Author Topic: FL22 or LX5?  (Read 4592 times)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • "EVERYDAY IS A HOLIDAY"
FL22 or LX5?
« on: Dec 17, 2012, 11:02 PM »
Okay heres the history of the past two years of my ice fishing. I started out with just a camera which was great but if the water is dirty ur screwed. So i bought a H-Bird 345C which was great but my buddy bought a FL18 and it was pretty awesome so I ended up buying an FL22 HD at the end of the season. I used it all last year then sold the FL22 and got the LX 7. I don't know why but I just didn't care for the LX 7 screen. I know everyone is probally thinking I'm nuts but it just seemed alittle much for me. I have sold the LX7 and was going to order another FL22 but I started reading on the LX5 and may be swayed towards one of them. Of course my buddy with the FL18 is telling me I will be selling it at the end of the year to get another FL22. IS there anybody out there that went form a FL22 to an LX 5? Or vise versa? Thanks for the input!
  Matt

Offline mpike2day

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: FL22 or LX5?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2012, 12:19 AM »
Have never used the vex but own the lx5 and love it. Either one would be better than none. Mostly a preference, marcum had free shipping and 50rebate when   I got it two yrs ago.

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2012, 04:57 AM »
FL-22  @)
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2012, 06:28 AM »
I currently have FL-22, LX-5, and LX-7, I love the 7 over the others because of the big screen and the amount of adjustability of the unit and the fish / lure marks are much finer than any of the others listed; I realize that the LX-7 is not for everyone so between the the 22 and 5 I would take the 5. I won the LX-5 last year in a tournament and purchased the FL-22 at the beginning of the ice season last year.

The main reasons I like the 5 over the 22 is the adjustable zoom, fine line markings, quiet, better separation, dual beam transducer (standard)

The main things I do not like about the 22 are the blob marks and the noise

I ran the FL-18 for a number of years and it was a great unit, I did not realize how noisy the vexs are until I got the 7 and then the 5. The reality of it is they are all great units, it really comes down to your preferences, how you fish, what you fish for, etc. Vex and Marcum each have outstanding customer support and good solid units.

Two of the guys I fish with have sold their Vex's recently and have bought LX-5's after using mine last year.

Here is an Astronomy lesson - The world revolves around the sun, not you!

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2012, 06:53 AM »
How do you guys like your lx5 in shallow water weeds? Can you dial it down enough to see through the weeds good? See real bottom? I toyed with greeting one a couple years ago but have not used one on ice for myself.The FL 20 I use is good unit with large display and I really like the night mode for the lights.buddy runs fl22 nice unit as well. 10 ft increments are really nice. Is the zoom on lx5a pain when hole hopping?
Fishin red lines

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:05 AM »
I don't find the zoom to be a pain when hole hopping and have not had any trouble with weeds or shallow water.

Offline BWB

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 18, 2012, 11:47 AM »
LX-5 - I've had mine for 6 years with zero issues, never had a problem with zoom while hole hopping nor had an issue with weeds (I don't fish over suspended weeds) I can always tell when the bottom is weedy because of the signal it sends back.  I bought an LX-7 last year but tend to grab the 5 when I'm hole hopping (easier to carry around).  I'd be lost without it.

Offline hnd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Dec 18, 2012, 12:06 PM »
if you are in the QC and want to see my lx5 and get your hands on it, let me know.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Dec 18, 2012, 01:32 PM »
Lx5 by far.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Dec 18, 2012, 02:54 PM »
I bought both last season, actually posted a small review and I liked the FL-22 HD alot better but you're not gonna catch more fish using one over the other, its a matter of preference. I prefer slim attractive women..some like them fat...to each their own ;D

Offline MichiganMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 18, 2012, 06:54 PM »
LX-5
It's more important to be nice, than it is nice to be important.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:18 PM »
LX-5 gets my vote to...

Offline Mr.J5625

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:24 PM »
this is easy

wanna pay more $$ for less features get FL-22
wanna pay less $$ for more features get LX5

nuff said ;)

Offline Gillfisher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #13 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:41 PM »
I bought both last season, actually posted a small review and I liked the FL-22 HD alot better but you're not gonna catch more fish using one over the other, its a matter of preference. I prefer slim attractive women..some like them fat...to each their own ;D

Excellent analogy!!!! I like em between there.  ;)

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Dec 18, 2012, 07:43 PM »
Excellent analogy!!!! I like em between there.  ;)
    X2!!!!

Offline roverman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 18, 2012, 09:36 PM »
LX5 is the one you want by a mile. The FL22 isnt even close.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:10 AM »
You should try the ICE55 and when you get tired of that we can trade for my ICE45.  By the way how many wives have you had? Or do you just trade pickup trucks like me and keep the wife?

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:56 AM »
One wife but work two jobs to support my ice fishing so there's not much she can say. She's doesn't care as along as she gets something to. Lol
Matt

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:09 AM »
That is good to hear.  You should get an ICE machine too if you fish outside at all as it is flat screened and resists the snow.

Offline BudMan

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #19 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:35 AM »
How do you guys like your lx5 in shallow water weeds? Can you dial it down enough to see through the weeds good? See real bottom

I have a lx5. This is where the dual beam and fine line technology comes into play. There's a bay I like to fish in for crappie. It averages about 8-10 ft deep. It's full of weeds from bottom of the ice to bottom of the lake. I find pockets in the weeds and use the narrow beam to eliminate some of the weed "marks".  I also chase those same crappie out of the bay into about 25ft of water where they suspend. Being able to zoom anywhere in that water column really helps in this situation.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:39 AM »
If I don't like the lx5 I'll be getting a fl22. Yes they have a flat screen. The ICE line has a 2" target separation the lx5 has 3/4 and I think the fl22 is less than that. I know this because I did look at the ice55 before I decided what two to compare.
Matt

Offline Prairiegoat

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 13# Pike
« Reply #21 on: Dec 19, 2012, 12:02 PM »
The options on the Tri-Beam FL22 work for me. Add quiet and flat screen, awesome. Plus, it works wonders in open water with the bottom lock. Boat can bob all it wants and I see the bottom 6'. It's the all-season answer for me.

Offline jchunter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:01 PM »
Very good information here. I own a fl-18 and plan to up grade later this year or next. It's good to hear what people think that have had both units.

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2012, 07:55 PM »
 I ordered the LX 5! I got it from Sportsman Guide. I'm a member of there club so I got 10% off plus free 3 day shipping for $449. I figure I'll try the LX 5 for this season and if I don't like it I'll sell it and go back to the FL 22. It will be nice sitting in the shack with peace and quiet. Thanks to all that have posted on this thread. If any LX 5 guys have pointers on tips for using the Lx 5 that would be a big help.
 Thanks Again!
  Matt

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:04 PM »
You'll love the SLF, I normaly run mine on the narrow side but all personal preference... I do use mine less and less though since getting the 7 last year...

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:13 PM »
 What is the biggest benefit of the SFL? Does it really make that big of a difference? I get it Friday and I may have to take it out in the boat and have some fun!
 Matt

You'll love the SLF, I normaly run mine on the narrow side but all personal preference... I do use mine less and less though since getting the 7 last year...

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:32 PM »
It will cut the line thickness down by 50-70% compaired to a Vex, also increases target seperation... FYI with the 5 you also get a true zoom not a blown up image

Offline hamms

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:48 PM »
Is the true zoom credited to the power output of the unit? You lx-5 guys had any issues with transducers? not lasting very long? Do you have to reset your zoom everytime you move to a new hole? If so I think I would go crazy setting that everytime running it to the bottom . Wonder why they don't have the zoom setting from bottom to begin with then move up if needed?
Fishin red lines

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:56 PM »
I have one of the first year made LX-5's and never a problem with it, no need to reset the zoom unless the depth changes or you turn the unit off... The zoom is a true zoom meaning it's not blown up and this is where you get the 3/4" seperation, others use a digital zoom meaning they basicly blow up the image...Think of taking a picture in a low pixel count then blowing it up to a  8x10....Now do the same but with a high pixel count and you get a much cleaner sharper image...

Offline 74redone

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2012, 09:03 PM »
That sounds great! Christmas is coming on Friday instead of Tuesday! I will do a review of what I think after Saturday. My Vex buddy still thinks I crazy for going with another Marcum after not liking the LX7. The LX 7 is nice but I prefer it to be simple and I felt like I was looking at a video game instead of a flasher.
 Matt

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.