Author Topic: Choosing a flasher?  (Read 7915 times)

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
Choosing a flasher?
« on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:09 PM »
I was looking at various flashers and found the Showdown and really liked how it looked but not sure if a color flasher would be better than the showdown? I fish in anywhere from 5 to about 50 foot at the most. I also like the sounds of the vex fl-18 ultra pack. Just looking for a flasher that will give me the most bang for my buck. If anyone has their input I'm all ears!!

Thanks, tom

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Choosing a flasher?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:14 PM »
Showdown is a good one if you don't mind a black and white display. If you want a standard flasher, get the marcum vx-1P. Same features as the vexilar fl-18 yet better target separation and display... and about $200 cheaper (on sale for $250 ish vs $450 for fl-18). A humminbird ice 45 might be a good one for you also, if you want to spend around $400.

Both the marcum and humminbird will kick the snot out of the vex when it comes to bang for your buck. With vexilar you are buying their name, with the rest you are buying a flasher.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Duncan77

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 26, 2012, 06:51 PM »
Tom,
   Sounds like you got it figured out (Showdown). all the flashers will do is mark bottom, jig and fish. it is up to you if you want to catch them, no flasher has ever caught a fish. if you fish alot go with the one that you want to look at for hours on end. your first choice is showdown go with that. our first instinct is about 80 % right. good luck

Don't try to change me, my wife said that's her job.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
« Reply #3 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:48 PM »
When I frist started looking at the flashers I also thought I wanted a Showdown because I thought the vertical display would be much easier to read than a round dial. But after using a flasher for a year now TO ME it is much easier  to read than the Showdown. It is nice to have the different colors other than black and grey. I'm not bashing the Showdown at all I'm just giving my opinion here so don't everyone jump on me. This is just want I have observed in my two years of using electronics on the ice. Will A Showdown help you caught more fish YES. Will a Showdown make you caught more fish then a guy using a flasher,PROBABLY not. IMO the best deal out there right now is a Marcum LX5 at Sportsmanguide for $431 with free shipping. Whatever you choose will be a big help on the ice and will put alot more fish on the ice.
 Good Luck!
 Matt

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:59 PM »
Showdown is a good one if you don't mind a black and white display. If you want a standard flasher, get the marcum vx-1P. Same features as the vexilar fl-18 yet better target separation and display... and about $200 cheaper (on sale for $250 ish vs $450 for fl-18). A humminbird ice 45 might be a good one for you also, if you want to spend around $400.

Both the marcum and humminbird will kick the snot out of the vex when it comes to bang for your buck. With vexilar you are buying their name, with the rest you are buying a flasher.

Whoa!!  Slow down high speed!!  Vexilar is more than just a name, I have used them for years and will continue too!  My vex does everything "your" almighty Marcum does, I know... hard to believe...right!!  Dont get me wrong I have seen the Marcum in action, it is a nice machine, however  push come to shove I will always take my fl20. Bottom line is they are ALL great flashers, find which one YOU  like the best

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:08 PM »
 I agree. I have used both the Vex FL 22 and now a LX5. I can honestly say they r pretty equal. The only reason I went to the LX 5 is I got a really good deal on one or else I prob would have went back to the FL22. Its the Ford and Chevy truck all over again! Both will do the same job one my have an option the other doesn't but in the end they will both get you from point A to point B. Study all the units that look like you would be interested in and then post some questions and get some feed back. Users are the best source of knowledge you will find. Don't get caught up in the Vex VS Marcum drama. They are both good units and will show you what you need to know as will the Showdown.
 Good Luck!
  Matt

Whoa!!  Slow down high speed!!  Vexilar is more than just a name, I have used them for years and will continue too!  My vex does everything "your" almighty Marcum does, I know... hard to believe...right!!  Dont get me wrong I have seen the Marcum in action, it is a nice machine, however  push come to shove I will always take my fl20. Bottom line is they are ALL great flashers, find which one YOU  like the best

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:18 PM »
Vex has no movable zoom, costs more,lower power,case is extra,has poor seperation,only 2 blended fuzzy colors.... I just don't see where any Vex has what Marcum offers....These are many of the reasonsI sold my beloved Vex's and now own Marcums

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:23 PM »
Vex has no movable zoom, costs more,lower power,case is extra,has poor seperation,only 2 blended fuzzy colors.... I just don't see where any Vex has what Marcum offers....These are many of the reasonsI sold my beloved Vex's and now own Marcums

Yes!!! we ALL know YOU are unbelievably pro MARCUM.....

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:35 PM »
Yes!!! we ALL know YOU are unbelievably pro MARCUM.....
X2 I can't believe how much he talks them up. It really is unbelievable. Hes got to be getting paid...

Any flasher will mark a fish if it is within the cone. Power does not matter. Choose whatever flasher you feel fits you best for what is in your price range. I will say that if your looking for bang for your buck that either a marcum or a humminbird is what you should be looking at.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:38 PM »
X2 I can't believe how much he talks them up. It really is unbelievable. Hes got to be getting paid...

Any flasher will mark a fish if it is within the cone. Power does not matter. Choose whatever flasher you feel fits you best for what is in your price range. I will say that if your looking for bang for your buck that either a marcum or a humminbird is what you should be looking at.

It makes ya wonder??

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:41 PM »
I did forget to mention Marcum is made in the USA....And no I'm not paid by anyone I pay for all my toys....I wouldnt want to be tied to only 1 company as history shows someone someday will come out with something better.....And your right they all show fish just some do it better than others.....I was as dedicated to my Vex's when I ran them to but open minded enough to tryout new and better things....About the only brand of anything I'll never stray from is my GMC trucks....

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:46 PM »
I did forget to mention Marcum is made in the USA....And no I'm not paid by anyone I pay for all my toys....I wouldnt want to be tied to only 1 company as history shows someone someday will come out with something better.....And your right they all show fish just some do it better than others.....I was as dedicated to my Vex's when I ran them to but open minded enough to tryout new and better things....About the only brand of anything I'll never stray from is my GMC trucks....

CMON MAN, this is beyond "dedication" any thread on this site that have anything to do with flashres you are all over it, with the MIGHTY MARCUM is the best, everything else lacks!!!  Really, you are not getting paid by them....

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:49 PM »
Don't get me wrong I have a humminbird 35 and my friend uses an fl-20. I'd take his 20 over my bird any day. It's my first flasher and the price was right and so were the options. For the original poster looking for his first flasher, we are all just offering him our advice like he asked for.

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 26, 2012, 09:53 PM »
Ya Philly, you are right ., My bad They all work great, and mark fish and depth. Any of the brands is sweet and is better than nothing, and in MY opinion work a hell of alot better than a camera

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #14 on: Dec 26, 2012, 10:59 PM »
I was trying to make the same decission last year and decided to go with the Showdown Dual Beam.  I like the vertical display and it seemed alot easier to understand than a circle with flashing colors.  I did consider the Vexilars but eliminated them due to price for the features they offered and significantly less peak to peak power (which from everything I've read the more power the more accurate the unit).  One other thing that helped form my decission was when I called Marcum they talked with me for a half hour and answered my questions along with explaining it rather than just saying yes or no.  I don't have a problem with it being black and white since it was my first unit and if it came in color I'd buy one.  It's simple to use and you'll have it all figured out in five to ten minutes.

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Dec 27, 2012, 05:52 AM »
Thanks for all the good info!!  And some interesting entertaining conversations haha.  I found some vex flashers on the site that are refurbished and they have an fl 18 ultra pack for $399 and a fl 20 ultra pack for $464. Is it with the little extra to go with the fl20?  I'm leaning toward the vex's now because they are tried and true and I like how their cases are with the tackle box and rod holders and their all around setup seems like it would fit my needs. And I don't necessarily need the variable zoom I fish panfish and walleye mostly and 99 percent of the time the walleye are in he bottom 6 foot and panfish 99.99 percent in the bottom 6 foot.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:40 AM »
I just can't get my head around wanting to buy something that is used, comes with less features and still cost more than the competition.....to each there own.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:44 AM »
I would go with the fl20. I really like the flat face but that's my opinion.
Good luck!
Matt

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:08 AM »
More power does not make for a better unit. Do your research.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Dec 27, 2012, 07:23 AM »
Thanks for all the good info!!  And some interesting entertaining conversations haha.  I found some vex flashers on the site that are refurbished and they have an fl 18 ultra pack for $399 and a fl 20 ultra pack for $464. Is it with the little extra to go with the fl20?  I'm leaning toward the vex's now because they are tried and true and I like how their cases are with the tackle box and rod holders and their all around setup seems like it would fit my needs. And I don't necessarily need the variable zoom I fish panfish and walleye mostly and 99 percent of the time the walleye are in he bottom 6 foot and panfish 99.99 percent in the bottom 6 foot.
It depends on if you like the flat screen or not. If the few extra bucks isn't a problem I'd say go for the 20 and you'll be a happy customer.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #20 on: Dec 27, 2012, 10:04 AM »
The FL22 has 1" target separation and if you only see 2 colors on a vex ya need yer eyes tested. I get on other forums and you bash vex everytime someone mentions flasher. I like the blended colors on the vex for reasons of my own and I own both vex and marcum. We all know how you feel now.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Talls92

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Dec 27, 2012, 05:47 PM »
I just can't get my head around wanting to buy something that is used, comes with less features and still cost more than the competition.....to each there own.

Refurbished doesn't necessarily mean used it could just be a factory fault just like EVERYTHING else made has faults and it was exchanged for a new one then vex fixed what was wrong with it and kaboom comes out a new unused machine with all the faults fixed. Plus I figure I can get a better model or the same price as lower grade one and I know nothing is going to be wrong with it cause it was pre tested I guess you could say.

Still a very hard decision between the marcum and vex. The case the vex had is a HUGE plus for me also it can have a soft protective case like the marcum over it if needed. And if my research is correct I can get the fl 20 refurb for $464 witch is less than the lx 5. Also the fl 20 is normally around $550 to $600 from what I've found. So it's just the options that are holding me back now.

Offline ducati

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 27, 2012, 05:59 PM »
Good enough.  One thing is for sure, whichever one you decide on it will get the job done.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:05 PM »
LX-5 here http://www.profishingsupply.com/flashers/lx-5.htm for $489.99 no tax free shipping , for the difference the 5 is a much better unit than the 20 and brand new not refurbed....

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:06 PM »
The FL22 has 1" target separation and if you only see 2 colors on a vex ya need yer eyes tested. I get on other forums and you bash vex everytime someone mentions flasher. I like the blended colors on the vex for reasons of my own and I own both vex and marcum. We all know how you feel now.

Meant to say 2 colors blendedto make the third color, was loaded on NyQuill so cut me some slack SD boy....

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:13 PM »
Sportsmanguide has the LX 5 on sale for $431.99 with free shipping and no tax as long as u don't live in MN. Either unit will do the job u need but if u want to save $34 and have a soft case look up the www.sportsmanguide.com.
 Good Luck
  Matt

Refurbished doesn't necessarily mean used it could just be a factory fault just like EVERYTHING else made has faults and it was exchanged for a new one then vex fixed what was wrong with it and kaboom comes out a new unused machine with all the faults fixed. Plus I figure I can get a better model or the same price as lower grade one and I know nothing is going to be wrong with it cause it was pre tested I guess you could say.

Still a very hard decision between the marcum and vex. The case the vex had is a HUGE plus for me also it can have a soft protective case like the marcum over it if needed. And if my research is correct I can get the fl 20 refurb for $464 witch is less than the lx 5. Also the fl 20 is normally around $550 to $600 from what I've found. So it's just the options that are holding me back now.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:18 PM »
Keep in mind the softcase for the 20 will cost you $30-$40 to, those are extras....

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:23 PM »
Keep in mind the softcase for the 20 will cost you $30-$40 to, those are extras....
[/qu

Marcum or die!!!!!   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:26 PM »
[/qu

Marcum or die!!!!!   :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Wouldnt you like to know what extras will cost after your initial purchase of anything? But after 5 years of my 5 next to a 20 the 5 is a much better unit...

Offline fishinfiend

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Dec 27, 2012, 06:34 PM »
LOL, whatever man, you are the Flasher expert!!  :bow: Honestly though you either worked for Vex and got canned or Marcum is throwing you a bone, I mean your relentless Anti-anything but Marcum is trully amazing.  I almost feel bad for owning a Vex now :woot:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.