• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Orman
« Reply #30 on: Jan 15, 2013, 02:48 PM »
Thanks for the advice, hope to see you out there

Offline jgouldin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 15, 2013, 09:38 PM »
I have had 8in perch choking on 6 to 7in and up to 8in shiners every year.    I have caught perch from 10 to 36 (havent been deeper) everytime i have gone out and every place i have fished.  They come in big schools most of the time and have had perch up to 12in couple years ago we had them 14 to 15 in.
Gouldin

Offline CTG57

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:30 PM »
I know SD GFP netted 5,000 perch out of deerfield two summers ago and I believe they dumped them in orman.  The perch in deerfield were plentiful, but seemed to lack size last few years.  after they netted them out, I've heard of better reports of perch size from deerfield...

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #33 on: Jan 15, 2013, 10:33 PM »
I think they actually netted them early this summer.  I might be mistaken though.  From my only trip to deerfield this year, I didn't notice a size different.  Out of about 100 perch caught, I don't think one was over 8.5-9 inches

Offline natures nook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #34 on: Jan 21, 2013, 12:05 PM »
Dont give up on catchin some nice fish.  Seems they are usually slow for a while in early winter.  Gonna keep tryin.  Let you know when something good starts to happen!?

Offline fireandice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 27, 2013, 08:20 AM »
Anybody have any new tips or tricks for orman? I'm thinking about hitting it on Saturday. Heard from a buddy that the perch bite was hot early last week, but I would like to catch some eyes, what type of lures, bait, presentation, location, depths, and what not should a guy know, any secrets you can pm me I've only caught a couple eyes ever out of orman and would love to get my first eye out of the ice! Thanks in advance

Offline natures nook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #36 on: Jan 27, 2013, 09:46 AM »
Just srarted catchin some out last week.  it hasnt been easy.  We were of the north side of gadens in from 12-20 FOW. Fishin with good size shiners.  Not sure if thats where they are holding or if we just happened to find em on their way to breakout.  They were all plenty healthy and quit a few had to go back because of the slot but it was nice to see eyes comin through the hole!!

Offline KingCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #37 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:07 PM »
are the edges ok to get on by Gaden's? Open water by the dam.

Offline SDFlagChaser

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #38 on: Jan 28, 2013, 07:56 PM »
I hope there isn't any open water by the dam, because I was fishing there this afternoon.  Not sure about the gadens side, but by the dam it is frozen to the shore, but there are big heaves you have to walk through.  Ice is great once you get a couple feet out. 

Offline jgouldin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #39 on: Jan 28, 2013, 08:44 PM »
I was off gadens today....   about 2ft of water and then 6 feet of soft ice( maybe 2in).  then when you get out good ice but watch out for the pressure breaks, with them letting so much water in  it is hard to see them and i have found 3 bad spots in the last 2 days.   1) north of the dam by cedar trees about 20ft from shore and about 4 feet wide. 2) about 12 feet  north of gadens and about 1ft wide. 3) about 100 yards north of gadens about 20ft of water and 2ft wide.  all of these areas have less then a inch of ice and i bet many places on the lake are the same be safe out there.
Gouldin

Offline natures nook

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2013, 12:35 PM »
Good report but I didnt see any of the open spots.  Edges werent very good though.  I just used a pallet and a 10' board and walk on.  Thank goodness for this cold spell or ice fishin out there would have been over n we just started to catch some.

Offline KingCat

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #41 on: Jan 29, 2013, 09:39 PM »
Saw the open water just north of dam, 25 yards out. Should be sealed up now, but more water coming in isn't helping...

Offline chapsbuck

• IceShanty Rookie
  • 605-690-4369
« Reply #42 on: Feb 11, 2013, 10:13 PM »
Be careful on Orman if you go out.  Gadens points was completely open today.  Saw alot of open water all over the place...
Chappy

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.