Author Topic: Very disappointed in first Hummingbird  (Read 7073 times)

Offline cballs

• IceShanty Rookie
  • STX Pro II, Clam Trapper/BaseCamp, HBird45
Very disappointed in first Hummingbird
« on: Dec 08, 2012, 06:22 PM »
 Bought my first flasher today from the local ind. shop not the big box store, employee talked to me about the Differences between Hbirds and Marcums, after some contemplation I decided to buy the Ice-45. Like a kid on Christmas I couldn't wait to get home and start playing with it.  As soon as I pulled the head out of the box I knew I was in trouble.  Something was rattling around inside it, and when i turned it on it made a hell of a racket. So I shut it off and now have to go though the hassle of trying to get warranty on a product I haven't used and have to drive 2 hours to return.  This has shaken my confidence in this company even though I know that there are thousands of these out there.  Was planning on heading out for first time this year tomorrow with my new technology but now am quite frustrated.
Here fishy...fishy...fishy!

Offline bpiatt

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Very disappointed in first Hummingbird
« Reply #1 on: Dec 08, 2012, 06:24 PM »
Sorry to hear it man, but it may not be H-birds fault. Could have been damaged in transport. At least it happened right off the bat and not after warranty expired.

Offline Curley

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 08, 2012, 06:35 PM »
Hope the shop does you right and offers an exchange. If not I know a couple guys who have said Humminbirds warranty service is top notch. Good luck.

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 08, 2012, 06:37 PM »
So you buy something that was no doubt damaged in transport and you figure it's the companies fault, take it back to the retailer and get a new one, done!

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Dec 08, 2012, 06:57 PM »
Many of my friends got the HB's over the past few years, only 1 still has his 55 as a loaner, most went to Marcums a couple back to Vex....Been happy with my Marcum the past 6 years so much in fact I own 2

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #5 on: Dec 08, 2012, 07:08 PM »
That sucks. I sympathize with ya...I 'spose they won't exchange it, or you wouldn't have made this post...I sure hope you can. I ordered mine (Showdown) direct from Marcum, after having talked to Jon at the St. Paul show prior to it. He grabbed one, opened it for me, and checked it out completely before he mailed it off...just what I had requested. Great people. Won't buy anything in this day and age with checking it over completely. Good luck. I feel for ya.  :-\
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline bullpine

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 08, 2012, 10:06 PM »
Didn't you turn it on at the store and check it out there before driving 2 hours and then checking it out?  I have the ICE 45 and would go home if I forgot to pack it.  I has been nothing but amazing. 

Offline Icepuppy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Dec 09, 2012, 09:36 AM »
Gotta agree with everyone. Also, if it's your first flasher taking it out of the box and having the staff help you out with the basics of turning it on etc. before you leave would be wise. Lesson learned but you will enjoy your flasher and it will teach you a lot about the fish you are targeting.

Offline PFUNK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Dec 09, 2012, 01:53 PM »
I have had to deal with Humminbird customer service in the past and was very pleased with how it went. They are very helpful and they stand behind their products. I would guess this was an issue that happened after it left the factory and would be something to discuss with the dealer from whom you bought it. If they can't help I am sure humminbird will make it right. I own a Humminbird and am 100% pleased and I know for a fact that there are thousands out there that have nothing but good things to say about humminbird. Every single company is going to have some bad apples that leave the door, but if they handle it the right way I think it says more good about them than it does bad. Look at marcum's lx-7 when it first came out.... a lot of people weren't happy with it but they made it right with some updates. I am sure Hbird will do the same for you.

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #9 on: Dec 09, 2012, 01:58 PM »
If the shop does do an exchange, tell them how far you are traveling, usually they will make some sort of compensation for your troubles
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline chillywillie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Team Maine
« Reply #10 on: Dec 09, 2012, 02:32 PM »
I've had the misfortune of buying many things at various stores only to get them home and find something broken.  Return it and get another one.

Offline MGK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Dec 09, 2012, 02:36 PM »
Sorry to hear about your new flasher. I have nothing but positive things to say about Humminbirds customer service. They should come good for it!

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Dec 09, 2012, 03:20 PM »
That stinks. I don't see how it could have been damaged in transport, they pack those things so good the shipper would have had to back over it to damage it. Was probably damaged coming off the line before it was packed up. Or maybe something inside didn't get tightened all the way. If it was damaged post factory, you would see cracked parts and a busted up box....

EYECONICFISHING

Offline Buck1985

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • The story of my life
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2012, 03:39 PM »
That stinks. I don't see how it could have been damaged in transport, they pack those things so good the shipper would have had to back over it to damage it. Was probably damaged coming off the line before it was packed up. Or maybe something inside didn't get tightened all the way. If it was damaged post factory, you would see cracked parts and a busted up box....

If someone dropped the box, maybe the shock knocked something loose? Could have been shipping, or at the store. Maybe someone messed with it at the store and broke something? A lot of possibilities
The fishing is always great, the catching however, always isn't

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2012, 03:57 PM »
I bought a new controller for my PS3. When I to home and opened the package I found it was used. Figured one of the employees or better yet, someone returned it and said they didn't need it. It looked new but I found signs of wear on the joystick. Not sure this is your case, but look it over good and see if it has signs of wear in the normal places. I took it back and they said sorry and swapped it out. If your bird didn't work out of the box, they should do the same.
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2012, 04:32 PM »
If someone dropped the box, maybe the shock knocked something loose? Could have been shipping, or at the store. Maybe someone messed with it at the store and broke something? A lot of possibilities

If dropping the box without damaging the box shook something loose in the head, what do you think would happen when traveling on and off the ice? The vibrations would tear it apart!
EYECONICFISHING

Offline michianafisherman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Pleasant Times At Pleasant Lake
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2012, 06:58 PM »
If only I had enough money to buy one of each! I would take each one and drop them from a parking garage. After dropping each one I would then test them and see if they still worked. I would keep dropping from higher levels until I only had one that still worked. Then I would go fishing with the best one! Or would I?
HELD HOSTAGE BY PHOTOBUCKET

Offline kevt528

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2012, 08:44 PM »
I've had my HB 45 for almost 3yrs now with out a problem, hopefully the store will take it back for you.  Once you get it out on the ice i"m sure you will enjoy it.

Striker Ice Lite

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Some call me the Pannie Dropper
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:00 PM »
Get a marcum and don't look back.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline DBK81

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Shack is always toasty, Beer is always cold.
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2012, 10:20 PM »
Get a marcum and don't look back.

Ya cause they've never been damaged.  ::)

Offline TrackerG

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 12, 2012, 09:32 PM »
It cracks me up how many people are so positive that the flasher/finder that they possess is absolutely the best to own. And thats fine but why the need to bash other brands. If you are looking for electronics do your research online. Choose between the features that best suit your needs, read the reviews and make your choice within your budget.
 I dont check out very many of the flasher threads because it seems they always turn into that argument. I have friends with vexilar, humminbird, marcum...and guess what? They all find fish...imagine that!
Remember...just cuz you arent paranoid...doesn't mean they're not out to get ya!!

luv2fish2

« Reply #21 on: Dec 15, 2012, 06:36 AM »
i to had to deal with customer service at hb nothing but good things to say about them and their products , i also own a vex both are great units . I personally prefer my  bird i've got a 55 love the color change mode

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Dec 17, 2012, 10:28 AM »
Ya cause they've never been damaged.  ::)

Oh they may, but I just thought he might as well get the best right away rather than monkey around with the other two brands beforehand.
"The charm of fishing is that it is the pursuit of what is elusive but attainable, a perpetual series of occasions for hope."
-John Buchan

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Dec 19, 2012, 08:53 AM »
Oh they may, but I just thought he might as well get the best right away rather than monkey around with the other two brands beforehand.
Really. It seems Marcum is updating software or some other thing every year. Hummingbirds fairly new to the ice flasher market, what maybe last 6 years. They are correcting the problems as they appear.  If you want go with no headaches at all buy a Vexilar. They haven't changed anything in years. I guess when you get it right the first time the only thing you can change is the stickers.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #24 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:18 AM »
Really. It seems Marcum is updating software or some other thing every year. Hummingbirds fairly new to the ice flasher market, what maybe last 6 years. They are correcting the problems as they appear.  If you want go with no headaches at all buy a Vexilar. They haven't changed anything in years. I guess when you get it right the first time the only thing you can change is the stickers.

You are right, Marcum is updating every year while Vexilar sits in the stone age with outdated technology :thumbsup:
-John Buchan

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #25 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:31 AM »
You are right, Marcum is updating every year while Vexilar sits in the stone age with outdated technology :thumbsup:

hahahaha.   when the technology actually starts helping you catch more fish, then you can talk...

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Dec 19, 2012, 01:57 PM »
hahahaha.   when the technology actually starts helping you catch more fish, then you can talk...

Oh, you mean like this fish-catching technology below that is lacking with Vexilar?

Underwater Camera/Sonar with DVR combo
8-inch Flat Panel (800 x 600px) Color LCD with Video out
Intelligently managed sonar engine, driven by 4800-watts PtP
Four user-selectable sonar color palettes
User-defined on-screen "Dashboard” displays digital depth, battery voltage, range, gain, interference rejection (IR), target adjust, or any combination thereof
"Multifaceted Sonar Display” LCD windows - "water column vertical,” vertical zoom, flasher-dial and traditional widescreen graph displays
Industry-exclusive Sonar Footprint technology displays area of bottom coverage at any depth, with either 8° or 20° transducer cone angles (ex: 20° – 32ft depth - 11.3 ft ‘footprint diameter’)
MarCum sonar features
Patented Infinitely Adjustable Zoom and Bottom Lock Zoom
Patented 12-level Interference Rejection (IR)
Adjustable Scroll/Ping rates
Transducer offset settings
Chart zoom
Fish ID with Depth
Color/B&W Camera w/on-screen displays of: Temp, Depth, Relative Direction
User defined screen options include; All camera, all Sonar, Split screen, & heads up display {HUD}. Built in DVR for recording and on-screen playback. Records to SD card. Video out & Video in. Solar intelligent display, Darkwater® LED Lighting Technology Onscreen information displayed in standard, metric, w/ multiple language options. Sony Super HAD II CCD, .01 lux camera with 75-feet of cable
Includes rechargeable 12-volt 9-amp battery, charger and deluxe padded softcase
Snow Shield Faceplate included
MarCum Automatic Camera Panner Included

When you get a chance, show me the comparable Vexilar model.   ;D
-John Buchan

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
« Reply #27 on: Dec 19, 2012, 02:36 PM »
Like i said, when any of those features help you actually catch more fish then any other high quality flasher, you let me know... @)   ALSO, Marcums still don't work in deep water (over 150 feet) nearly as good as a vexilar Fl-18....wait....wait....

why am i getting sucked into this debate....why oh why oh why....

Any flasher is better than NO flasher. ;D

there I'm done.

Offline Voltaire

• No view profile
  • Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #28 on: Dec 19, 2012, 04:52 PM »
Like i said, when any of those features help you actually catch more fish then any other high quality flasher, you let me know... @)   ALSO, Marcums still don't work in deep water (over 150 feet) nearly as good as a vexilar Fl-18....wait....wait....

why am i getting sucked into this debate....why oh why oh why....

Any flasher is better than NO flasher. ;D

there I'm done.

Marcums are the highest-powered sonar and work the best in deeper water. All of the extra features help you catch more fish as it gives a fisherman better, more precise, and more accurate data.
-John Buchan

Offline fishville

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Dec 19, 2012, 11:22 PM »
I'm sorry I just wanted to wind you up. I've never seen a Marcum in action, here in Ct it is rare you see anybody using electronics on the ice. If you do it is usually a FL-8 or a Hummingbird.
Sometimes it feels like I live in a Pat McManus story!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.