Author Topic: Very disappointed in first Hummingbird  (Read 7070 times)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Very disappointed in first Hummingbird
« Reply #30 on: Dec 20, 2012, 08:24 AM »
Marcums are the highest-powered sonar and work the best in deeper water. All of the extra features help you catch more fish as it gives a fisherman better, more precise, and more accurate data.

FYI, just because a unit has more power doesn't mean it works better in deeper water...I am speaking directly from personal experience...

Show me a Marcum that will clearly read my 1/4oz spoon at 165 feet and we will talk.  Fl-18 does it. None of the Marcums, lowrances, or humminbirds I've used can do that.  Heck, the FL-22 can't even do that.

Offline WalleyeTom

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #31 on: Dec 20, 2012, 08:39 AM »
When fishing for lake trout my Marcum LX-7 shows the jig and the swivel tied about 4 ft. up in 150 feet of water.

P.S.  My buddy was fishing with a bird 35 yesterday.  It marked the trout nicely.

Must have taken some time for a 1/4 oz spoon to sink 165 ft.
Stay safe  ....    Tom

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #32 on: Dec 20, 2012, 08:58 AM »
When fishing for lake trout my Marcum LX-7 shows the jig and the swivel tied about 4 ft. up in 150 feet of water.

Must have taken some time for a 1/4 oz spoon to sink 165 ft.

it feels like it takes a couple minutes...doesn't usually make it to the bottom though ;)    140-150 feet is about the max for most flashers.   Any experience with that marcum deeper than 160?

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:13 AM »
It cracks me up how many people are so positive that the flasher/finder that they possess is absolutely the best to own. And thats fine but why the need to bash other brands. If you are looking for electronics do your research online. Choose between the features that best suit your needs, read the reviews and make your choice within your budget.
 I dont check out very many of the flasher threads because it seems they always turn into that argument. I have friends with vexilar, humminbird, marcum...and guess what? They all find fish...imagine that!

We are on a Marcum sponsored board with a bunch of Marcum spammers. True fisherman and sporstman like yourself take more pride in their catch and enjoyment of talking with fellow anglers then worrying about an electronic gadget. Some of the clowns on here remind me of Gollum on Lord of the Rings "My precious Marcum" I like Marcum products but I certainly don't bow down and worship them like a few posters here..not to mention names.

I know many many anglers that use HB Ice 55's and have no issues. Anything that electronic can and will fail....even Marcum's which I have had first hand experience with.

Cheers!!

Offline darkwater777

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Dec 20, 2012, 10:17 AM »
Get a marcum and don't look back.

Yeah you dont want to look back to this recent post

http://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=233179.0

;D

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #35 on: Dec 20, 2012, 12:38 PM »

"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #36 on: Dec 20, 2012, 01:27 PM »
A better one would have been:

Marcum LX9 - for guys who need to see what they're doing wrong.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #37 on: Dec 20, 2012, 04:13 PM »
HA!!  I don't need no staged pictures for my 'inspirational' vexilar posters!

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Dec 20, 2012, 04:59 PM »
HA!!  I don't need no staged pictures for my 'inspirational' vexilar posters!

(Image removed from quote.)

I think you used a Marcum to catch those fish. I don't see a Vexilar in sight.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #39 on: Dec 21, 2012, 01:40 AM »
A better one would have been:

Marcum LX9 - for guys who need to see what they're doing wrong.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :bow: :bow:

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #40 on: Dec 21, 2012, 08:15 AM »
I think you used a Marcum to catch those fish. I don't see a Vexilar in sight.

;D  ;D

@)

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #41 on: Dec 21, 2012, 10:23 AM »
This is funny.  CBALLS makes his second post to Ice Shanty about how dissappointed he is because he is too stupid to check out equipment he is buying while still at the store located several hours from his home, causes this big Chevy Ford imbroglio ( I am not sure I know it meaning of this word or if it is spelled right but works for me) and then we never hear from him again.  HEY CBALLS WE DON'T HAVE A CRYSTALL BALL, WHAT HAPPENED! 

ps I have a ICE45 and it has made my ice fishing so much better.  I would buy another anytime, any day.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:10 AM »
;D  ;D

@)

I see a Marcum on the ice behind the fish, that's probably what caught them. I also don't see you in the photo, must have found that picture on the internet.
-John Buchan

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #43 on: Dec 21, 2012, 11:20 AM »
No marcums in that picture at all Voltaire, all Vexilars...when my friends and I started ice fishing, there was no such thing as marcum.   I've found the vast majority of marcum users haven't even been ice fishing as long as I've owned my Vexilar...

of course i found this picture on the internet...it was on my photobucket account ;D

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #44 on: Dec 21, 2012, 12:35 PM »
This is funny.  CBALLS makes his second post to Ice Shanty about how dissappointed he is because he is too stupid to check out equipment he is buying while still at the store located several hours from his home, causes this big Chevy Ford imbroglio ( I am not sure I know it meaning of this word or if it is spelled right but works for me) and then we never hear from him again.  HEY CBALLS WE DON'T HAVE A CRYSTALL BALL, WHAT HAPPENED! 

ps I have a ICE45 and it has made my ice fishing so much better.  I would buy another anytime, any day.

Personal attacks are not ok.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #45 on: Dec 22, 2012, 03:59 PM »
Personal attacks are not ok.
It's okay with you for CBALLS to do a driveby shooting of Hummingbird and never say how or if it was resolved?  So it is OK with you for some virtual ice fisherman named CBALLS to defame a real company on a international platform and never come back after trashing the place.  You are so "nicey, nicey".

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #46 on: Dec 22, 2012, 04:47 PM »
He said he was "disappointed" with the company, and that his confidence has been shaken with the company. In no way is that defaming a company..  He had an opinion, and he stated it.

YOU however, did not contribute to the thread in any way.

No, trust me, I am not nicely nice.  Nor am I a jack wagon who makes personal attacks through a computer by calling someone stupid for posting their opinion.

Offline tokr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #47 on: Dec 23, 2012, 12:55 PM »
I bought a HB ICE-45 2 years ago. I am lucky that HB has a warrenty service office right here in Winnipeg. They are great to deal with and try to help as much as they can.
The charger crapped out within the 1st month of use.
Within the 1st 3 months the transducer quit.
Last trip of the 1st year the flasher just expired.

At this point I have an almost completely new unit. Not sure this says much about HB quality, but the service was good.

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #48 on: Dec 23, 2012, 08:47 PM »
I bought a HB ICE-45 2 years ago. I am lucky that HB has a warrenty service office right here in Winnipeg. They are great to deal with and try to help as much as they can.
The charger crapped out within the 1st month of use.
Within the 1st 3 months the transducer quit.
Last trip of the 1st year the flasher just expired.

At this point I have an almost completely new unit. Not sure this says much about HB quality, but the service was good.
Wow that sucks! l It seems like HB has a gremlin in their flashers. I guess thats why they are pushing the LCDs.

Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline Layne

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • beer, bait & ammo
« Reply #49 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:08 PM »
Wow that sucks! l It seems like HB has a gremlin in their flashers. I guess thats why they are pushing the LCDs.

Not at all.. Ive only personally seen one with issues in person and HB customer service took care of the problem in record time. HB's are very popular up here, they work great. Ive got a first year Ice 35 and 2 years old ice 55, both are fantastic.
"your like a Perez Hilton of the ice fishing blogging world" - dreamcatcher

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #50 on: Dec 24, 2012, 03:54 PM »
Not at all.. Ive only personally seen one with issues in person and HB customer service took care of the problem in record time. HB's are very popular up here, they work great. Ive got a first year Ice 35 and 2 years old ice 55, both are fantastic.

I'll second that, lots of my fishing partners have used HB flashers for years, I have a Ice-55 and it's worked great for me.

Offline perchslappinmy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Dec 24, 2012, 04:52 PM »
I also have a first year 55 that's literally helped me catch thousands of fish...couldn't be happier.

Offline smchop

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #52 on: Dec 25, 2012, 08:41 PM »
Get a marcum and don't look back.

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #53 on: Dec 26, 2012, 07:44 AM »
I find an equal amount of problems for all of the above mentioned products. It seams with this many fisherman you will always be able to find one or two from a hundred with issues. It is always best to help to someone than to tell them what they should of done. Like go to a hospital for help with some lung cancer and they just tell you that you should not of smoked all those years. Lets just focus on helping fellow fisherman instead of focusing on brand loyalty.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline blufloyd

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #54 on: Dec 26, 2012, 08:04 AM »
First post in thread has red flags you guys are missing.

IE....bought at local store but 2 hour drive to return???

Smelled like bait left by troll to me.  Seems he got bit too.

Happy new Year.
I fish better with a lit cigar; some people fish better with talent. ~Nick Lyons, Bright Rivers, 1977

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #55 on: Dec 26, 2012, 03:00 PM »
First post in thread has red flags you guys are missing.

IE....bought at local store but 2 hour drive to return???

Smelled like bait left by troll to me.  Seems he got bit too.

Happy new Year.

If you were familiar with SK you would know that a "local" shop being two hours away is not unheard of. Not a troll just not very thorough.

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #56 on: Dec 29, 2012, 05:29 PM »
Like I said.  This guys 2nd post does a hit and run on HB and we never hear from him again.  In the meantime he leaves an opening for the competition to trash HB over something he probably made up.  I am catching lots of fish because I bought a Hummingbird 45.  I will probably buy a Vex or Marcum as a second unit to avoid interference between units and like those to.  I do like the digital display and dual beams on my 45.  Battery lasts forever.   

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #57 on: Dec 29, 2012, 05:45 PM »
Like I said.  This guys 2nd post does a hit and run on HB and we never hear from him again.  In the meantime he leaves an opening for the competition to trash HB over something he probably made up.  I am catching lots of fish because I bought a Hummingbird 45.  I will probably buy a Vex or Marcum as a second unit to avoid interference between units and like those to.  I do like the digital display and dual beams on my 45.  Battery lasts forever.

Being from SK, he's probably doing more ice fishing than living on a computer.  ::)

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Dec 29, 2012, 07:01 PM »
Being from SK, he's probably doing more ice fishing than living on a computer.  ::)

You are the one with 1047 posts, not me.

Offline Icefisher40

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Missing the U.P
« Reply #59 on: Dec 29, 2012, 08:30 PM »
You are the one with 1047 posts, not me.

I need something to do between college classes and fishing for a living.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.