Author Topic: Salmon bait  (Read 5589 times)

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
Salmon bait
« on: Mar 09, 2005, 07:31 AM »
What is the best salmon bait to use besides smelt. We can't use smelt on Lake George and I was wondering if there was any other type of minnow that they would hit better than others? Thanks.
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline MikeVT

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Salmon bait
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2005, 10:17 AM »
I have caught a few on icicles this year, set just underneath the ice.  I hope to get a few more if I can keep the snowmobilers away from my tip ups.  Good luck and tight lines.
A bent rod is a good rod!

Offline adkRoy

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Beware of squirrels playing banjos
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2005, 11:20 AM »
I know wha tyou mean about the snowmobilers. they are bad on Lake George this year. The salmon we landed on LG was caught on a tip-up baited with a hunt. Just trying to find the bes alternative to a smelt.  :-\
New York State Ranger School Alumni 1994[

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2005, 05:05 PM »
Look, catching a LandLock on George is not a common occurence anymore. My buddies got three one day, I got none. We wre using hte exact same setup in the same exact spot. After that, we didn't get anymore for the rest of the season. If you still want to fish for these beauties, I would use hunts from 307...or smelt! :whistle:

Offline WVBoy

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "I am haunted by water." - Norman Maclean -
« Reply #4 on: Mar 10, 2005, 11:51 PM »
Emerald shiners work great and cheap!
"Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths." - Jimmy D Moore

Offline ifishhi

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 03, 2006, 09:22 PM »
emerald shiners are my favorite i'll take them over a smelt any day.

M.P.H.C. freedomfighter #000004

Offline BowSlayerVT

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 15, 2006, 08:00 PM »
Had a lot of strikes on Rosie Red, and I concur. Snowmobile rs Suck. They have plenty of trails without going through peoples tip-ups. I sure wish my wardens would say somethin when the see it. It's just as bad as someone walking up in the summer and throwing rocks where your fishing! If you read the laws it says "Interfering with the legal taking of fish or game is illegal."

Offline Golden Luther

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Trophy Fish and Me Don't Get Along
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2006, 01:55 PM »
I have caught a few on icicles this year, set just underneath the ice.  I hope to get a few more if I can keep the snowmobilers away from my tip ups.  Good luck and tight lines.
What is it about snowmobiles and tip ups?  I maen you got a whole lake and you gotta scream y the tips.  I don't set up on there main paths but they feel obligated to whizz past me.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.