Author Topic: Time to go Sonar...another 'Which' thread...Showdowns...Troller or 5.6?  (Read 596 times)

Offline WBNH

• IceShanty Rookie
Howdy all...

...I've read everything I could search regarding flashers, and believe I've settled on one of the vertical display Marcum's...the question I have is is it worth the extra hundred dollars for the Showdown 5.6, or just stick with the budget and get the Troller with Performance pack?

True, I wish they were in color instead of gray scale (and with my luck a color one will come out a month after I buy), but being silent, digital and potentially upgradable, not to mention most everything I've read in my searches, has got me sold. 

Is adjustable zoom vs bottom lock only and a couple of inches of display worth and extra $100.   ???

Thanks if you can point me in the right direction.
Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
– Mark Twain, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
The Troller is designed if you hole hop a lot and is significantly smaller than the Showdown 5.6.  I like the adjustable zoom because I can focus at any depth rather than being only able to look at the bottom.  The Showdown 5.6 will automatically zoom on the bottom 1/4 of the water colum but if the fish are at say 12 feet in 30 feet of water that's where I want to zoom into if they're hitting.  Initially I turn off the zoom all together to see what's going on in the entire water colum.  As for the color part don't feel bad I have the same luck as you.  I bought the Showdown 5.6 Dual Beam last year and love it.  Personally that's what I would get, I like the dual beam because if I'm fishing in structure I can go smaller and not get shadows of the beam.  Marcum has some videos on their page that you might want to watch about how this is helpful.  As I said I'd spend the extra $100 now rather than $400 later.  Besides it's nice to have the ability to use the added features if you want to rather than wanting to and not being able to.

Offline WBNH

• IceShanty Rookie
Thanks....

...I'm inclined to agree  that it's better to have and not use features, than to want features and not have them...  But want and afford tend to interact poorly with each other.   Oh well....you've got me thinking if I'm going to splurge, might as well splurge big, and hope that January raise is bigger than I expect it to be.   :)   Now who to patronize, Reeds or Glen's?  Good prices at both.  haven't dealt with either.   None of my local spots carry MarCum.

Good Fishing!
Persons attempting to find a motive in this narrative will be prosecuted; persons attempting to find a moral in it will be banished; persons attempting to find a plot in it will be shot.
– Mark Twain, Adventures of Huckleberry Finn

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
 I dont know about what Showdown to get but I live 1 hour and 20 min from Reeds Mille Lacs outpost, and 15 min from Cabelas and I will always pick Reeds Great service and will always help you out. they also price match
Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Don't forget the ice troller has 2" target separation and the showdown 5.6 has 0.5" target separation.

Ice troller 2.0 ($199)+ Pack ($50) + Battery ($20)= $270
Showdown 5.6 with everything included = $349

Worth it IMO.... And for another $50 you can get the showdown 5.6 dual beam which IMO is needed if you fish waters over 20-30 feet.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline bquick

• Team IceShanty Addict
I own both and right now, but I think I am going to sell my 5.6 dual beam.  The problem for me is that I just don't fish lakes that require a dual beam and I like the troller 2.0.  It fits my style better.  If the ajustable zoom and dual beam is what you need then go for it.  They are both great products and Marcum is top notch in customer service!

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
The Showdown Dual Beam in most places is $399.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.