UP just not in that area. Any advice on where to head first? Or if anyone wants to meet out there a couple of us will be there all weekend. We are packing a flasher and plenty of equipment but are just unsure about driving out on the ice. Any info is appreciated and I am willing to exchange for info on any other areas around.

Anywhere from the gladstone harbor and north is absolutely loaded with trucks. Not a ton of snow on the ice, but there are some snow drifts from where permanent shanties were. Stay clear of them and you'll be fine. I am yet to find any slush on the bay yet either.

As for the fishing... Slow. Everywhere.

Offline gofish22

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #77 on: Feb 27, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Thanks for info. Have wanted to fish it for a long time now and finally heading down. We are running out of weekends so it will be fun to just get out there. Plus with this week being warmer and the small temp drop on friday could make the big guys bite.

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #78 on: Mar 06, 2013, 12:13 AM »
Went out monday night and marked about 15 fish. Managed to ice 1 eater eye and 1 perch. Tonight was a little better. Iced 3 eyes. A 21", 17", and a 16". Also lost another 20ish at the hole. Missed a few light bites also. Ill be out quite a bit till wally season ends. The bite seems to be picking up.

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #79 on: Mar 06, 2013, 01:17 AM »
nice, congrats

Offline eric5ooo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #80 on: Mar 06, 2013, 05:51 AM »
I was up there with a group of 4 all weekend and we ended up with a total of 5 perch, 1 whitefish, 2 15" eye and a 20" eye. We were getting marks pretty constantly but they just were not taking it. Heard a lot of people saying the same thing. Lady at the Gladstone bait shop said a woman just came in there to weigh a 12lb walleye before we stopped in Saturday morning though! Wish I coulda hooked up with that one!

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #81 on: Mar 07, 2013, 08:59 PM »
Fished tonight again.  Marked around 12 fish. Landed an 18", lost a 20 ish at the hole then landed a 25".

Offline Yooper18

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Mar 08, 2013, 08:39 PM »
Nice fish Kidder, thes all from off the harbor?

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #83 on: Mar 09, 2013, 05:19 PM »
Been moving around alot. Some spots shut off while others are picking up finally.

Offline Kidder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Mar 11, 2013, 11:41 AM »
Iced another eye this morning. 20". Lost a hog at the hole. Only marked 5 fish. Lake is sloppy

Offline Rick Larson

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hoping for a walleye
Jumbo Perch and a Walleye Surprise!
« Reply #85 on: Mar 16, 2013, 08:37 PM »
Closed out the season in the normal LBDN Grind. The fish added up over the course of 2+ days of fishing, and made for a pleasant drive home. I made a teaser video and plan to make a full length version, so I want to save the details for the movie. This will get you going:

Offline mark4493

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #86 on: Mar 18, 2013, 12:56 PM »
Awesome, I can't wait to see the full video.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #87 on: Apr 05, 2013, 08:23 AM »
anyone know what the ice conditions are like on the bay for truck travel? was thinking of heading down for some perch fishing and would like to drive out if at all possible  :tipup:

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #88 on: Apr 05, 2013, 01:31 PM »
I was out yesterday(thurs) with the 4 wheeler and saw several trucks.  There is still about 24" ice on the main bay but its much thinner close to shore. Hunters point has open water and so does Saunders point. Lots of it ! Personally I would not take a truck if your going anywhere near the narrows(the area where a few perch are being caught). I suspect someone will fall threw with a truck at butlers Island this weekend.
Good fishin, be safe.
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline browning13

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Can't get enough of the hardwater
« Reply #89 on: Apr 09, 2013, 10:39 AM »
I know its late but I ended up fishing for a few hours on Friday. I was targeting perch but the bite was slow, I did mark a lot of whitefish. Ended up driving my truck out from hunter's point and found 24-26" of ice on the main lake. Shoreline had some soft spots in shallow but was solid enough to get out. I expect the bay to be frozen for a while yet but vehicle travel may be about done for the year.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.