Author Topic: Bitter lake  (Read 38215 times)

Offline icefishingluva

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Bitter lake
« Reply #90 on: Jan 16, 2013, 12:45 PM »
Yea...BojiHawk you're the man! sent you a pm by the way..
Let's fish it.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • I just don't have a healthy fear of...anything.
« Reply #91 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:16 PM »
[quotecondici author=Voltaire link=topic=233796.msg2467206#msg2467206 date=1358353391]
No just extremely poor fishing, that is why they all come to South Dakota to fish.
[/quote]

You should blame Florida for high temps or Texas for sandy ground....LOL

Most people on here are not lookIing for the "hot catfish bite" or the "huge crappies" hitting,  that's pretty simple.   If you are going to ND / S.D.....you want walleye, perch, or pike.   That's it. 

Well...folks that live south of the Mizoo don't get much of that.  We have reservoirs....simple.  Waters rise, water falls...not conducive to water / depth / bottom composoitions / gravel bars / etc. that make pike, eyes, and perch.  Bitter Lake had the best perch fishing when I was there years ago - Where I PARKED IN 2002 - THE TRUCK ON GRAVEL....in 2010 we hammered the perch on the same spot....in 18' of water!!  Hope the lodge makes it...Never know....but who would underwrite that risk????   maybe they'll need a guide....;-)    In any event...I would love to see that place get up and running...I'm always rooting for the....human??   I don't know them or anything but....I root for them.   Through His grace...may they complete and prosper.  I hope their risk is rewarded...god bless.
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline fishslayer32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #92 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:29 PM »
Did u catch any perch?
Honda, walleye, perch, jiffy, can't beat me!, the best, Frabill, frozen water, fish fry, pike, bass, tip up, Vexilar, Clam, John Deere, Eskimo, Aqua Vu, Mr. Heater, Monster Energy, steak.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #93 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:46 PM »
Did u catch any perch?

PM for table photos...we didn't get the 2 LB mark...but we had some in the 1.5 and 1.75 marks.  We sorted early on on 10's....and would up claning only around 24-27 per day...so we didn't limit on take...only on catch.  Got enough fish...I told my bro 11" was our personal cutoff.  We released some smalls...but not many.   Even with those, our 30 would have been right on....
STRIKELITE 4-STROKE, POLARIS 800 X2, OTTER OUTDOORS, FL-12, FORD F-150, ST. CROIX, HERITAGE LAKER AND FRABILL THERMAL TIPUPS, STRIKEMASTER BIBS AND PARKA, MR BUDDY, LOWRANCE H2O, AQUA VIEW XL, MARCUM PANNING TRIPOD, AND FATTIES.

Offline bababooey

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #94 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:56 PM »
Boji, 

You keep harping about the SD law that your friends broke a couple years back, but if you look at the Nebraska regs, it reads pretty much the same way...

Page 9 of Ne regs
"Daily Bag Limit – The number of fish harvested from midnight to the following midnight
taken by all legal methods combined. No person may possess more than one day’s bag
limit of fish while on the water or actively fishing.
"

page 12
"LENGTH LIMITS AND CLEANING OF FISH
Where length and bag limits apply, fish may not be filleted until fishing is completed for
the day and anglers are off the water. Fish subject to bag and possession limits but not
length limits, may be processed before transport if the fillets are kept in one piece until
cooked, so the bag and possession limits can be determined.
Fish species subject to a length limit may not be possessed with more than the gills,
viscera and scales removed while on the water, wading or engaged in fishing.
Any fish
in possession while actively fishing or on the water will be subject to length and bag
limits that apply to the water being fished. Once off the water, the fish may be filleted for
transportation and storage."

Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration when guys like Voltaire run their mouth, but don't keep going back to South Dakota's stupid laws, when in fact Nebraska's could be interpreted the exact same way.

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #95 on: Jan 16, 2013, 01:58 PM »
No problem, glad I could help. I am happy that you did good.

:clap: :clap: :clap:    I missed this one...coudn't figure out what eveyone was talking / laughing about.   :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: 5 pund limits???   LMFAO...like saying "I killed my limit of 25 year old pregnant women"     MMMM....goooooooood eating.   5 pounders are my target fish.  I normally stuff a couple behind the seat if I get more than one.  Passed the tarter sauce and melted common sense....I'm double dipping....

I could only hope / pray /assume / beg / plead/.....that this "limit" meant only one per anlger.   He never never said kept.....

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #96 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:29 PM »
I can say with confidence.....I've put back more 5 pound fish since 2000 on the mizoo and SD Glacials than most people take home in perch on a GREAT 3 day trip in perch.  Good luck to all people going up...that cold front coming in will create a flat bite starting Friday...go small, spikes, minnow heads and move.  Deep water and silty bottoms.....the  bays are dead for perch unless you find a hole....move drill move drill move drill....its def going to be a tough guy drillers weekend. 

Offline lastapproach

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #97 on: Jan 16, 2013, 02:59 PM »
I can say with confidence.....I've put back more 5 pound fish since 2000 on the mizoo and SD Glacials than most people take home in perch on a GREAT 3 day trip in perch.  Good luck to all people going up...that cold front coming in will create a flat bite starting Friday...go small, spikes, minnow heads and move.  Deep water and silty bottoms.....the  bays are dead for perch unless you find a hole....move drill move drill move drill....its def going to be a tough guy drillers weekend.

A little luck helps too if you hit that honey hole the first place you set up. ;)
Jiffy STX Pro II 10in, 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 450, Otter Outdoors Ice Lodge, Flx-28, White 2010 Duramax 2500 Crew Cab, Rocky Boots, Cabelas Camo Coat, Camo Under Armour Hat, and Insulated Blue Jeans. Beats sitting in school!

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #98 on: Jan 16, 2013, 03:10 PM »
Boji, 

You keep harping about the SD law that your friends broke a couple years back, but if you look at the Nebraska regs, it reads pretty much the same way...

Page 9 of Ne regs
"Daily Bag Limit – The number of fish harvested from midnight to the following midnight
taken by all legal methods combined. No person may possess more than one day’s bag
limit of fish while on the water or actively fishing.
"

page 12
"LENGTH LIMITS AND CLEANING OF FISH
Where length and bag limits apply, fish may not be filleted until fishing is completed for
the day and anglers are off the water. Fish subject to bag and possession limits but not
length limits, may be processed before transport if the fillets are kept in one piece until
cooked, so the bag and possession limits can be determined.
Fish species subject to a length limit may not be possessed with more than the gills,
viscera and scales removed while on the water, wading or engaged in fishing.
Any fish
in possession while actively fishing or on the water will be subject to length and bag
limits that apply to the water being fished. Once off the water, the fish may be filleted for
transportation and storage."

Don't get me wrong, I understand your frustration when guys like Voltaire run their mouth, but don't keep going back to South Dakota's stupid laws, when in fact Nebraska's could be interpreted the exact same way.

I've never said they were stupid...my humble opinion is simply this:   we didnt' know  / or read right.  (our fault entirely and lesson learned...never to be repeated.   Since they won't be back...it can't be).  So...as I've posted time and time again in bold READ THE REGS.   It was our fault.  It was our bad.  HOWEVER...I think that a warning (aka -going 57 mph in a 55 mph) is a warning scenario.  Had we had 75 perch, a dozen "8 -5 pounders",.....no.  I've never said there wasn't a law broken. ....just like if you got pulled over for going 26 mph in a 25 going home.  Difference?:   One is for game harvest control....I applaud it. The other is BS.  The one they got was for boredom / quota fullfilment.  NOT public safety / NOT harvest control (all fish were presented and possessions and limits were adhered to - none eaten on or off the waters).  It was a "you guys are OK with your license and limits and possesion...next time guys...you can't drive your fish out here on the way home"   Run the vehicle tags, run the DL's, and issue warnings and ask them to return...warnings for all....one time only.

Or...do what they did.  3 less anglers from IA that will never be back...and I understand that position as well.  They officers get paid.....no tickets written...100 written...it's all tax beuracratic bull%hit.  They were bored....there was no over harvest.  If one of us would have played HS f-ball will an officer... or got a reach around from Brock Lesner in the shower...it would have been a "hey...keep the vacu sealed fish off ice OK Larry  (insert name here)??"     

Law was breached, a whole $230 was reaped in by the SDGP.....wow!!!!  2 tanks of gas????  Enough for a per diem lunch while 4 of them sleep in a SDGP camper???   (aka -  4 door pickup)???   Wow...great long term thinking, decision making, and abstract planning.  I'm thinking about sending like.... medals or a nice check to the pensions for these brave guys.   Does anyone have an address or link to how I can get these rewards to our brave and forward thinking custodians of the future for the Northeast SD area and the gem of true outback sportsmanship?   I would gladly send it...

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #99 on: Jan 16, 2013, 03:16 PM »
A little luck helps too if you hit that honey hole the first place you set up. ;)

Or if you read articles and past posts for 2 or 3 hours a night for weeks before you leave on structure that will hold those fish over that depth, substrate, food source, baro pressure, fishing pressure, spawning habits, first ice date, 5 day prior weather, 5 day future forecast, and a few other dozen things I took into consideration 3 hours before I left at 5 AM from a 4 hour drive south of there... and then after I drove through a shantytown of 300 trucks and shacks 1/2 mile from the nearest "local" to my "lucky guess".

If that is lucky....mannnnnnn.... ..I am LUCKY.    ???

Offline jonas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #100 on: Jan 16, 2013, 03:27 PM »
Or if you read articles and past posts for 2 or 3 hours a night for weeks before you leave on structure that will hold those fish over that depth, substrate, food source, baro pressure, fishing pressure, spawning habits, first ice date, 5 day prior weather, 5 day future forecast, and a few other dozen things I took into consideration 3 hours before I left at 5 AM from a 4 hour drive south of there... and then after I drove through a shantytown of 300 trucks and shacks 1/2 mile from the nearest "local" to my "lucky guess".

If that is lucky....mannnnnnn.... ..I am LUCKY.    ???
Sounds like you need to call ahead and reserve your spot on the lake!! 

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #101 on: Jan 16, 2013, 03:35 PM »
That's why I'm glad the ice is over quad thick...that red 2 up gathered a lot of people past few years....reservations are for people that want a spot.   A tank of gas and a drill??   You go TAKE your spot.

Offline jonas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #102 on: Jan 16, 2013, 03:37 PM »
I just go and pull up 4 feet away like everybody else does....thats how I roll

Offline BojiHawk

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #103 on: Jan 16, 2013, 03:44 PM »
I know...I see you all.  i don't remember the last person that didin't pull up to me who didn't get a deer stick and a shot of jag.  I'm just not a jerk....I don't dislike people...just like fish flopping in the shack....and not in a group of 200 noisemakers.  I've never been a jerk on the ice except to litter bugs....called a few people out there....that's about it.

Offline jonas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #104 on: Jan 16, 2013, 04:13 PM »
Well if you have jag and deer sticks ill just move as close as I can!

Offline lastapproach

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #105 on: Jan 16, 2013, 06:14 PM »
I didn't mean you were lucky there Boji I was talking about myself ;) I'm not the kind to drill drill drill, I'll drill 2 for my portable, move, 2 more move. Not as efficient. If I were ever to start drilling a lot of holes, I'd get a lighter auger and not have a 10in bit!  I've got the 3500 jiffy stx pro 10in. It's a heavy sucker. Looking to trade it off for the Honda strike master next year. Then I'd be willing to Swiss cheese some more.
Jiffy STX Pro II 10in, 2007 Yamaha Grizzly 450, Otter Outdoors Ice Lodge, Flx-28, White 2010 Duramax 2500 Crew Cab, Rocky Boots, Cabelas Camo Coat, Camo Under Armour Hat, and Insulated Blue Jeans. Beats sitting in school!

Offline masonfromMO

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #106 on: Jan 16, 2013, 08:24 PM »
finally sick and tired of the back and forth temps and ice conditions here in NW Missouri..So, heading up to Webster feb 7-11....have a few friends in the area that are going to try and help us find a few fish, but would love to get some help from some of the guys on here that would like to help out a first timer...out of stater....Ive been reading this thread for a while, and looks like some great anglers on here that might help a fella out? (BojiHawk...like your attitude!!).. ANY tricks, places to start, etc. would be greatly appreciated...PM if you would like....Sounds like bringing a lot of gas for the auger is a must, but anything else to help our chances?  Thx in advance!!  Looking so forward to it...we have really excellent ice fishing for nice crappie and bluegill in Missouri, but the ice just isn't cooperating for us this year, and I have heard great things about the Webster area, especially Bitter lake, and the perch fishery....Also, we have not reserved our lodging yet.... will we have a problem getting a place to stay?  and any recommendations??  sorry so my questions...but hey we have all been there?....thanks again

Offline fishslayer32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #107 on: Jan 16, 2013, 09:51 PM »
Any nice walleyes been taken out laity?
Honda, walleye, perch, jiffy, can't beat me!, the best, Frabill, frozen water, fish fry, pike, bass, tip up, Vexilar, Clam, John Deere, Eskimo, Aqua Vu, Mr. Heater, Monster Energy, steak.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #108 on: Jan 16, 2013, 10:00 PM »
I've never said they were stupid...my humble opinion is simply this:   we didnt' know  / or read right.  (our fault entirely and lesson learned...never to be repeated.   Since they won't be back...it can't be).  So...as I've posted time and time again in bold READ THE REGS.   It was our fault.  It was our bad.  HOWEVER...I think that a warning (aka -going 57 mph in a 55 mph) is a warning scenario.  Had we had 75 perch, a dozen "8 -5 pounders",.....no.  I've never said there wasn't a law broken. ....just like if you got pulled over for going 26 mph in a 25 going home.  Difference?:   One is for game harvest control....I applaud it. The other is BS.  The one they got was for boredom / quota fullfilment.  NOT public safety / NOT harvest control (all fish were presented and possessions and limits were adhered to - none eaten on or off the waters).  It was a "you guys are OK with your license and limits and possesion...next time guys...you can't drive your fish out here on the way home"   Run the vehicle tags, run the DL's, and issue warnings and ask them to return...warnings for all....one time only.

Or...do what they did.  3 less anglers from IA that will never be back...and I understand that position as well.  They officers get paid.....no tickets written...100 written...it's all tax beuracratic bull%hit.  They were bored....there was no over harvest.  If one of us would have played HS f-ball will an officer... or got a reach around from Brock Lesner in the shower...it would have been a "hey...keep the vacu sealed fish off ice OK Larry  (insert name here)??"     

Law was breached, a whole $230 was reaped in by the SDGP.....wow!!!!  2 tanks of gas????  Enough for a per diem lunch while 4 of them sleep in a SDGP camper???   (aka -  4 door pickup)???   Wow...great long term thinking, decision making, and abstract planning.  I'm thinking about sending like.... medals or a nice check to the pensions for these brave guys.   Does anyone have an address or link to how I can get these rewards to our brave and forward thinking custodians of the future for the Northeast SD area and the gem of true outback sportsmanship?   I would gladly send it...

Check the SDGFP website for an address.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline fishslayer32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #109 on: Jan 16, 2013, 11:34 PM »
hey Jonas, before you go driving up by people who are fishing before you and you go driving up next to them and scare the fish a way or just drive by,  just give them some space. They were there first and a good chance that they don't want someone to set up right next to them! I cant stand it when im fishing in my permy and somebody drives a pick up 5 feet away or sets up on your door step. its called privacy. there's the whole lake to drive on.

Offline jonas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #110 on: Jan 17, 2013, 08:42 AM »
hey Jonas, before you go driving up by people who are fishing before you and you go driving up next to them and scare the fish a way or just drive by,  just give them some space. They were there first and a good chance that they don't want someone to set up right next to them! I cant stand it when im fishing in my permy and somebody drives a pick up 5 feet away or sets up on your door step. its called privacy. there's the whole lake to drive on.
Fishslayer i was actually kidding, i have had it happen to me so many times that I do not even care.  Last year I had group from nebraska roll up to my vehicle and parked 4 feet away and started drilling holes.  They did the "oh yeah heres the spot on the GPS trick".  But there really is nothing you can do....do you think people really care if your shack is there?? not really.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #111 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:06 AM »
Fishslayer i was actually kidding, i have had it happen to me so many times that I do not even care.  Last year I had group from nebraska roll up to my vehicle and parked 4 feet away and started drilling holes.  They did the "oh yeah heres the spot on the GPS trick".  But there really is nothing you can do....do you think people really care if your shack is there?? not really.

Yeah that is what most people from NE do.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline lastapproach

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #112 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:28 AM »
Yeah that is what most people from NE do.

I do not understand why you are so biased VS out of staters? They are vital to the economy of our state. Plus they help our fisheries from becoming over populated and going to crap.

Offline fishslayer32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #113 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:31 AM »
Need to jack up prices on out of state licences.

Offline jonas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #114 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:34 AM »
I agree with that!  Increased revenue for sure...  Id say $100 per person for a year.  They would still come

Offline fishslayer32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #115 on: Jan 17, 2013, 09:42 AM »
All i know is that they are to cheap for them.

Offline EyeDoc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Eyes by day, Eyes by night.
« Reply #116 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:11 AM »
You morons will never learn. Should we jack up prices for out of state tuition? I have met a TON of people that come to school here and we dont complain about "out of staters" Maybe we charge SD residents double until you get a decent university (and I dont want to hear anything about the Jackwagons or U-STD)? Ha. I have been very decent in my posts, gently nudged you guys about being grateful for out of state revenue and the impact it would have if it were lost. Guess its beating a dead, ungrateful horse. Hail to king Vulture, leader of the morons. Ha.  ::)

Offline fishslayer32

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #117 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:18 AM »
Then don't come then. we have some of the lowest prices for licences and some of the best fishing around, it must be good if your coming to fish, right??

Offline jonas

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #118 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:23 AM »
You can not really compare tuition to fishing.  Tuition is high any where you go.  And why wouldn't jacking up the fee bring more money to the state?  People are willing to drive 5 hours, stay in a hotel, spend money for bait and food.  Why wouldnt they spend the extra money on the fishinng license?  Why would anyone want to go to school in Nebraska anyway?  Can you even fish in that state?

Offline lastapproach

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #119 on: Jan 17, 2013, 10:26 AM »
You morons will never learn. Should we jack up prices for out of state tuition? I have met a TON of people that come to school here and we dont complain about "out of staters" Maybe we charge SD residents double until you get a decent university (and I dont want to hear anything about the Jackwagons or U-STD)? Ha. I have been very decent in my posts, gently nudged you guys about being grateful for out of state revenue and the impact it would have if it were lost. Guess its beating a dead, ungrateful horse. Hail to king Vulture, leader of the morons. Ha.  ::)

I agree with the whole U-STD ;) The Rabbits are on their way up, first FCS win, sticking with NDSU, Nate Wolters NBA prospect. Good things on the way for the Jacks!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.